LT tires...I was told a shortage is comming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ratherbfishin said:
I finally decided on a tire for my truck, I was going to go with the General Grabber AT2. 265/70/17. But.... they have been on national back order for 4 months,And I was told at least 2 more months (for the 4 ply) Can't get them anywhere including online. 2 different tire dealers told me within the next 2 months all tires will be in limited supply. I don't know if it is a production issue or a rubber shortage but that it what I was told. I can however get the tires in 10 ply. I have a 1500 Silverado crew cab. They tell me just to run them at a lower pressure and there will be not much difference than the 4 ply. Anyone agree or disagree? What tires have you really been impressed with? I go with a more aggressive tread like BFG AT type. My last set was trail mark M/S and they lasted very well but I don't need to go quite as aggressive as they were.

Steve

Did you try these guys? http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop....gorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&Transport=P&dsco=135

The Grabber AT2 seems to be in stock.
I ordered two tires for my F-150 a while back and they were delivered within a few days.

Jags said:
firefighterjake said:
Jags said:
joecool85 said:
If I put in 1,500+ lbs (truck maxes at 1,640lbs) I like to air up to 34-35lbs.

With a 3600 pound pallet of redi-mix cement at the back of the bed, was the first time I looked at the tires and thought "hmmm...shouda aired up the tires" :lol:

:) Someday I have got to meet you in person! Thanks for the chuckle Jags.

WARNING - I do stupid things.

WARNING -- I tend to stupider things. :) ;)

NATE379 said:
Do you think that a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is much heavier? My 2500 diesel Dodge Ram is only about 900lbs heavier than your truck if yours is truly 6000lbs.

Last set of tires I had were D (what are in pic) and now I have E. No difference in ride, but the extra weight rating does help me sleep at night.

I can't find a better pic, but here it is with the old tires. 300 gal tote of water, bunch of steel under the wood and then as much firewood as I could fit. Also that tank in the bed is a 50 gal diesel tank, tank alone is about 100lbs. Figure about 3500ish lbs.

I wish I had a pic when I towed a Case backhoe. Trailer empty was around 5000lbs and the backhoe I was told was ~15,000lbs.

Jags said:
If you put the tires from my truck onto your ranger, you wouldn't even need to pump them up. They would stand on their own side walls. With a 6000 pound truck, I run 30 psi in them, otherwise I don't have the weight to keep a flat foot print and they will wear in the center. Just sayin' the tires that I have are too stiff for any typical LT use. I can't imagine why you would want an E rated tire on a ranger. Thats rollin' like the Flintstones (rocks for tires).

300 gallons of water? You must get pretty thirsty when working on the firewood. ;) And yes . . . I'm kidding . . . guessing that you might have to haul in your water? I know my sister and brother in law grab their water at a roadside spring since they do not have running water at their cabin.

On another note . . . sharp looking truck.

Pineburner said:
In regards to LT or P rated tires. Pressure is the key factor. For example. A P265/70r17 113 S tire is rated at 2535 pounds at 35 psi. In a light truck appliction you reduce the load index factor by dividing by 1.1. So that tire in a LT application is 2304 pounds at 35 psi. The same size tire, in a TRUE LT rating (has already been reduced) (6,8,10 ply) requires MORE air to carry same amount of weight. And truthfully, even the load range C tire, the 6 ply, is rated as a 112 tire and does not meet requirements even though it cares 2470 pounds at 50 psi. Now the 8 ply and 10 ply tires, at 35 psi only carry 1890 pounds!!! way underrated. in order for those tires to carry the same amount of weight that the P rated tires in a light truck application carried they require apprx. 54 pounds of air. Now the 8 ply tires at 65 psi carry 2910 pounds, and the 10 ply at 80 psi carry 3195 pounds.NO way a p rated tire can acheive those load requirments. This is why when properly applied, LT tires on a P tire application result in a rougher ride. Now you all can run what ever pressure you want in what ever tire you want, but be aware that tire pressures and fitments have become huge issues in court battles as of recent. If your operation of a vehicle with underated or overloaded due to underinflated tires results in an accident, you can be held responsible!!!! And the place of business that allowed the improper rated tires on the vehicle can be held responsible as well. This is just the ramblings of a T.I.A. certified tire instructer.

My Ranger requires 245/75/16 in a P, so a 2,400 lb max carrying capacity. How much pressure would that require in a 10ply LT tire and do you have a chart showing what you explained?

Also, I'm not overly concerned with running 30-32lbs in a 10ply since my entire rear axle is only rated for 2,750lbs. Divide that by two tires and you're at 1,375 per tire. This makes sense because the whole truck only weighs 3,600 lbs. With a 70/30 weight ratio front to rear that means unloaded there is only 1,080 on the axle (540lbs per tire) and fully loaded to a 1,640lb max carrying capacity would put it at 2,720lbs or 1,360 per tire.

So most of the miles on the truck I have all of 540-600 lbs per tire, with every now and then going up to around 1,000 per tire.

The front tires should be fine too with ~1,260 per tire at any given time.

SO, I suppose that in a larger truck a 10 ply tire could make it ride rough if it does indeed require more lbs of pressure for a "standard load" situation. But due to my Ranger's minimal needs it doesn't much matter how many plies are on it because everything in my tire size is way more than I need lol.

Thanks for the link jabush, I'll give them a call. The site say's they have over 40 but I find that hard to believe since that tire is on national back order but we'll see. 156.50 isn't too bad a price but 101 to ship plus 40 or 50 bucks to install..dunno may be better just to go with the BFG's local or settle for another tire perhaps. I'll give the ole college try for free shipping like tire direct or tire rack has.

ratherbfishin said:
Discount tire direct was finally able to hook me up with the Grabber AT2's ...There on the way. :)

Let us know how well they do . . .

I like Discount Tire . . . decent prices and free shipping . . . or at least they had free shipping. Saved a lot of money in the past buying tires through them.

Status
Not open for further replies.