LPG Boiler Placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my LP boiler within 4 ft of the wood boiler. Here there is no code against doing so - at least my building inspector is fine with the setup. However my father inlaw is completely against because of the potential ignition source if there is a propane leak. To me either it is safe to use LP in the house or it is not since there are a multitude of other ignition sources (electric switches, lights, etc..). Obviously the two boilers cannot share a common chimney.

It depends also on the type of LP boiler. Sealed combustion boilers are best for several reasons. The burner is sealed and enclosed, no open flame and combustion air drawn from outside.

Sealed combustion also it eliminates the potential for all that airborne ash getting drawn into the LP boiler.

Since LP is heavier then air, an LP gas detector is required in some areas, if the boiler located in basements, or low areas. A LP along with a CO detector is always good insurance.

hr

Status
Not open for further replies.