Luck 'O The Scottish

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pulldownclaw

Feeling the Heat
Mar 2, 2007
Richmond, Va
Happy St. Patty's Day to you all. I think I found the pot of gold right next door in my neighbors yard in the form of a nice red oak and big pine. He came over a few weeks ago and said the oak had been hit by lightning awhile back and was dead, and since he knew I was burning wood if I wanted it. It would save him money to not have it hauled away and it would certainly benefit me for 2011 and beyond!

The guys showed up to cut it today, I was glad to be home to watch them work. The owner of the tree company said the guy that climbed it was the only guy that would tackle the job. When he cut that first branch off and it came down and jerked the rest of that tree I thought it was coming over. There's no doubt those guys earn their pay.

The oak looks to be about 36" at the base, so it will deliver a fair amount of firewood. My back hurts just thinking about it, especially since I'll have to chunk it up and throw it over the fence into my yard.

I think I'll have me a Guiness tonight and enjoy the thought of all that free heat coming my way, cheers! :coolsmile:

pulldownclaw said:
My back hurts just thinking about it, especially since I'll have to chunk it up and throw it over the fence into my yard.

Any chance of making a temporary opening in the fence to move the wood through, rather than having to heave it all over the fence?

Otherwise, be careful of your back.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Well, I guess it's because I'm Scottish and not Irish that they decided to haul away the pine. I guess my neighbor (or maybe his wife) didn't want to stare at two big piles of wood while I got around to getting it out of there. :down: I did make a good contact with the tree guy so he may dump stuff at my house when he's in the neighborhood in the future.

Oh well, there's still that big 'ol pile of oak over there, and no, I won't be tossing no 36" rounds anywhere, I'll be bustin' em up to manageable chunks before putting them over the fence. I'll still be worn out, no doubt, but that's a good feeling......

Status
Not open for further replies.