1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Lowes or cheaper kitchen cabinets questions

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by ckarotka, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    If I was a betting man I would bet Ckarotka has probably put in the cabinets by now since this thread is about two years old.
    woodgeek likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    We went to HD and spent 8 hours with someone working on the design (which we already had a layout for). In the end, the cabinets they offerred were limited and they were using top cabinets on the bottom with skirts added. I got the price and left. Went to a real cabinet shop and the fella came out to the house. We got CAD prints of design options with different view angles to support the options. In the end, plywood cabinets, maple drawers and wrapped doors (used a white cabinet) and the price was only 1000 more than HD was spec'ing, but with all the upgrades. Having a real kitchen person laying out the cabinets is crucial. There are many factors to consider.

As far as particle board goes, I view it similar to considering laminate flooring for a kitchen or bath. It will be fine until it gets wet. If you can say your stuff won't get wet, your a better person than I or just not realistic. Particle board will crumble if it gets wet. That is after is swells up and cracks the laminate.

I would also second looking for used cabinets. I have some really wealthy areas around me and there are cabinets for sale all the time on CL.
  3. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    GOOD CATCH! Wish you posted before I started to waste my time typing. Maybe this will be locked to stop the pile on.
    save$ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.