Lowes or cheaper kitchen cabinets questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was a betting man I would bet Ckarotka has probably put in the cabinets by now since this thread is about two years old.

Reactions: woodgeek
We went to HD and spent 8 hours with someone working on the design (which we already had a layout for). In the end, the cabinets they offerred were limited and they were using top cabinets on the bottom with skirts added. I got the price and left. Went to a real cabinet shop and the fella came out to the house. We got CAD prints of design options with different view angles to support the options. In the end, plywood cabinets, maple drawers and wrapped doors (used a white cabinet) and the price was only 1000 more than HD was spec'ing, but with all the upgrades. Having a real kitchen person laying out the cabinets is crucial. There are many factors to consider.

As far as particle board goes, I view it similar to considering laminate flooring for a kitchen or bath. It will be fine until it gets wet. If you can say your stuff won't get wet, your a better person than I or just not realistic. Particle board will crumble if it gets wet. That is after is swells up and cracks the laminate.

I would also second looking for used cabinets. I have some really wealthy areas around me and there are cabinets for sale all the time on CL.

If I was a betting man I would bet Ckarotka has probably put in the cabinets by now since this thread is about two years old.
GOOD CATCH! Wish you posted before I started to waste my time typing. Maybe this will be locked to stop the pile on.

Reactions: save$
Status
Not open for further replies.