LP to Wood Pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whc2010

Sep 28, 2010
We bought a recently (2008) constructed house that has an LP insert in the living room. Last winter we had a constant draft that I slowed down by jamming insulation into the direct vent pipe and around the fire box. Obviously we didn't use it while all that was in place. Anyway, it's pretty clear that the builders did a terrible job insulating and sealing the whole thing and this year we wanted to get that fixed. With the price of propane (currently $2.71 in our area and it goes up in the winter) we have been talking about getting a wood pellet insert to use as a primary heating source and using the existing central air system to push the warm air around the house. Last year we used the central heating which is fueled by LP :(. Does anyone have a recommendation? Has anyone done something like this? The insert would be on the first floor at one end of a two story house. The floor plan is pretty open and the house is about 2300 sq ft. We were looking at a 1500 or 2000 sq ft model. We were quoted about $4k to do the whole job. How is the noise level for pellet stoves? This would be in the same room as the TV so we wouldn't want it too loud. I ran some numbers and assuming the pellet insert would be the primary heating source, it would take us about 3 - 4 years to recoup the cost. Do you all think a wood pellet insert in the living room with a central air system would work well enough to replace the central heater powered by LP? Thanks for reading this and for any input!

BTW, the LP insert runs at 20,500 BTU - 32,500 BTU and the wood pellet insert runs at 17,200 - 47,300 (a little lower for the 1500 sq foot model, both are quadra-fire).

whc2010 said:
We bought a recently (2008) constructed house that has an LP insert in the living room. Last winter we had a constant draft that I slowed down by jamming insulation into the direct vent pipe and around the fire box. Obviously we didn't use it while all that was in place. Anyway, it's pretty clear that the builders did a terrible job insulating and sealing the whole thing and this year we wanted to get that fixed. With the price of propane (currently $2.71 in our area and it goes up in the winter) we have been talking about getting a wood pellet insert to use as a primary heating source and using the existing central air system to push the warm air around the house. Last year we used the central heating which is fueled by LP :(. Does anyone have a recommendation? Has anyone done something like this? The insert would be on the first floor at one end of a two story house. The floor plan is pretty open and the house is about 2300 sq ft. We were looking at a 1500 or 2000 sq ft model. We were quoted about $4k to do the whole job. How is the noise level for pellet stoves? This would be in the same room as the TV so we wouldn't want it too loud. I ran some numbers and assuming the pellet insert would be the primary heating source, it would take us about 3 - 4 years to recoup the cost. Do you all think a wood pellet insert in the living room with a central air system would work well enough to replace the central heater powered by LP? Thanks for reading this and for any input!

BTW, the LP insert runs at 20,500 BTU - 32,500 BTU and the wood pellet insert runs at 17,200 - 47,300 (a little lower for the 1500 sq foot model, both are quadra-fire).

I don't have an insert but a free standing stove. Central heating is not very good at distributing the heat from a stand-alone pellet stove. Others may have more experience but I cannot see a pellet stove as the only heat source in your home. It certainly would be a big improvement over the propane insert though. Pellet stoves tend to be noisy, depending on the model you choose.

Welcome to the forum.

I think more info is needed:

-where are you located?

-what is the price for pellets in your area, and what brands are available?

-are you "stuck" on Quads, or are there other brands available?

Thanks for the replies! To answer some of the questions:
-where are you located?
WV, eastern panhandle

-what is the price for pellets in your area, and what brands are available?
the only place I've been to says they run about $240/ton. I don't know what brands but I do know the models they offer are top load, which lends itself to using premium low ash pellets

-are you “stuck” on Quads, or are there other brands available?
I wouldn't say "stuck," but Quads are the only brand of pellet insert this installer carries. They said they would install one I bought myself, but he warned me it may cost more due to a longer installation (I suspect that was the salesman coming out in him trying to push me towards their stoves).

My hope was to be able to use it as a primary heating source but I haven't heard or read any success stories. We weren't really planning on using the fireplace insert as a source of heat, only when we had company or just felt like running the thing. With a $4K job estimate for the 1500 sq ft model, the whole thing sounds like it may take 3 years to recoup the cost...and that was assuming the pellet stove was the primary heating source! It sounds like the way to go for us is to fix the problem of the draft, leave the insert as is (possibly add a blower), and that should set us up pretty well.

Thanks again for the replies. If you have any other thoughts, please share them!

I took out the LP insert in our living room and put in a Quad Castile insert. I had taken the surround to a local HVAC shop and had them cut and bend the factory surround so it would fit into the opening that I had to deal with. The reason I put in the Castile is because of the size of the opening that I had to work with.

If we run the stove on high, it is quite loud to be able to hear the TV over. Medium is tolerable and low is quite acceptable. My wife just loves to sit in front of the fire while reading or watching TV.

We have an open floor plan. The heat circulates well between the living room, dining room and kitchen. The heat does not make it into the bedroom. I would not count on the furnace fan to move the heat around sufficiently for you. You may get some of the heat to travel up the stairs to the second floor, but not enough to be your only heat source.

Attachments

• Fireplace.jpg
    Fireplace.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 197
Status
Not open for further replies.