Lowe's 50% off seasonal fireplace and heating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Mike Holton

Since I just bought one of your stoves today I cannot comment on it's use / quality / durability / etc.

I would, however, like to tell you that I would never have made this purchase, sale or no sale, it if it wasn't for all of your comments in these forums.

I searched the forums last night to check on this stove and, although some people had problems with their stoves, you popped up every time offering help.
From that I can tell that you and your company have a strong desire to keep customers happy and their stoves working well.

Thats enough for me.

staplebox said:
@Mike Holton

Since I just bought one of your stoves today I cannot comment on it's use / quality / durability / etc.

I would, however, like to tell you that I would never have made this purchase, sale or no sale, it if it wasn't for all of your comments in these forums.

I searched the forums last night to check on this stove and, although some people had problems with their stoves, you popped up every time offering help.
From that I can tell that you and your company have a strong desire to keep customers happy and their stoves working well.

Thats enough for me.

I agree, as this is one of my deciding factors in buying my stove at Lowes the other day and so far so good, runs like a champ!

Keep up the good work Mike

staplebox said:
Thanks for the initial tip on the 50% savings.

I bought the 55-SHP10L at Lowes in Waterford for $598. I had had an eye out for a cheap used pellet stove for next season. This is a whole lot better. Construction looks fine to me.
Now I need to find a place to install it. I hadn't thought quite that far ahead yet, but I have a couple of options. Unfortunately, they were out of the vent pipe kits.

The store had one more of these and one more of the bigger pellet model on the floor. The guy who worked there told me that they had about 250 stoves (not sure what models) at their warehouse/central distribution area and they were just looking to get rid of them to make space and move on to the next season of stuff.

With the Quad burning free wood in the basement, and this heating the main floor, I am about to be completely off oil in the house.

Now if I can just find a coal fired steam car...

Bought the same model myself and yes Lowes inventory of pipe has much to be desired... But a couple miles down the road to the Home Depot and I got all the pipe and supports, etc. I needed... Go figure... hmmm I think there is a Stanley Steamer in DC at the Smithsonian

zeta said:
AwsumSS said:
Not an expert.....but....a lil birdie....ok
a couple lil birdys that actually work with lowes and home depot filled me in on the
"stove products" they sell....one person I know is the supervisor for contractor sales
that didnt even buy his stoves from them. Not slamming them but they informed me
...that the "long term wearability and whats inside the stove is what makes them be
able to knock the prices down as opposed to the brands being sold at the dealers.
Thats just what I was told by some of their own employees thats all.

Apparently those "lil birdies" were not experts either because everything I've seen and heard
on this forum about england stove works assures me that their stoves are made well AND
they stand behind what they make. If I see one for that price around here I'm buying me
a second pellet stove. :coolsmile:

I wasnt meaning they were experts, they are employees for at least 10 years and I was just commenting on the oddity of their own employees "choosing" to buy outside of their company.(One chose a Mt. Vernon AE and the other chose a Harman) But I believe they chose simply because of "service" as in "personal service calls" and not any lack of service from Englander(they have great tech service etc but no actual serviceman to come out) or any other brand that the "home stores" sell. The dealer where I bought mine has been approached by Home Depot to become "certified" to be an exclusive servicer for the Englander Stoves in Southern Maine(but wont be able to sell them). That will most likely boost Englander sales quite a bit. The local Home Depot told my dealer that their #1 complaint with any of their stoves is the service "after" the sale. Some people are handy and some people are not and they expect service like "yesterday" lol...And we all know that with pellet stoves you better either know your stove a little or have a good servicer than can meet the needs of fixing your stove if it should break down. :)

stoveguy2esw said:
as for any thought that the "summers heat" brand being a "lower line" i can assure you that is not true.

just as an FYI; the name "summers heat" doesnt refer to a season. the founder of the company Robert Summers England is where the name came from, though after his passing, thought up by his son(and current owner) Ron England. as in "his heat" rest assured , no "lower standard" line will ever leave the factory with that mans given name on it. nor will there ever be a "lower standard line" sold by ESW. its pure random as to what hull will end up built under what line , same with motors and electronics or anything else. that may happen in some industries by some companies , but it damned well doesnt happen at ESW

That is easy to see if you just look the product over. As I said before, they are really nicely built stoves.

It gives me a warm feeling to hear the story about the naming of the stove line. I'm thinking the summers heat line could be the GMC of Englander. LOL. Really it does affirm what kind of company Englander is. I'm liking what I hear more and more about Englander!

