lowest price on firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
Prices are coming down around Delaware/ Cecil country MD. At the being of the season all wood
was @ 200-225. Now it well under that here the loweat but there are a few under 150$ Here the best
deal I've seen. I don't buy wood, but this could be good.

All hardwood.We will deliver and stack for $115 dollars a chord if u are further than 20 miles a 10 dollar fuel fee will be added. Thanks looking forward to your calls
CASH!!!

I dont buy wood either , but thats a good price. Its dropped to $150 here around the 695 beltway area. Was $200-$225.

stays the same around here without the stack job! 115 cord stack thats very good price

johnsopi said:
All hardwood.We will deliver and stack for $115 dollars a chord...
I don't know what a chord of wood is since it isn't a legal unit of measure, but I pay a $100 for a sopping wet cord of 8 foot logs in the round. If that is a real cord and not a chord, I'd gladly pay another $15 for someone to buck, split, and stack it for me!

Poor spelling or legal loophole for deliberate deception to advertise something that isn't a real cord? If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I think that a stacked cord would be much easier to measure then a bunch of logs. As far a legal loophole goes if you d/s a short cord
that a lot of work to take it back home with you, plus 115 is not that low around here there 125,150 cords on criags list a lot.

With the recent drop in housing local loggers are hurting, saw a ad in the advance this week $1000 for a log truck with pup"=20 log cord" all cherry,maple, and oak in 8 foot lengths. does anyone know log to cut and split conversion? Nate

in NW PA. I get a dump load of dry already cut to my length seasoned ash splits for 200 delivered and equates to 2 standard cords

johnsopi said:
I think that a stacked cord would be much easier to measure then a bunch of logs.
How so? My wood guy's truck holds 12 cord of 8 foot logs. It's very easy to measure the length and height of the load.

A cord of wood in the round has less air space than a cord of splits. When I calculate the cu ft capacity of my woodshed, it can hold more than 12 cord but I can never fit the 12 cord that is delivered into it.

fabguy01 said:
With the recent drop in housing local loggers are hurting, saw a ad in the advance this week $1000 for a log truck with pup"=20 log cord" all cherry,maple, and oak in 8 foot lengths. does anyone know log to cut and split conversion? Nate

Nate, that certainly sounds like a good deal! To be sure though, I'd want to see the load before buying. Also, if you buy it, don't try to burn that wood this year.

LLigetfa said:
A cord of wood in the round has less air space than a cord of splits.

Absolutely. I usually get 8 cord in the round delivered, and once bucked and split it reliably fills the 8 cord wood stacker with 1-2 cords left over. I am easily getting 20% more wood out of a round delivery over a split delivery. What is worse is that split wood is almost always tossed in the truck, not stacked, so you are getting pretty light cords out of those deliveries. One year I purchased 4 cord split, and the truck was absolutely full, but once stacked it was less than 3.5 cords. Lots of air in there.

fabguy01 said:

Figure ~30% adder for bucked/split (1 log cord=1.3 bucked/split cord)

Status
Not open for further replies.