1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Luck 'O The Scottish

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by pulldownclaw, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pulldownclaw

pulldownclaw New Member

Loc:
    Richmond, Va
    Happy St. Patty's Day to you all. I think I found the pot of gold right next door in my neighbors yard in the form of a nice red oak and big pine. He came over a few weeks ago and said the oak had been hit by lightning awhile back and was dead, and since he knew I was burning wood if I wanted it. It would save him money to not have it hauled away and it would certainly benefit me for 2011 and beyond!

The guys showed up to cut it today, I was glad to be home to watch them work. The owner of the tree company said the guy that climbed it was the only guy that would tackle the job. When he cut that first branch off and it came down and jerked the rest of that tree I thought it was coming over. There's no doubt those guys earn their pay.

The oak looks to be about 36" at the base, so it will deliver a fair amount of firewood. My back hurts just thinking about it, especially since I'll have to chunk it up and throw it over the fence into my yard.

I think I'll have me a Guiness tonight and enjoy the thought of all that free heat coming my way, cheers! :coolsmile:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TreePapa

TreePapa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Calif.
    Any chance of making a temporary opening in the fence to move the wood through, rather than having to heave it all over the fence?

Otherwise, be careful of your back.

Peace,
    - Sequoia
  3. lobsta1

lobsta1 Member

Loc:
    Eastern Ma.
    If that oak is 36", you ain't tossing it anywhere until it's split.
    Al
  4. pulldownclaw

pulldownclaw New Member

Loc:
    Richmond, Va
    Well, I guess it's because I'm Scottish and not Irish that they decided to haul away the pine. I guess my neighbor (or maybe his wife) didn't want to stare at two big piles of wood while I got around to getting it out of there. :down: I did make a good contact with the tree guy so he may dump stuff at my house when he's in the neighborhood in the future.

Oh well, there's still that big 'ol pile of oak over there, and no, I won't be tossing no 36" rounds anywhere, I'll be bustin' em up to manageable chunks before putting them over the fence. I'll still be worn out, no doubt, but that's a good feeling......
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.