low pressure and noisy pipes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony H

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2007
N Illinois
Went and made the adjustment to set the water flow direction in the HX to counter flow like a few others have doen expecting a little hotter air at the vent and I got a whole nother thing.
After the change the EKO seemed to be running ok until it got up to about 71c and I noticed the pressure was staying at about 14 or so . I looked at the pipes and found a small drip where the burial pipe connects to the PEX in the basement on the hot side so I tightened it up. The temp seemed to be stuck at 71 and when I went down to the basement I could hear the water gurgling at first I thought it was a faucet left on upstairs as the pipes all go thru the same area. Checking all the bathrooms and not finding anything I realized it was the PEX going to the sidearm and HX in the basement.
What the heck was going on ? The water temp was getting up to 160 + but the boiler was running and would go to 73 or 74 then drop back to 71 and the pressure was in the 14 / 15 range.
Stayed up late babysitting the thing and thought I better put this question on the boiler room and someone will know what's going on but I was too tired and just went to bed.
I woke up a few hours later and then it hit me air in the line but why wasn't the air scoop getting it out after all it's at the high point in the system ? I let the whole thing cool down and took the air scoop apart and cleaned it out put it back together thinking it wasn't all that dirty or gummed up but I fired the boiler and now its running great with a nice heat up and the normal 17lb pressure and no gurgling noises guess it was the air and the scoop not venting it that caused the whole thing.
Just another lesson in operating a boiler for the first time. Don't know where I learned this stuff must have been here. Thanks

One needs to manually purge all the air from any pipes or tubing. An air scoop mainly removes the air contained in the water.

I did a manual purge when first filling the system with water. I later added the glycol and did not purge because I did not want to push any glycol out of the system. When I had the system open a different time the air scoop seemed to take care of purging the air without losing any glycol. What purging procedure can be used that preserves the mixed water ?

Tony H said:
What purging procedure can be used that preserves the mixed water ?

Purge into a 5 gallon bucket that contains a small pump that is pumping back into the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.