Low Burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckee83

Sep 24, 2012
With the warm temperature yesterday I left the house in the morning, turned the stove down and never bothered to fill it as it was pretty low on pellets, I figured that it would probably run out by noon or before and would be good and cold when I got home so that I could clean it. Well that was with good intentions and all until to my surprise when I got home the stove was still burning. It barely sipped pellets all day, I guess with the recent cold temperatures I forgot that on the low settings it literally sips pellets and will run for a few hours on a few handfuls.

One question that I will through out there though is that when it finally ran out and I went to clean it there was, what I would say, a good coating of creosote more so in the bottom of the stove and behind the ash pan. Is this a common site for low burns and will it burn off when we crank it back up hotter again when it turns back cold?

With the warm temperature yesterday I left the house in the morning, turned the stove down and never bothered to fill it as it was pretty low on pellets, I figured that it would probably run out by noon or before and would be good and cold when I got home so that I could clean it. Well that was with good intentions and all until to my surprise when I got home the stove was still burning. It barely sipped pellets all day, I guess with the recent cold temperatures I forgot that on the low settings it literally sips pellets and will run for a few hours on a few handfuls.

One question that I will through out there though is that when it finally ran out and I went to clean it there was, what I would say, a good coating of creosote more so in the bottom of the stove and behind the ash pan. Is this a common site for low burns and will it burn off when we crank it back up hotter again when it turns back cold?

mmckee83-... Good question, I get this kind of phone call almost every day during a winter warm-spell.....It is not uncommon for this kind of build up when the stove is running on low. Your stove, when running hot, will burn nice and clean. But remember that on a lower setting, it is not burning as hot and the air from your combustion blower is not as strong either, thus resulting in a burn pot that gets glogged up a little bit more. Liken it to driving a car....when you are doing a lot of stop and go driving around town, your injectors will get a little dirty....but when you hit the highway and rev it up a bit, they clean right out. I guess the bad news is that when it is warm out, you need to do a little extra to clean the stove. But the good news is, when it is warm out,...well, it is warm out.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.