LP gas line extension Is outside shutoff a good idea?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
After almost 2 years of a non-working fire place, the gas line was extended today! It is now under the 4 PSI test waiting for inspection. See pic
Tank was under the deck and now is in back of the new workshop under the deck stairs.
Is it a good idea to have a shutoff on the line near the tank?

Attachments

• IMG_8685.JPG
    IMG_8685.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 151
It's ok to have one there. If that's the only gas line coming off the tank, it's not needed, since you can shut the main off on top of the tank.
If there are other lines feeding gas elsewhere in the house, it's nice to be able to keep gas flowing...

Thanks
I just noticed the PSI test jumped up to 5.5 PSI after the temp went Down To 16 Deg F!

I thought the cold would decrease the PSI like in my car tires??? Does that make sense??

Attachments

• IMG_8700.JPG
    IMG_8700.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 131
Thanks
I just noticed the PSI test jumped up to 5.5 PSI after the temp went Down To 16 Deg F!

I thought the cold would decrease the PSI like in my car tires??? Does that make sense??

I am assuming the test is a nitrogen test. Nitrogen does respond to temperature but less so than most gases. It could see a slight DECREASE in pressure with lower temperature. Does the extended line run through the house? If so has the temperature risen there.
Even if it isn't code imo there should be shutoffs within reach of all appliances being served.

Here is a calculator for changes in pressure due to temperature for nitrogen
http://www.oceanhvac.com/nitro.php

I am assuming the test is a nitrogen test. Nitrogen does respond to temperature but less so than most gases. It could see a slight DECREASE in pressure with lower temperature. Does the extended line run through the house? If so has the temperature risen there.
Even if it isn't code imo there should be shutoffs within reach of all appliances being served.

Here is a calculator for changes in pressure due to temperature for nitrogen
http://www.oceanhvac.com/nitro.php

Hello
The standard test isb nitrogen so you must be right. I called the gas piper and one of his guys came out and lowered the pressure back down to 4 PSI and the next day it went down to 3.5 PSI.
Anyway the inspector came and passed it.

Now the gas company can connect the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_8728.JPG
    IMG_8728.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 125
I'm just throwing this out of course I don't know but I have seen plumbers bump up test pressures to pass the inspection. So I would just keep an open ear-nose when the gas gets turned on. Remember that LP gas is heavier than air which makes it a concern especially if the piping goes through the basement etc.

I'm just throwing this out of course I don't know but I have seen plumbers bump up test pressures to pass the inspection. So I would just keep an open ear-nose when the gas gets turned on. Remember that LP gas is heavier than air which makes it a concern especially if the piping goes through the basement etc.
Thanks for your concern
However. I was there for the full test and it was started at 4 PSI so I am not worried there.
Also there is a walkout basement and no low spot for pooling of lp gas

Finally after 2 years of building the workshop under the deck and moving the tank from under the deck to behind the new workshop under the stairs going up to the deck, we are heating with LP gas!
Do not need the cement biscuit in the truck anymore that was under the tank when it was under the deck
We poured a little cement under the stairs and a walkway to the tank for easy access. :)

See pics

Attachments

• IMG_8738.JPG
    IMG_8738.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_8739.JPG
    IMG_8739.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_8740.JPG
    IMG_8740.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_8742.JPG