Lp tanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nwomatt

Oct 12, 2012
northwestern ontario
So I'm hoping to get my two 500 gal lp tanks next week. Then start the long awaited install of my 1 year old vigas 60. Can't wait! Both tanks are used does anyone have any good ways to clean them before I weld them together "stack them"? Once together and operating should I run for a bit and then change water? I've seen on here where people have done that.

So I'm hoping to get my two 500 gal lp tanks next week. Then start the long awaited install of my 1 year old vigas 60. Can't wait! Both tanks are used does anyone have any good ways to clean them before I weld them together "stack them"? Once together and operating should I run for a bit and then change water? I've seen on here where people have done that.
Drilled a 2" hole in each end and taped a 10' long copper pipe to the shop vac and went at it. I filled and drained a couple of times to get the rest of the rust dust out. See link in my sig for some pics.

I just rolled mine around so I had one hole at the low point, and another up top (both existing), then stuck a pressure washer wand in the top & hosed it down. Before that I had a big funnel taped to a shop vac hose stuck in the top hole oriented into prevailing wind for a week or two to blow it out.

Mine was pretty clean inside & not much if any dirt came out when I pressure washed it - so I likely didn't need to do that. And before I did the funnel thing I stuck some fire in the lower hole on the end of a long stick (just for kicks, ya know) with no results - so not sure I needed to blow it out either.

For what that's worth. ;lol

Reactions: hobbyheater
I second the shop vac. Get all you can out dry before you start washing. drain holes will plug with rust and water. You'll get sick of pulling it out little by little to keep water trickling out.

I used simple green and water. I've heard of using TSP.. quite a bit of it.

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.