Low height rear clearance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

claydogg84

Minister of Fire
Sep 9, 2013
Salt Point, NY
A friend is looking to install a freestanding stove in front of his fireplace, but the top clearance is only 24". Any recommendations?

That's a tough one. Hearthstone Castleton is the only one that I remember with that low of a clearance. Maybe also the High Valley 1600 which is spec'd at 23" from the hearth but I don't know whether that is center or top of the flue exit. Why no insert?

That's a tough one. Hearthstone Castleton is the only one that I remember with that low of a clearance. Maybe also the High Valley 1600 which is spec'd at 23" from the hearth but I don't know whether that is center or top of the flue exit. Why no insert?

It's not a masonry fireplace. It's a metal unit run into a mason chimney. I wasn't sure if he was allowed to do an insert in that sort of unit.

Could be a heatform when it has a masonry chimney which should not be a problem with an insert. Further info and some pics would be helpful. Or having a certified chimney sweep going over it.

Could be a heatform when it has a masonry chimney which should not be a problem with an insert. Further info and some pics would be helpful. Or having a certified chimney sweep going over it.

Yeah it was hard to get a good look at the unit. He just bought the house and the previous home owner still has to remove a bunch of stuff from the living room.

Status
Not open for further replies.