1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

lowes credit card

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by chrisasst, Nov 29, 2013.

1. chrisasst

chrisasst Minister of Fire

Loc:
    cortland ny
    Not sure if this is the place to ask this...
    How does the 5% cash back work when using a lowes credit card?
    I used mine for the first time ever a few ago to buy carpet. I charged $450 on it. The guy asked if I want 5% back or 6 months no interest. I said to do the 5%. I don't see where I got 5% off or whatever. Still got charged the $450.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Sounds like a question for someone at Lowes. :rolleyes:
  3. chrisasst

chrisasst Minister of Fire

Loc:
    cortland ny
    The cashier said it would come off on the credit card. The charge finally showed up online and it is still the original amount. I guess I will call them tomorrow.
  4. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    The rebate will probably show up on the actual bill, but I'd still call them tomorrow.

If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I have a Shell card that gave back a percentage, but now it gives almost nothing. If I don't use the card for Shell gas 9 times in a year, I get hit with a service charge. If I cancel the card, my credit rating takes a hit.
  5. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Why?
  6. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
  7. mithesaint

mithesaint Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Ohio
    Call them. I use my lowes card all the time, and the 5% come off at the time of the purchase. Something's not right.
    eclecticcottage likes this.
  8. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    The 5% may show up as points on your statement that you have to call in to redeem as a credit or a check they mail to you.
  9. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    This.
  10. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    The few times I used the Lowes card the cost came off right then and there at the register.

Another helpful hint . . . when I've mentioned the discount for using a Lowes card while shopping at the Home Depot (i.e. "You know if I was at Lowes and used their card I would get 5% off"), the Home Depot has given me the same percentage discount for using their Home Depot card simply by referencing the Lowes discount program . . . even though the Home Depot card does not normally have the discount (beyond the first time or two I used it.)
  11. Dave A.

Dave A. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    Last time I did that at HD (maybe a month ago) they said they were ending that practice of giving you the 5% if you ask for it (for a charge purchase) next month. Dunno if they followed through on that or if it's just local, or what. Just thought I'd mention what I heard.
  12. arngnick

arngnick Member

Loc:
    Mansfield, PA
    Cashier probably screwed up and pressed the wrong button giving you 6 mo. no interest. If this is the case you may see the charge show up in the "promotional summary" section of your bill. Good luck if this is the case because they gave me the 5% once when I wanted the no interest and the only way to do it was to refund that transaction and start over.
  13. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    Heard the same here at two different stores.
    Dave A. likes this.
  14. gregbesia

gregbesia Burning Hunk

Loc:
    central CT
    Sorry if this is off topic, but when I have a bigger purchase at Lowes , I buy printable cupons on eBay. Each is about $ 2.50 and gives me 10% off . They take them at Home Depot too.
  15. Dave A.

Dave A. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    Just picked up a metal ash can at HD. Figured they'd say I couldn't get the 5% anymore so I'd leave it, letting them know how I felt about the policy change by not buying it, and head over to Lowe's (which was on the way) and buy it there. But no problem got the 5% discount without question, though it was a different HD than the one that told me about the policy change.

Anyway, just wanted to set the record straight on this.
  16. bsruther

bsruther Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky
    When I have a big purchase at Lowes or HD, I buy gift cards for those stores from Kroger and get double fuel points. I don't know if it adds up to 5%, but it's nice getting 60 cents off, per gallon of gas.
  17. CTguy9230

CTguy9230 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest CT
    the HD by me has discontinued the 5% off policy for having a Lowes card
  18. nola mike

nola mike Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Richmond/Montross, Virginia
    You don't see the discount anywhere directly. The price comes up, you swipe your lowes card, and when you hit OK you'll see that the price on the screen is 5% lower than the original.