Lower fireback plate removal Vigilant II MFR 11/83

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasD

Oct 13, 2013
Dover, NH
The question:
Is there a trick to removing the lower fireback plate?

The (mostly unimportant) details:
My folks had this VC Vigilant II in their house from when they purchased it in late 1983 or early 1984. The date stamped on the back of the upper fireback plate is 11/15/83.

This stove was only used for maybe five to seven years, then sat idle because my father wasn't satisfied with the piping (as it was reduced from 8" to 6", which is not sufficient for this stove). After a few years of sitting idle in the living room, it was removed and the hearth broken down and removed. The stove lay idle in their basement for the past ten years or so. Mice had taken residence, and this thing is totally littered with seeds and packing from the rodentia. The outside has a good bit of rust which I'm not too worried about cleaning up.

I recently had my oil furnace replaced with a gas furnace which is direct vented, and so I have the chimney freed up for the wood stove. I loaded it up in the truck and brought it to my house, and got it in the basement (with help, of course). My decision to clean out the baffles turned out to be the best decision I could have made, since there was so much creosote and mouse "stuff" that there was no way anything could have flowed through...

I have tried to google up an answer, and searched around hearth.com. Lots of good, useful information, but nothing specific to this lower fireback plate that I could find. Perhaps my Google-Fu isn't that great.

Any help with this is much appreciated.

To be clear as to where I'm stuck, I've removed piece 68, 43, and 5 in the following drawing. Piece 47 appears to be stuck to piece 40, and I don't see any place that it screws into it.
http://stovepartssales.com/product/vigilant-ii/

So thereal question is: why? You've done enough to more than adequately clean the smoke chamber, so game over! Just vacuum out the holes in the lower or just out through the primary air hole in back. Dude, yer done! Reassemble and burn!!

Status
Not open for further replies.