Low Clearence Wall Venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mulepackin

Aug 28, 2015
Great Falls Mt
Hello. Been visiting on occasion for info on various topics. Couldn't find much on this detail so here I am. I have recently purchased a cabin that has an Earth Stove of I'm guessing 80s vintage. I realize the limitations and age of this unit and that is a separate topic.

My main issue for now is that the stove was installed in basically an entryway with too little clearance. There was also a 4w x 5t window behind the stove. I have replaced the window with a shorter one. I intend to build a low clearance wall along this wall now since I've reframed the old window opening.

I will do Wonderboard against the studs up to the bottom of the new window, then a 1" offset Wonderboard wall faced with cultured river rock.

My question involves the bottom and top openings of the offset wall. I don't like the idea of wide open space that could allow mice, insects, etc to set up housekeeping. I thought of a ventilated baseboard and chair rail/mantle piece. But wood wouldn't be noncombustible. Has anyone integrated any kind of screened tubes or vents into stone or otherwise protected these openings in an aesthetic way from vermin infiltration?

Hello. Been visiting on occasion for info on various topics. Couldn't find much on this detail so here I am. I have recently purchased a cabin that has an Earth Stove of I'm guessing 80s vintage. I realize the limitations and age of this unit and that is a separate topic.

My main issue for now is that the stove was installed in basically an entryway with too little clearance. There was also a 4w x 5t window behind the stove. I have replaced the window with a shorter one. I intend to build a low clearance wall along this wall now since I've reframed the old window opening.

I will do Wonderboard against the studs up to the bottom of the new window, then a 1" offset Wonderboard wall faced with cultured river rock.

My question involves the bottom and top openings of the offset wall. I don't like the idea of wide open space that could allow mice, insects, etc to set up housekeeping. I thought of a ventilated baseboard and chair rail/mantle piece. But wood wouldn't be noncombustible. Has anyone integrated any kind of screened tubes or vents into stone or otherwise protected these openings in an aesthetic way from vermin infiltration?
What vermin get a cat

Screen it. There's no reason why the top and bottom of a wall shield couldn't have screening over the 1" gap at the bottom and top of the wall shield. Also, no need for cement board behind the wall shield. You can leave the current wall as is. It is the NFPA 211 wall shield that is doing the protection.

Screen it. There's no reason why the top and bottom of a wall shield couldn't have screening over the 1" gap at the bottom and top of the wall shield. Also, no need for cement board behind the wall shield. You can leave the current wall as is. It is the NFPA 211 wall shield that is doing the protection.
I had no idea what he was talking about. So the vermin were going to live in the nice cozy gap?

I think that is the concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.