1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Lowe's pricing for green teams and somerset pellets

Post in '2013-14 Pellet FUEL reviews-opinions-questions' started by mikeb3383, Oct 8, 2013.

1. jlupi

jlupi Member

Loc:
    hudson valley, ny
    I have some and burned some last yr. Found the heat OK but VERY ashy

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrendainNJ

BrendainNJ Member

Loc:
    NW NJ
    I called Somerset directly last week (# is on their website)...they were able to tell me if there will be any deliveries to my Lowes (NJ) or not. The lady (Sandy) was very helpful & said they have cut back their deliveries to NY & NJ since they can not keep up with the demand! But...there is a truck going to Newton this week w/22 tons on board--I was VERY happy! We've never tried them so I'm hoping they do OK in our stove, but worst comes to worst I'm sure we can sell them. Best part was the price...$196.50 :)
  3. Edward Hughes

Edward Hughes New Member

Loc:
    Eastern shore Md.
    Like the way you do business. Sandy was very helpful, but 21804 Salisbury,Md is 720 miles any way you cut it.
    I called Lowes in Mansfield Pa 16933 zip code, and asked if they had Barefoot, and they did not. I told them that they are made in Troy Pa
    Zip code 19947. I think that was 12 miles from their store. Their reason for what they carry, is without reason, and the price is
    without basic of expence. GO FIGURE
    Good luck with the sets. Hope they could send some down my way. One ton left at lowes of the Greenway pellets $237.50
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  4. jlupi

jlupi Member

Loc:
    hudson valley, ny
    I dont think lowes will ever carry barefoot.
  5. Edward Hughes

Edward Hughes New Member

Loc:
    Eastern shore Md.
    The Department Head is the best place to start, with any of the big box stores. They have Meetings with the mgr. on a regular basic.
    Lowes is good with customer service at 1-800-445-6937, and the others are on line good luck
  6. Vinelife

Vinelife Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    My Somerset pellets last year didn't burn as good as the year before. To be honest my pro pellets burn hotter ..
  7. Lowarea

Lowarea New Member

Loc:
    Horseheads NY
    You mean they're not perfect!! I'm sure they're excellent pellets and I hope to try them someday, but my Barefoots will suffice. Mfg. close to home and an excellent pellet.
  8. jlupi

jlupi Member

Loc:
    hudson valley, ny
    barefoot has a rep that allows them to charge a premium. selling in lowes could damage that.
  9. Edward Hughes

Edward Hughes New Member

Loc:
    Eastern shore Md.
    Thanks for the heads-up, on the barefoot Pellets.
    Each time I see, or hear about reps, I stop and Thank Mr. J. Takeman for spending so much of his time doing those two comparison list.
    Those list have put too rest, a many ah rep.
    I have an insert,and must watch the ash content of the pellets that I use. I hope those list will be up dated, from time to time.
    Hint Hint
  10. L.I. Pellet Guy

L.I. Pellet Guy New Member

Loc:
    Wrong Island
    Got to keep calling, I got lucky last night and found 5 tons of Sets. Bought all of them.
  11. Edward Hughes

Edward Hughes New Member

Loc:
    Eastern shore Md.
    BrendainNJ got sets coming to NewtonNJ for 196.50. Hope you did as well.
    The 9th post up on this page is the 196.50 quote, in case you wanted to PM or call.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  12. Wooden Head

Wooden Head Member

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I thought the Pro's were very good last year.I burned both of those last year and found them to be about the same
  13. jjk454ss

jjk454ss Member

How are the Greenways? I found some at Meijer for $3.99/bag, not sure pricing b the ton.
  14. schoondog

schoondog Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    dutchess county, n.y.
    Thats a great question. I've thought about this while talking to the guys loading my pellets back in August. ( they were saying the same thing ,these pellets go fast!!) I guess it depends on how much other pellets go up in price and whats available. Hoping the skew number stays the same and I can score my 3 tons early and avoid the decision. I will pay a little more for a good product, but if I can shop around and get similar BTU for less money than thats what I will do. I know this, I won't pay $279 for Green Teams when I can score Presto or Lignetics for $239. I do love the Somersets, just have to see the prices and other pellet availability. And if things get out of hand at the big boxes than I'll take the truck and trailer to Conn. and buy at one of the pellet houses.

Schoondog
  15. Phil Do's fire.

Phil Do's fire. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    I just tried a bag of the Green Teams, more ash than the somersets and less heat, really overpriced for the quality:p
  16. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    It had nothing to do with the demand IMHO, Because they show both the greene team/greene team platinum(lowes brands) and greene goldDealer brands) pellets on their website. http://www.greeneteampellets.com/#!ourproduct/component_53793

Robbie was pressured by dealers to raise the prices at the box stores so the local dealers can still make a profit on the greene golds. With the box stores barely marking up pellets the dealers were basically not going to carry greene golds if Robbie didn't make the box store add $$ and keep the dealers competitive!
  17. Edward Hughes

Edward Hughes New Member

Loc:
    Eastern shore Md.
    The greenway pellets are made from dried kiln wood flooring. They do have dust and some fines. They do have good heat

with very little ash, and no clinkers. At that price, you may be to late to pull the trigger.
    good Luck
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  18. jjk454ss

jjk454ss Member

Thanks, just got back with a ton, 3.58/bag if you buy 50. The manager wasn't sure if they would get more this year or not, but they had anther ton maybe. If I can test a few bags in time I may get the rest.
  19. Edward Hughes

Edward Hughes New Member

Loc:
    Eastern shore Md.
    That is a good price, not to get as much as you can, or share with those that would.
    Collingwood tenn. zip code is 38450 and Salisbury md is 21801, that is 883 miles and a truck driver wants 2.75 a loaded mile.I hope someone can tell me if that rate has changed. Hope you can share any light with all these question.
    Thanks for the Help
  20. Phil Do's fire.

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
  21. Edward Hughes

Edward Hughes New Member

Loc:
    Eastern shore Md.
    Thanks for the offer Phil. I think that is a qreat deal. Maybe a pellet mill close, could be better
    for a neighborhood group of 4 or 5.
    With the fuel prices going down, maybe the loaded mile price will
    Thanks
  22. schoondog

schoondog Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    dutchess county, n.y.
    Thanks Phil Do. Where are you scoring the LG and the Pacifics ? I did grab a ton of Okies a few years ago, they didn't do it for me. But hey I can be swayed !

Doggy
  23. Phil Do's fire.

Loc:
    Hyde Park, NY
    I got the LG & Pacifics on the early buy program @ wood pellets .com. Cost per bag delivered $5.18. The Okie black hills are also excellent but at $6.30 per bag by the ton not interested:p!!!
  24. Mike D

Mike D Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Haven, CT
    That's too bad, he lost the 4 tons I would have ordered from Lowes this year, even if I couldn't get them for the bargain rate last year. I would have paid the $219 they are charging for Green Supremes, but he (or Lowes) has priced them out of my market for a shoulder pellet. I would have thought that with the volume he has through the Lowes distribution network he would have been fine losing some of the Gold dealer biz. Oh well, Energex here I come!
  25. P61 PelletPig

P61 PelletPig New Member

Loc:
    NorthernNewYawk
    Meh. I burned 5 tons of GS last winter. Not great and not terrible. This will be my first year with the Set's. I'm hoping they are as good as the hype.