Lowest ash of box store brands?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oink Oink

Oct 9, 2011
North East CT
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on to what they thought the lowest ash pellet of all the big box brands were?

Probably the cheap-a$$ Big Heat pellets I bought at TSC. I wish I had 5 tons of those, monster heat and the least mess.

Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on to what they thought the lowest ash pellet of all the big box brands were?
Probably not a fair answer, but many Home Depots in the Northeast got Doug Fir Blazers from Oregon this year, starting back in September. Those are by far, the least ashy pellets.

No doug firs around here

Before do the leg work myself, do you guys know which stores have the firs? Looking at maybe buying next years stash now.

I think it's a crap shoot which box stores will have what. When asked, most employees say they don't know what's on the truck until it arrives. I am suspect that answer is given just to cut down on inquiries. Maybe if you get to know a store manager they might offer more info. The smaller pellet suppliers have a better idea and will know what is coming for the most part and it would be easier to pre-order from them but you'll generally pay more per ton.

I see you are in NE CT. Running mostly Sets right now but have burned many bags of Minuteman softies. Moderately hot but a very fine ash. I purchased those at the Putnum TSC and rumor has it they got more in, though I can't confirm that.

Blazers by far!!
but to be realistic, which means let's not assume we will ever see them at HD again,
[only reason I believe they we're there is I snagged 30 bags.]
I think the Presto Logs had the least ash aside from the Blazers...
Stove chows are good heat but mountains of ash...

Lowest ash pellets are the ones that somebody else on here is burning ............. incredible heat, no ash, only paid $149 / ton for, they make the stove cleaner than it was, and even cook dinner every night, do the laundry, and shovel the roof after they get the driveway done. In short, the ones I never have ..........................

Lowest ash pellets are the ones that somebody else on here is burning ............. incredible heat, no ash, only paid $149 / ton for, they make the stove cleaner than it was, and even cook dinner every night, do the laundry, and shovel the roof after they get the driveway done. In short, the ones I never have ..........................
ha.... funny...

Reactions: Edward Hughes
I'd have to vote PretoLogs as well. The ash I got from them in a month is about what I get in 3 days with these freakin Thermaglos. Uggh.

Blazers by far!!
but to be realistic, which means let's not assume we will ever see them at HD again,
[only reason I believe they we're there is I snagged 30 bags.]
I think the Presto Logs had the least ash aside from the Blazers...
Stove chows are good heat but mountains of ash...
My experience as well, except we never see Blazers here. As Tonyray notes, consider that a very odd occurrence that may never repeat. Pres-to-logs (Prestos) are the best box store pellet I have burned of those available in our area (maybe up to a dozen different ones tried over the years) and I bought four tons this year and find they work well except in coldest months, when I burn much more expensive Hamers specifically because of their lower ash production (about 1/3 as much as Prestos, even). Personally I find Stove Chows to be an ash production machine, and won't burn most other box store pellets at all if I can help it.

That I liked so much, I had to post a Reply, that I would even pay the freight for some of those.
Good Luck In your search
Choo Choo

I vote for Timber Heat, white bag, (made by Biomaxx, Pittsford NY). My Lowes (Flemington NJ) had these for a while.

I've roasted 3 ton of Sets and emptied the ash pan ONE TIME

If I ever win the lottery I'm buying a pellet plant complete and making my own pellets.

My experience as well, except we never see Blazers here. As Tonyray notes, consider that a very odd occurrence that may never repeat. Pres-to-logs (Prestos) are the best box store pellet I have burned of those available in our area (maybe up to a dozen different ones tried over the years) and I bought four tons this year and find they work well except in coldest months, when I burn much more expensive Hamers specifically because of their lower ash production (about 1/3 as much as Prestos, even). Personally I find Stove Chows to be an ash production machine, and won't burn most other box store pellets at all if I can help it.
Feral,
these are sold at some hearth dealers here in Pa. Energex 0,5 ash Kiln dried cleanest sawdust.... a pint or 2 more ash than Blazers..
my stove dealer here in Levittown area sells them once a year.. Like Boch seasonal beers.. Energex makes them at one time a year then that's it. Done. Bag_PremiumHardwood.png

Reactions: Wilbur Feral
Feral,
these are sold at some hearth dealers here in Pa. Energex 0,5 ash Kiln dried cleanest sawdust.... a pint or 2 more ash than Blazers..
my stove dealer here in Levittown area sells them once a year.. Like Boch seasonal beers.. Energex makes them at one time a year then that's it. Done.View attachment 154150
If only I could get them to come west... But thank you, as it gives me something to look for out this way. A call to a couple of Energx dealers has produced no joy to date on those. Harder to find than rare bourbon!

Feral,
my stove dealer here in Levittown area sells them once a year.. Like Boch seasonal beers.. Energex makes them at one time a year then that's it. Done.View attachment 154150

Dam stuff looks like corn..._g

Status
Not open for further replies.