Lower ash pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jocko1

Burning Hunk
Feb 1, 2014
Jersey city,NJ
I just got done burning the last of 7 tons of stove chows. Great heat but as expected very ashy. Looking for something a bit cleaner. Want to stay under 300 per ton. Any recommendations?

Douglas fir pellets are really hot and minimal ash. Blazer pellets use DF and can usually be found for under $300.

i have tested a ton of all 8 of the pellets in my area,best for low ash and under 299 here i listed below in least amount of ash first

okanaga platnium
turman
barefoot
country boy
alleghaney
hamer hot ones

Have not tried Turman's, but Hamer's ULTRA Premium is very low ash. Some in our area appear to be selling Hamer's Premium, bas157 (someone in Phoenixville had some on CL at high price). Paid $300/ton for Ultras in Sep. Trying for lower price over summer.

American Wood Fiber Pure White Pine Ultra, very low ash and under $300. Ash content is .25 and they burn like .15. 8700 BTU, right up there with Oakie Douglas Fir, except here Oakie is over $345 a ton and AWF is under $250 when you can find them..

Last edited:
Have not tried Turman's, but Hamer's ULTRA Premium is very low ash. Some in our area appear to be selling Hamer's Premium, bas157 (someone in Phoenixville had some on CL at high price). Paid $300/ton for Ultras in Sep. Trying for lower price over summer.

My Hamer do NOT say Ultra Premium, maybe that is why they seem ashier than other people are saying they are. Got mine from Kegerreis in Bernville. Very hot, but filled up the ash pan in my P68 in about 12 days. Turmans I could probably have gone 4 weeks without dumping the ash pan

Lignetics surprised me to be very low ash. I knew they'd be better than stove chow, but they are great. Hot and clean burning too!

If you could ever find them, Big Heat softwoods from TSC. I wish I had bought 5 tons when they were in stock locally. Tiny amounts of almost white ash, and plenty hot. By far the best I've burned in my 4 months of experience. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell from the bag if they're the all-softwood variety or the mix, which I've never seen. 10 bags got me through the coldest stretch of the year.

Myself, I'm planning on getting the bike out shortly and putting the Hamer Down... or kicking it in the ash hole....

Think I am the only one here on the forum that get's these Super clean Low Ash Energex..

Attachments

• Bag_PremiumHardwood.png
    Bag_PremiumHardwood.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: alternativeheat
Myself, I'm planning on getting the bike out shortly and putting the Hamer Down... or kicking it in the ash hole....
Around here you might end up in the woods, maybe on the bike or maybe thrown off.. Pot holes and frost heaves galore !! A cop got killed that way last spring here. Off duty on his own bike.

My bikes I pedal BTW.. I've owned two motorcycles but after being a pallbearer at the funeral of one guy I knew ( he used to pit crew for me when I was drag racing cars), just knowing of another acquaintance who died, another guy I knew had both hands crushed and wrists broken and know a woman with a mangled leg from motor cycle accidents. Well I just sold the bikes. It totally turned off my desire to ride. With the exception of one, everyone was cut off, cut in front of etc. Oh and I know of one more, cut off and strained himself through a picket fence. Then there was the guy who strained himself through the pedestrian sign over by the ice cream stand, layed there dead as a mackerel on the side of the road. Too much traffic here with nutty people or just oblivious people in cars. Plus the cell phone factor nowadays. forget it.

Motorcycles are great just be careful. One crash can be life altering . No such thing as a fender bender when riding a motor cycle.

Think I am the only one here on the forum that get's these Super clean Low Ash Energex..
That's because you're the only one who can find them! I've tried everywhere out in Chester county, and no one has them. We're a pellet poor area.

Around here you might end up in the woods, maybe on the bike or maybe thrown off.. Pot holes and frost heaves galore !! A cop got killed that way last spring here. Off duty on his own bike.

My bikes I pedal BTW.. I've owned two motorcycles but after being a pallbearer at the funeral of one guy I knew ( he used to pit crew for me when I was drag racing cars), just knowing of another acquaintance who died, another guy I knew had both hands crushed and wrists broken and know a woman with a mangled leg from motor cycle accidents. Well I just sold the bikes. It totally turned off my desire to ride. With the exception of one, everyone was cut off, cut in front of etc. Oh and I know of one more, cut off and strained himself through a picket fence. Then there was the guy who strained himself through the pedestrian sign over by the ice cream stand, layed there dead as a mackerel on the side of the road. Too much traffic here with nutty people or just oblivious people in cars. Plus the cell phone factor nowadays. forget it.

Motorcycles are great just be careful. One crash can be life altering . No such thing as a fender bender when riding a motor cycle.

Not necessarily. Ihad a guy on a Wing rear end me last year at a stoplight. He hurt the bike and his pride and my rear door (hatchback), tail light and bumper (which he paid for plus his bike.....)

I've been rifing since I was 15 and I'm 65, so thats a few miles under my boots. The odds are probably against me but it's fun plus I use one bike for commuting.

Not necessarily. Ihad a guy on a Wing rear end me last year at a stoplight. He hurt the bike and his pride and my rear door (hatchback), tail light and bumper (which he paid for plus his bike.....)

I've been rifing since I was 15 and I'm 65, so thats a few miles under my boots. The odds are probably against me but it's fun plus I use one bike for commuting.
My stepson commutes on an older Goldwing. But he isn't who rear ended you!

No.......... With a Wing hauling pellets is possible, a few bags at a time... (gotta keep on subject or the censor police will lock the thread...lol

No.......... With a Wing hauling pellets is possible, a few bags at a time... (gotta keep on subject or the censor police will lock the thread...lol
The Stepson built a trailer for his, they take it touring though. They don't haul pellets in it, low ash or otherwise..

Dang they had a wood stove in the cabin they rode 400 miles to in Maine last year but that's as close as I can get to stove talk/pellet talk in this discussion I'm afraid.

Last edited:
I have 3 bikes right now. One adv bike and 2 road bikes, about 2, too many.

Burned 2 tons and so far 1 of the regular energex ,this year by the time it's done it'll be 2 of each with no complaints . 20 below Jan and Feb and we were sitting in our shorts .Already put in order for next year ....

NEWP. There's great!

Someone on here a while back said they were garbage but I can't say personally, unavailable here.

Status
Not open for further replies.