Bill... said:
Bought the same model myself and yes Lowes inventory of pipe has much to be desired... But a couple miles down the road to the Home Depot and I got all the pipe and supports, etc. I needed... Go figure... hmmm I think there is a Stanley Steamer in DC at the Smithsonian

HD in Danbury also has a lot more pipes and supplies for their stoves than lowes.

staplebox said:
@Mike Holton

Thats enough for me.
I agree...I have read them too and Mike and Rod both are super! And of course their gonna promote their brand well :) I love seeing all the advice they give.....its great. I hope I dont need to much advice as far as repair but its great to see them providing the service in here that they do. I try to promote this site quite a bit because they do have some good qualified dedicated service people on here.

bret4 said:
If you are saying that some of the items sold at places like lowes are made to lower standards than for other places I'd agree with you. I have heard where things have been made cheaper for these kinds of stores to get the large orders they place. I don't see Englander doing anything like that. In fact it is amazing that they are so much lower in cost with out going out of the USA to do it. You don't see a bunch of china made crap inside of their stoves! They must be really automated to do what they do at their prices. Or it could be they are just not as greedy as most American businesses.

Not "yet" there isnt any chinese crap in them lol. Shoot, I work for a Government contractor making jet engine parts and we make some parts in china lol....sad. So in time everyone gets their piece of china in the manufacturing world....sad but true.

AwsumSS said:
bret4 said:
If you are saying that some of the items sold at places like lowes are made to lower standards than for other places I'd agree with you. I have heard where things have been made cheaper for these kinds of stores to get the large orders they place. I don't see Englander doing anything like that. In fact it is amazing that they are so much lower in cost with out going out of the USA to do it. You don't see a bunch of china made crap inside of their stoves! They must be really automated to do what they do at their prices. Or it could be they are just not as greedy as most American businesses.

Not "yet" there isnt any chinese crap in them lol. Shoot, I work for a Government contractor making jet engine parts and we make some parts in china lol....sad. So in time everyone gets their piece of china in the manufacturing world....sad but true.

The place I work for also has places in China and Mexico.

I bought my Summers Heat at the beginning of the season. We thought about waiting till the end of season sale, but wanted to be warm through the winter instead... Whatever.

I wanted to chime in as a season long ESW owner that these products are, in my opinion, built quite well. I have had no, zero, nada problems with any of the ESW built components, welds, construction of this stove. Don't be afraid or put off by the lower prices of Lowes and HD, especially at this sale. If they want to sell a good stove at a loss, let em. You can bet based on Mike's continual honest commentary about his stoves vs. the competition, the help he gives to others, etc. that ESW isn't a company that manufactures garbage, and is a company that will and is standing behind their product. While Mike's help to others on this board is great PR for his company, he's not making a dime off of any of the help he provides. He believes in his product, and want's others to have a great experience with it as well. That's what sold me on the Summers Heat when I went to purchase one.

Now, as far as Chevy vs. GMC goes, the GMC vehicles generally have more "luxury" options on them, but they come off the same assembly line. I had a 2002 Silverado 2500HD that I completely abused, and never had a lick of trouble out of it...Traded it in for an 03 Avalanche. I have no problem wearing a bowtie as opposed to paying more for the GMC, although both are fine prdocution lines.

Woops. Almost forgot to comment on HD vs. Lowes... Gotta get my .02 in.
Basically, agreeing with other posters here:

If you're planning on buying and installing the stove yourself, try HD first, depending on if you want the nickle vs brass trim. If you don't care, go to HD and get the brass trim, and you can buy all the different pipe you want there. I had purchased my stove (wanted nickle) and the basic pipe kit at Lowes, but then decided I didn't want all of those 1' pipes stacked together, and went and bought a couple of 3' pipes from HD, and sold the 1' pipes on eBay. HD has a much much better selection of pipe than Lowes - our Lowes only had the $300 pipe kit, nothing else. HD has the chimney cleaner kits, too. Didn't see those at Lowes.

Bottom line is that HD gives you the best chance to get everything you need for this install in one trip/at one place.

petejung said:
Woops. Almost forgot to comment on HD vs. Lowes... Gotta get my .02 in.
Basically, agreeing with other posters here:

If you're planning on buying and installing the stove yourself, try HD first, depending on if you want the nickle vs brass trim. If you don't care, go to HD and get the brass trim, and you can buy all the different pipe you want there. I had purchased my stove (wanted nickle) and the basic pipe kit at Lowes, but then decided I didn't want all of those 1' pipes stacked together, and went and bought a couple of 3' pipes from HD, and sold the 1' pipes on eBay. HD has a much much better selection of pipe than Lowes - our Lowes only had the $300 pipe kit, nothing else. HD has the chimney cleaner kits, too. Didn't see those at Lowes.

