LP Tank rental charge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lance

May 18, 2012
Western Wisconsin
Going into my second year of wood burning, I had called my LP Co-op to drop from KEEP FILL to me calling them when I need a fill. I also had a credit close to $1000.00 on account. Today I receive a invoice for $79.00 for rental of tank. Has anyone else have this happen?

How did you get charged if you have that much of a credit? Did they already reimburse you? Did they charge you for rental before you stopped KEEP FILL. And last question, is that a monthly or yearly charge?

Last fill was in January 2012, Credit is from last year's heating contract season which is half of what I used. I transferd that credit to this year contract to price locked in low. This is a yearly rent charge on invoice.

Usually if you buy more than X gallons they waive the rental fee. My threshold is like 800 gallons or something/year.

Should all be spelled out in the original contract.

I pay a $50 per year tank rental. For my contract it doesn't matter about usage or "will call". Fitty bucks to have it in my yard.

They have threatened to take back the 500 gal. tank and replace it with a 250 because of my low usage. Wonder if the tank rental would be less?? Hmmmm...got me thinking now.

No fee here but ive been waiting for the ball to drop.
I lowered my usage even more by shutting the tank off May 1 - Oct 15. I think I saved 40-60 gallons/year doing this ( pilot lights off). Had to put them on call so they don't come to fill when tank is off and wang me for a relight/inspection charge.
I've scrounged up 2-100 lb cylinders and hoping I can find a 120 gallon soon in case the ball drops.
Jags, I have a 330 gal, and use 150/year. That gives me 2 years before I have to fill. Enough time to shop a good price given market fluctuations.

Mine is just under $21 a yr for rental. But after the 2nd yr of no fills, they now charge me an extra $99.99 for "No Usage". So I pay about $120 a yr to keep the tank I filled 3 yrs ago (still at 40%).

Sucks, but it happens... When I finally use the remainder of fuel, they are gonna come take there tank and I have Two 100 gallon tanks that I will use. Seeing how I only use about 100 gallons a year for cooking, the small tanks will work out just fine..

No "Pain" for heat....... Just to eat.

I would love to buy my own tank. Even a 1000 gallon sucker. Find a good price and whammo good to go for a few years.

(Lee - where the heck you been?)

I've got a 500gal tank that anyone who wants to venture south can come get. Before I turn it into a huge smoker
I haven't used any in 2 years, but prior to that the benefits of owning your tank are 2-fold.
1. No rental fee
2. you can shop around for the best price/gal. You'd be astounded at the difference between a local upstart and your established regional supplier, sometimes I could get 25-30cents cheaper by making a few calls. Doesn't sound like much but with a ~425gal fill it can be $100 savings.

Reactions: fox9988
I should look into ours.
I never signed a contract of any kind to get the service...

When I had the 500 gallon tank I got hit with a rental fee which I would gladly pay since I was still saving a bundle. After not calling for a fill last year they charged a different fee in addition to the tank rental fee. Needless to say that tank is out of here. I shopped around buying my own 500 gallon tank but after buying the tank, filling it and getting the regulators it was near 1800 bucks and I didn't want to shell that out when kid number two was on the way and my wife was getting ready for maternity leave. I found another company to bring me out two 100 gallon tanks and if I fill those once a year I won't get a rental fee and even if I have to pay a fee it's only 50 bucks. I had no issue with the fee with the first place but when they got silly with it I was done. ;lol

I can see their side of it though, they're a business and need to make money. A big tank getting little use doesn't make sense for them from a business standpoint. With last winter being so mild they were probably not letting any rentals slide since their numbers were probably WAY down.

Our 120 Gal tank was here when we bought the house. I called up and told them who I was, and they continued to bring gas when they thought we needed it. No contract, no rental that I've noticed. It's worked out OK. We only use the gas to heat water, so we go thru maybe 400 Gal a year. It DOES cost way more per gal, the smaller tank you have, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.