Low flame on older model Accentra

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scelder

Jun 19, 2014
Indiana
I've got a test install of an older model fresstanding(c. 2007) used Accentra (dealer floor model) I picked up.

I'm getting very low flame on it. If I crack the door a bit, the flame shoots up. I'm guessing a lack of combustion air is the problem?

I've run about 5 ft double-walled 3 in pipe straight up into an old-but-solid 35' masonry chimney, maybe 2-3 feet above damper and smoke shelf. Never had any problems with draft in this chimney when a wood stove was installed. Two Harmon dealers told me this was an acceptable installation.

I have not sealed off the damper area. My plan (on a previous thread) was to cover the front of the firebox with an inexpensive hearth pad, which I would cut a 3'' hole through to run the pipe. The T-clean out would be in the old fireplace, behind the hearth pad, flush with the surround. Have not done this yet either, waiting to see how the test install operated.

So is this low flame caused by draft issues? Would a few more feet of pipe up the chimney help? I'd rather not run 35' of flex pipe all the way up, if I can help it.

Any help is appreciated!

(FYI the dealer did a thorough cleaning of the unit and a test run before I picked it up).

Sounds like a possible lack of combustion air. Is your home sealed tight? Try leaving the door on the stove shut and cracking a window near by to see if that improves the flame. You might need an OAK ( Outside Air Kit ).

Where are you in Indiana?

Sounds like a possible lack of combustion air. Is your home sealed tight? Try leaving the door on the stove shut and cracking a window near by to see if that improves the flame. You might need an OAK ( Outside Air Kit ).

Where are you in Indiana?

I'm in Southeastern Indiana, Cincinnati metro area.

Home is definitely not tight. circa 1830 brick Greek Revival.

Outside air kit would be pretty difficult for me with this install unless I went through the wall (13 inches of brick), which I'd rather not do. Since it's on a brick hearth in front of an old fireplace, I don't really have anywhere to run the pipe.

You are very close to me. I'm in Rabbit Hash directly across the river from Rising Sun. Did you buy it from Weideman in Sunman?

I'm 20 minutes from Lawrenceburg.

You are very close to me. I'm in Rabbit Hash directly across the river from Rising Sun. Did you buy it from Weideman?

Ah, I'm Rising Sun born & raised. Just outside of town now. No, not from Weidemann's. I found a used floor model on craigslist from a stove shop in Wabash, IN for 1/2 the price of new, and also saved on install.

Of course, my "installation savings" depend on hearth.com!

They are pretty easy to install. Straight line I'm only a few miles from you then. I fired up my P68 this morning with the wife wanting it warmer. It's running now. You know what weather I'm getting. House stat was reading 63* - 64* this AM so I caved in and fired it up. It's nice to have.

Weather is supposed to be nice again tomorrow and all week in the 70's. You'll be happy with that Harman. There are several here with the Accentra like Zeus, F4, and many others. PM me if you want. You could pull fresh air in from the chimney below your exhaust.

I'm a contractor and can offer suggestions and help as will many others here to get your install squared away. It really is fairly simple and easy. How far is Wabash? And who is the Harman dealer there? Weidemann's isn't cheap but they know their stuff (Stan) and keep plenty of parts and such in stock. Close by too. But everything you would want or need is readily had on the internet for much cheaper prices and you get it in a day or two.

Good Luck! PM me and we can trade contact info if you want or stay in touch here.

I have had my Accentra installed both ways and never noticed a difference. Tuck bats of insulation around the pipe above the damper opening. Esp probe nice and shinny?

Thanks for all the input -- contacted the gentleman at the stove shop in Wabash, he suggested that it was actually overdrafting due to the open hearth / tall chimney, and going into "idle mode". Apparently this is also indicated by a slower pellet feed -- which I had noticed, but was not yet sure was an issue.

I'll block the chimney and report back, hopefully for the benefit of someone else down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.