Lowes gouging already ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmountvernon

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2011
SE Mass
4.48 for green supreme .. 224 per ton
5.48 .. 274 per ton for Greene Team

Didnt know greene team were a super premium pellet ?

Rockys ACE had Lignetics for $6.49 bag

PJPellet said:
slls said:
Mroverkill said:
another reason i didnt go pellet

I don't miss the bugs.

or the cutting, splitting, stacking, seasoning....did I mention stacking? ;)

True that i live 500 feet off the road surrounded by free wood. I made the decision when i bought this place before i go thru all that work ill turn the thermostat dial and relax. But now i found Pellet's and im happy excited and addicted! :)

oldmountvernon said:
PJPellet said:
slls said:
Mroverkill said:

I don't miss the bugs.

True that i live 500 feet off the road surrounded by free wood. I made the decision when i bought this place before i go thru all that work ill turn the thermostat dial and relax. But now i found Pellet's and im happy excited and addicted! :)

I just dont want to spend over $2000 for a chimney pipe. Going for the pellet! Dont have to worry about clearance issues or an extra 12" of hearth pad in the front!

cuznvin said:
oldmountvernon said:
PJPellet said:
slls said:
Mroverkill said:

I don't miss the bugs.

I just dont want to spend over $2000 for a chimney pipe. Going for the pellet! Dont have to worry about clearance issues or an extra 12" of hearth pad in the front!

That's the reason I went for the second pellet stove rather than a wood burner. If the cost of the pipe wasn't so much and I didn't need to go up 25', then I would have gone with the wood burner for times like last week when the power went out. I'm still thinking of putting in a small wood stove in the living room just for emergencies and I'll keep a stack of bio blocks on hand.

PJPellet said:
slls said:
Mroverkill said:

I don't miss the bugs.

If you stack like I do you need to mention it at least three times :) :lol: :shut:

PJPellet said:
slls said:
Mroverkill said:

I don't miss the bugs.

Been there, done that for many years. If I didn't want to do something else with my time, I might still be burning wood.

The Lowes AND Walmart here STAY in price gouging mode!! They both want $5.97 for bags of worthless stuff like Nature's heat! AWF is also $5.97/bag at Lowes versus $4 something at HD. I'm getting Old Dominion from TSC for $4.49/bag and really like them so far...about 1/2 bag burned ;)

Kiver said:
Rockys ACE had Lignetics for $6.49 bag
thats per bag price . they also sell a ton for 249.00 Lignetics all hardwood(not the mixed conifer ones) the last time i checked.

oldmountvernon said:

The Lowes in Augusta is selling the Greene Team regular bags for 4.49/bag and the Platinum bags for 5.49/bag. I tried telling them that other Lowes were not doing that and that according to Robbie at Greene Team, they are the same pellet.

mepellet said:
oldmountvernon said:

The Lowes in Augusta is selling the Greene Team regular bags for 4.49/bag and the Platinum bags for 5.49/bag. I tried telling them that other Lowes were not doing that and that according to Robbie at Greene Team, they are the same pellet.

Indeed they are the same pellet, the platinum bags have a different barcode so that they ring up as a different Item number. Lowe's is not the only place that the price has gone up on 100% hardwood pellets. Many smaller places in the area have raised thier hardwood pellets to as much as $325 a ton.

Wondering if I should rethink buying a pellet stove and if I should go with wood......

I don't see it as gouging. The consumer has a choice on which pellet to buy.

I was at the Epping Lowes last week and witnessed a customer putting Greene Teams in her cart. The garden center attendant came over and said the cheaper pellets are over by building supply. Customer says "thanks but I like these better"... her choice.

I think the Green Supreme are a pretty good deal for $197 BTW.

cuznvin said:
Wondering if I should rethink buying a pellet stove and if I should go with wood......

I wouldnt just my opinion just try to buy your winter supply at the right time i grabbed all i need at $197 figured if im gonna pay the 65$ delivery ill make it worth it and i own a construction company so i have the trucks and equipment but at 65$ to deliver and forklift drop 6 pallets into the garage is well worth it

cuznvin said:
Cuznvin Its best to buy early. I bought first week in october. Unfortunatley you dont have a stove yet. before giving up check woodpellets.com. few different brands and delivered to home and put in grage if you have one.

Many places have a much higher per bag price if you don't buy in bulk. If you buy a ton or more, you get a much better deal. I wasn't in a position to buy in bulk during the summer but I do plan on buying 3 or 4 tons in the next week or so. I know I could have saved a lot of money if I purchased a few months ago. I'm still saving over HHO.

Just got back from Lowes and HD. Both HD's in the area sold out. Lady said they had 13 pallets on Friday and today nothing left. Lowes has Green Supreme and North American pellets. The NAP had a much lower ash content. They were $5.97 a bag for either one! Now I dont know what to do. Should I get some from Lowes or just order from woodpellets.com. Theyre premium plus(Cleanfire) is $5.60 a bag and the Cleanfire Super Premium (softwood) are $6.00 bag. Im thinking for what I have to pay at Lowes I should get the Super Premium from woodpellets.com

cuznvin said:
Just got back from Lowes and HD. Both HD's in the area sold out. Lady said they had 13 pallets on Friday and today nothing left. Lowes has Green Supreme and North American pellets. The NAP had a much lower ash content. They were $5.97 a bag for either one! Now I dont know what to do. Should I get some from Lowes or just order from woodpellets.com. Theyre premium plus(Cleanfire) is $5.60 a bag and the Cleanfire Super Premium (softwood) are $6.00 bag. Im thinking for what I have to pay at Lowes I should get the Super Premium from woodpellets.com

your right no brainer get the cleanfire before they go up too

oldmountvernon said:
cuznvin said:

Which cleanfire would you get? The Super Premium or Premium Plus?

cuznvin said:
oldmountvernon said:
cuznvin said:

Which cleanfire would you get? The Super Premium or Premium Plus?

my buddy swears by the Super premium he wont use anything else not even in the shoulder season

btw my buddy runs a Enviro M55 and cleans once a week

Status
Not open for further replies.