LP is now $2.23/gallon! Keep the wood stove fired up!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WiscWoody

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2011
Winter WI
I called my LP supplier yesterday and they said LP is going for a whopping $2.23 a gallon now due to the cold winter and last falls harvest being moister than usual meaning more LP usage by farmers and elevators drying their corn and grains. Last year at this time LP was $1.33 a gallon so the upswing would be quite noticeable on ones bill!

That's one more nice thing about burning my scrounged wood, I can ride out the spikes and fill my 500 gallon tank when the price has settled down during the summer. Jfyi....

$2.23 would be considered good around here. That's usually my summer price.

Reactions: WiscWoody
Paid 1.93 a month ago. 500g tank. Used to pay 3.50 for a smaller 100g tank. I never understood why LP price is dictated based on consumption. Oil isn't so why is LP?

$2.23 would be considered good around here. That's usually my summer price.

That's the highest price that I've seen up here and last summer I paid $1.19 a gallon for a summer fill and the year before it was $1.04. I only fill in the summer now since I put the wood stove in the house but I alway call during the winter to see what it's going for.

With rough ball park conversions our propane is going for about $3.25 a US gallon, and dollar. All kinds guys switching from fuel oil to propane, think I'll stick with dino juice for now.

Paid 1.93 a month ago. 500g tank. Used to pay 3.50 for a smaller 100g tank. I never understood why LP price is dictated based on consumption. Oil isn't so why is LP?

Are you saying that delivered heating oil doesn't fluctuate in price by how much is delivered? The rules for my LP suppliers is for a 500 gallon tank you need to order at least 250 gallons and for a 1000 gallon tank at least 400 gallons or they will add a surcharge of some amount. I've never seen a 100 gallon tank but there may be one. 250 gallons is pretty much the smallest up here but it gets damned cold up here too.

Are you saying that delivered heating oil doesn't fluctuate in price by how much is delivered? The rules for my LP suppliers is for a 500 gallon tank you need to order at least 250 gallons and for a 1000 gallon tank at least 400 gallons or they will add a surcharge of some amount. I've never seen a 100 gallon tank but there may be one. 250 gallons is pretty much the smallest up here but it gets damned cold up here too.
In all of our older homes that had oil the price/g was the same regardless of quantity but some places did have minimum of 100g. Just topped off the lp tank 1 month ago and took~ 149g at 1.93.

Hardly anyone uses oil here and the same with Minnesota. But the schools will use it for there boilers as a optional fuel when natural gas would spike in cost. I don't know if that'll be happening much for some time since NG is plentiful with the fracking thing. I worked on those boilers and we didn't care for using oil since they were harder to clean after burning oil for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.