lubricant for stovepipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2009
NC
Anyone got ideas/experience for a lubricant to help stovepipe go together ? Specifically, I remove the connector (single-wall pipe between my stove and the double-wall chimney) when I clean the chimney. It's a slip-on fit (the top piece of connector fits over an adapter an the bottom of the chimney) and it takes some pretty tough rotating and pulling to get it off. I'd like it to go back on more gracefully, especially as it makes me nervous to be putting so much stress on the adapter.

It seems like any kind of petroleoum product (grease, vaseline) is going to smoke pretty badly first time I build a fire (though maybe no worse than after touch-up painting). There's WD40, which lubricates fairly well before the solvent evaporates, and maybe there's not much left behind to smoke at that point. Soap maybe ? Or perhaps heating up the outer pipe (top of connector) beforehand, with torch or boiling water ? I can't beat on it, as the connector comes off in one piece with a couple elbows, so nothing to hit really.

I use wd-40 on slip sections that won't come apart. It works well.

Ended up using the hot water method; seemed to work pretty well.

Doesn't graphite have a high enough burn/melt point to work without going to a high temp anti-seize compound solution?

I have some industrial dry lube molybdenum spray. It bonds to anything, plastic, wood, metal. I don't think it reacts to heat at all. It is used to coat piston skirts to prevent wear. If you can find some it would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.