Q&A Low draft with Vermont Castings Intrepid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I've had a Vermont Castings stove for about a year. It's their small model. I have the hardest time keeping fires going let alone getting the stove up to 500 degrees so that I can get the catalytic converter going. I think my problem is not enough draw. Is there something I can put in the stove that will hold the wood high enough to get the draw going. The stove is too small for any fireplace grates I've come across. Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

Answer:

A grate will not help a low draft situation. You must either:
1. Tighten up the pipe and chimney (furnace cement between the joints- etc.)
2. Raise the chimney height
3. If it's venting into an oversized chimney- line the chimney with Stainless Steel piping.
4. Install a draft-inducing fan on your stovepipe or chimney Also- make certain your wood is seasoned and dry. Low draft is a problem- and nothing short of improving it will create satisfaction with your stove. <p>
The link below is to a company that produces height extensions for chimneys.

Link: Extend-A-Flue Chimney Extenders

Status
Not open for further replies.