Loving My Gas Stove During Shoulder Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't have my Woodstock installed till after Thanksgiving last year. First fall with the stove, and am loving the ability to warm the basement quickly. She ran all weekend long in the dead of winter and at night after work during Jan and February 2012. In shoulder season, after 3 hours running, I usually lower the flame and in a few more turn off completely. My basement was always cold before even with the furnace running. I could have run a cold air intake to the furnace down here, but this stove works way better especially if we want it really warm where we hang out and allow the upstairs to cool with the furnace not running often for the upstairs.

Yes they are nice in shouldr season and when it turns cold. Did you notice if the stove saves gas during winter ? Mine save the gas bill about 1/3. Only use the furance at night to keep pipe from freezing.

Now theoretically, this stove is 72% efficient and the H.E. furnace is 92%, so the furnace should win. However, I am only heating half the house with the stove and being very warm while letting the upstairs cool. We spend alot of our time down here, and there is no way it would ever be so warm down here otherwise. House is only 1,050 sq feet upstairs and 1,050 sq feet downstairs, so heating bills are always low. I can say that I didn't notice the bill go up and we crank this thing when we're home. We both work lots of hours, so the house is allowed to cool much of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.