LP tank for expansion tank additional questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goosegunner

Minister of Fire
Oct 15, 2009
WI
I am picking up my 1000 gallon tank tomorrow. The guy has a 120 gallon vertical lp tank I can get for $100. Before I buy something I don't want I have a few questions.

Is there additional concern for corrosion if using a tank like this vs a bladder expansion tank?

Are Bladder expansion tanks safer to use?

Which style requires the least amount of maintenance after setup?

Any major concerns to not use lp tank for expansion tank?

Is the cost of bladder tank worth the benefit vs lp tank?

gg

goosegunner said:
I am picking up my 1000 gallon tank tomorrow. The guy has a 120 gallon vertical lp tank I can get for $100. Before I buy something I don't want I have a few questions.

Is there additional concern for corrosion if using a tank like this vs a bladder expansion tank?

Are Bladder expansion tanks safer to use?

Which style requires the least amount of maintenance after setup?

Any major concerns to not use lp tank for expansion tank?

Is the cost of bladder tank worth the benefit vs lp tank?

gg
Don't know if you've priced large bladder tanks GG, they aren't cheap! The benefit of bladder is no tank corrosion & no taking in air in your system water. Members here report very little air problems if any & if a $100 tank corrodes you throw it away afer many years. I don't believe bladder tanks are safer. For a large water tank LP expansion is the way to go in my opinion unless 1, you have lots of money to spend 2, you can get a large used bladder tank. My large bladder tank was $7000.00 new, I paid $500, Randy

So if the lp tank corrodes I can replace it cheap. Could it cause more corrosion in the system itself, boiler?

gg

GG; Replacement would be easy even if different size. Your other question is one for the more experienced on here, Randy

I really don't Know the answer but I'm also going to use a propane tank for expansion for budget reasons. I've heard of people putting a thin layer of oil on top of the water in the exp. tank
to stop the oxygen from migrating to the water and a spiro vent (I think thats what it's called) in the line If I remember correctly.

woodsmaster said:
I really don't Know the answer but I'm also going to use a propane tank for expansion for budget reasons. I've heard of people putting a thin layer of oil on top of the water in the exp. tank
to stop the oxygen from migrating to the water and a spiro vent (I think thats what it's called) in the line If I remember correctly.
I've also heard of using nitrogen for charging, this ads to the cost though with tank,regulator etc, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
woodsmaster said:
I've also heard of using nitrogen for charging, this ads to the cost though with tank,regulator etc, Randy

I was going to ask about nitrogen but I thought it was another one of my crazy ideas.....that I might have read somewhere.

This whole project makes me think I should toss the computer and never use the internet again.

gg

goosegunner said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
woodsmaster said:

I was going to ask about nitrogen but I thought it was another one of my crazy ideas.....that I might have read somewhere.

This whole project makes me think I should toss the computer and never use the internet again.

gg
Untill the heat is pouring out of your boiler GG, Randy

I used an old but serviceable 40 gal water heater tank for my expansion tank. I only have 500 gal storage, so it works for me. As long as you are not continually adding air to keep pressure in the tank you are not adding any additional oxygen. I have only had to add to my tank when I opened the system to make changes and had to drain the tank. I've not had to add any additional air to pressurize the system otherwise. IIRC I had a slight decrease in pressure after the initial fill, but nothing since then. If it was mine, I'd go with the 120 gal LP tank. Assuming you don't keep introducing oxygen into the system (adding air to pressurize the tank, or adding water due to a leak, or not using oxygen barrier PEX) I doubt you will have a rust problem - those tanks have a decent wall thickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.