Lowe's pellets WTF??????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SXIPro

Minister of Fire
Sep 28, 2009
Northern MA
Ok, so let me state this up front: I am not a fan of the big box stores, so save the "are you suprised?" comments. I have already decided I'll be burning Oganagans this year, but just wanted to share this.

I go into Lowe's today to pick up a grill for work, and some other crap I needed. For giggles, I asked the 'greeter' "what type of wood pellets do you carry". She had no clue, but was nice enough to jump on her little walkie talkie and pose the question to someone higher up on the food chain. After listening to a few uh-huhs an ah-oks from her she looked at me with her new enlightenment and said "Sir, we purchase pellets from 26 different suppliers, we then forward them to one central hub where they are all mixed together and rebagged, so we can't tell you exactly the mix you will get." ..........Excellent!!!

I had gotten a similar answer by phone earlier in the week, but it was in the morning before my second cup of coffee, so I thought I must have been dreaming.

This was the Lowe's in Nashua NH if anyone is wondering.

How incredible is that. Another case of "You get what you pay for"

I think I have heard it all now. Must just be that store. Because my Local has Green Team. Unless there reusing the bags too!

What a story!!!! :lol:

jay

jtakeman said:
I think I have heard it all now. Must just be that store. Because my Local has Green Team. Unless there reusing the bags too!

What a story!!!! :lol:

jay

No kidding. I should have just went out into their garden center with a razor knife and found out the truth. I'd love to find a decent enough cheap pellet to run on the shoulder seasons. Low ash, not much fines, decent BTUs. The crap I got last year almost made me sell my stove and hook my propane furnace back up. 'Blazers' and 'Fireside Ultras' F that, dirty glass and dust everywhere...

BTU said:
nonapologeticaLEE said:
Me thinx this one way they are selling cheaper. Buying bulk and bagging at their own plant

If you truly think that....then I have one mighty big bridge I want to sell you .......rebagging in their central warehouse...ROFLMAO...Not a snowballs chance in HELL that is happening. I would also question the 25 different suppliers of pellets. There are about 100 mills that product pellets in North America...most can't/won't do business with Lowes simply because of the volume they need and you can eliminate a bunch of others simply because they do export only..Now granted Lowes is regionalized,so they do have different pellets in different parts of the country, but 75% (again my guess) of their business is done in the North East, so you can eliminate MANY mills who just can't get their product back there competitively...

Thanks for a really good belly laugh on this subject...when in doubt, baffel them with BS ....rule #1 in big box retailing I guess.

I am in total agreement with you. I am in Distributor Sales as a career, and I could sniff out this BS from a mile away. WTF? Give me a straight answer and I may hand you $250 and drive off with a ton of pellets. Tell me this BS, and NO SALE. That is why I'll be supporting your brand this year. :)

I buy from Lowes.....BUT.... "I" educate THEM....they dont educate me. When I go on my mission for pellets I am vigilant and demanding....I dont care if its big box or little box..... I'm the one burning the damn things....and I am experienced enough to know BS or a word of truth. I've bought from dealers and I've bought from big box and I have got awesome from both and i have got crap from both.... no matter what.... everyone has crap.... lol

Support your local economy, ya you pay a few more dollars, but you get better products and service. Box stores have done more harm to the local commeraces than good. Mr. Lowes dosn't need your check to feed his family this week.

SXIpro, thanks for the laugh! Was at Lowes myself today... the incompetence is brutal.
MainePellethead... right on, couldn't have said it better.

Pook, Lee... why don't you girls go put on your pajamas and get ready for bed.

Sometimes I support local.... but most of the time my wallet wins over. However....even the pellets that are from big Box makes there way from a "locale" Some of my pellets that I bought at Lowes comes right from Maine(Maines Choice).
The local dealers arent making their bread and butter off of pellets..... its stove sales and stove service that is where their $$ is.... pellets are an added service.

stillersnut said:
Support your local economy, ya you pay a few more dollars, but you get better products and service. Box stores have done more harm to the local commeraces than good. Mr. Lowes dosn't need your check to feed his family this week.

SXIPro said:
Ok, so let me state this up front: I am not a fan of the big box stores, so save the "are you suprised?" comments. I have already decided I'll be burning Oganagans this year, but just wanted to share this.

I go into Lowe's today to pick up a grill for work, and some other crap I needed. For giggles, I asked the 'greeter' "what type of wood pellets do you carry". She had no clue, but was nice enough to jump on her little walkie talkie and pose the question to someone higher up on the food chain. After listening to a few uh-huhs an ah-oks from her she looked at me with her new enlightenment and said "Sir, we purchase pellets from 26 different suppliers, we then forward them to one central hub where they are all mixed together and rebagged, so we can't tell you exactly the mix you will get." ..........Excellent!!!

I had gotten a similar answer by phone earlier in the week, but it was in the morning before my second cup of coffee, so I thought I must have been dreaming.

This was the Lowe's in Nashua NH if anyone is wondering.
LMAOROF!!!!!

wow! I've got to ask HD how they do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.