Bottom line is that HD gives you the best chance to get everything you need for this install in one trip/at one place.

Wish they'd(HD) do a 50% off end of the season Pellet Sale! lol lol

AwsumSS said:

From my research and talking to the local HD, they may have a sale next month. Don't know if it is true or not. Just a guess on my part.

bret4 said:
AwsumSS said:

From my research and talking to the local HD, they may have a sale next month. Don't know if it is true or not. Just a guess on my part.
Wow! I hope so....I am burning their Fireside Ultras and love them.....that would be cool if they had a "fire sale" so to speak.....with or without the sale I'm hoping to buy their Firesides for next season anyway but a sale would be super on the wallet!

Our whitfield cascade wp5 needs a new blower at around 250 to 300 bucks if I replace it myself. If I can get a 1500 sq foot pellet stove for 600 bucks plus tax... I'm in.
We will check it out today. Doubt we'll see anything but hey.

Are you saying englander is the same mfg as summers heat?

Peace

AwsumSS said:
bret4 said:
AwsumSS said:

Wow! I hope so....I am burning their Fireside Ultras and love them.....that would be cool if they had a "fire sale" so to speak.....with or without the sale I'm hoping to buy their Firesides for next season anyway but a sale would be super on the wallet!

Like I said, it is only a guess from what I was told at my local HD. I have burned the Fireside Ultra pellets too. They seem to burn nice and even in my stove. I have also tried Greene Team from lowes. They burned ok too, only the fire seemed to burn a bit lower before the next batch of pellets entered the burn pot. If anything the greene team seemed just a little hotter. I'm only talking about 2 bags of each. More testing is needed for me. Seems fireside ultra works good. I'm going to get more of those for testing next week.

Just picked up the vent kit in Plainville for $99. I believe that guy in the Manchester store laughed at me when I called to ask if they had any; tough to tell over the phone. I guess 50% off is a good way to sell stuff fast.

Good to know HD has more pipes. I think I am tucking the stove into a corner so I'll need 45.

Then I just have to wait for my wife to leave so I can cut a hole in the side of the house.

Can someone please tell me how many BTUs the stove rated for 1500 sq ft produces? I've been advised to get a stove that produces at least 40K BTUs. That's burning 5 lbs./ hour, right? So is the 1500 model big enough for my needs???? Thanks!

livesw/bigtrees said:
Can someone please tell me how many BTUs the stove rated for 1500 sq ft produces? I've been advised to get a stove that produces at least 40K BTUs. That's burning 5 lbs./ hour, right? So is the 1500 model big enough for my needs???? Thanks!

The rating inside the top cover of that stove (model 25-PDVC, 55-SHP10, 55-TRP10) is a 38000 BTU's. That is really close to 40000.

livesw/bigtrees said:
Mine gets almost 35,000 BTU's and rated for up to 1500 sq. ft. and I have approx. 1270 sq.ft on two floors.....I dont really heat up stairs except keeping the furnace zone on 55 and boost it up with the pellet if i need to.....but for the most part we heat only downstairs which is approx. 750 sq. ft. and it does us great...."most" of the time we keep it on low and on real cold days boost it to medium. I have no complaints at all except I want to fabricate a hopper extension that didnt come with the model I bought.

No Good here. Lowe's only has the seasonal heating items at 10% off in the Cleveland area... at least here on the west side of Cleveland.

bit_flores said:
No Good here. Lowe's only has the seasonal heating items at 10% off in the Cleveland area... at least here on the west side of Cleveland.

Ask. They didn't have the marked down prices posted in the stores here but they are on the website for each store and that is what rings up.

Look up the stuff on lowes.com for your store. If marked down it will show the lower price.

EDIT: I just checked two Cleveland area stores on line and they are marked down 50%.

livesw/bigtrees said:

Remember a few things....

5 lbs per hour = 3 bags per day, or about 2 tons a month. Very few people burn that much. More like 3 lbs an hour.

"produces at least 40K but"

Even a 5 lb per hour stove only has an INPUT of 40,000 BTU, so if we are talking "producing", it only puts from 65 to 80% of that into the house. So that means about 30K on average from burning 5 lbs per hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.