Low Clearance Inserts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwburn

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2005
Connecticut
A friend of mine was about to buy a Jotul Kennebec (and then a Hearthstone Heritage) but he was going to need a mantle shield in order to meet clearances.
Our town told him they would not issue a permit for ANY stove requiring a heat shield, even if original equipment. Thought that was really odd.

So he now being told by the dealer that a Winterwarm Large is the only insert they carry that is going to meet his required clearances (that dealer carries VC/Hearthstone/Hampton/Regency).

Any ideas on any other inserts that usually have pretty low mantle clearances? (he has a raised hearth/sorry i don't know the exact distance).

yes...I Iam installing a Regency 1100 into a prefab, It's clearence to mantel is min 20" Mine too is a raised hearth Also the regency 2400 is 20"...if he has the rest of the clearence's covered the lrg 3100 model only has a 19"

Interesting thing "those clearance factors". When looking at inserts in my neck of the woods, the regency met requirements and the PE`s did not with the exception of the Vista with the heat shield. I don`t want to derail this thread, but it would be nice if some one could explain why the smaller inserts require greater clearance? Eg-Vista without heat shield 29 inches-Pacific 24 inches. I would have thought that the larger the insert the more clearance it would need, but that`s not the case. Indeed, it seems to be quite the opposite. Can you not raise the mantle??

I know...I read and wonder the same on clearence..I was only qaoting the specks I have in front of me ,out of the Regency brousher. the 1100 is a flush mount unit, might make the difference, and 2400 comes out 7", still doesn't explain the 19" on the 3100???

Status
Not open for further replies.