Lubricant for squeaky handle & hinges?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Propane_Poor

Oct 20, 2018
Ohio
Hi all,

Our Jotul F400 is pretty squeaky; any suggestions on a good liquid lubricant for the door handle and hinges?

I got some dry graphite powder last year but am not able to apply it-- it won't stick or stay in the necessary area, so I believe I need something liquid or spray based.

Thanks for input,

Hi all,

Our Jotul F400 is pretty squeaky; any suggestions on a good liquid lubricant for the door handle and hinges?

I got some dry graphite powder last year but am not able to apply it-- it won't stick or stay in the necessary area, so I believe I need something liquid or spray based.

Thanks for input,
We always use aluminum or copper anti seize

Neverseize works but apply it sparingly as its notorious for spreading.

Reactions: Highbeam
I use a brake grease sparingly. Temperature range to 3000 F.

Reactions: bholler
... Neverseize works but apply it sparingly as its notorious for spreading.

Here's an excellent video by FordTechMakuloco on doing brakes. He starts using antiseize at 10:00. Says to wear gloves and mechanics call it Neverleave. :)

Anyone who has worked in machine shop as a rookie will probably have found never seeze under the door handles on their car after a long shift.

Reactions: marty319
I tried a drop of 90 weight gear oil once. I do not recommend it. The sulfur stench was pretty bad.

Reactions: bholler
They make aerosol graphite that I use on the "swing-outs" on the T5 and door hinge every year when doing the yearly chimney, stove cleaning. Use sparingly.

Anyone who has worked in machine shop as a rookie will probably have found never seeze under the door handles on their car after a long shift.
Lol used to do that all the time.best one was putting it on hard hat liners.thanks for the memories.

Interesting info here, I never thought about trying to lube the hinges or latch. It's particularly noisy at 3:00 am if a reload is needed.. I've got some 3in1 RV Window and Track dry lube on hand. Has anyone tried anything like that?

Attachments

• Dry Lube.jpg
    Dry Lube.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 103
PDMS, the lube in there, may not be thermally stable at extreme temperatures. A quick search showed "thermally stable below 150 C."

I have the F500.
There is a pin on the handle that can be driven out with a punch, and the entire assembly taken apart. Corrosion tends to build up over time, making the handle and shaft tighter, squeaky, and possibly to the point of binding.
Take it apart, lightly emery cloth the door shaft and hole it inserts into just to clean it up, lube it with graphite, and it'll be like new.
The latch part where it hooks the frame - I take graphite, some on the end of a finger, and rub the pin and frame with it. It seems to need to be rubbed on or it won't be effective.

handle.jpg

Last edited:
On the enamel stoves, there a brass washer under one of the pins of each door. With out the washer's it's like finger nails on a chalk board.

PDMS, the lube in there, may not be thermally stable at extreme temperatures. A quick search showed "thermally stable below 150 C."

Thanks for checking that out, I never would have thought to check that. I'll have to go with one of the recommended ones already mentioned. It's a shame I didn't see this post about 3 days sooner, I just had my door off and replaced the rope gasket and window. Those push nuts are a bear to get off.