lumber for fire wood safe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brownclown

Sep 8, 2023
10512, NY
I am hoping i found some cheap wood that is dry and ready to burn but in researching safety i found an older post that has left me questioning my "score". I found "kiln dried Douglas fir". It looks to be end cuts from construction lumber. I see this being called dimensional lumber in the old post i linked. Is this a good find and safe to burn? I know some caution is involved but if i mix with a load of hard wood it should present an issue correct?

Kiln dried dimensional lumber arrives at the lumberyard around 8%MC, which is a bit low for safely burning in most stoves, especially if it's a large number of small 2x4 lumber with a lot of surface area per volume. But this can work very well when mixed with fresh cut cordwood, which may be insufficiently seasoned. Judge your cordwood accordingly, and mix the two to achieve something near net 20% moisture by weight.

However, if you're talking about kiln dried cordwood, that's a different matter, as that's usually only dried to 15% - 20%. The kiln's goal there is killing bugs and fungi with heat, not drying for use in building.

Kiln dried dimensional lumber arrives at the lumberyard around 8%MC, which is a bit low for safely burning in most stoves, especially if it's a large number of small 2x4 lumber with a lot of surface area per volume. But this can work very well when mixed with fresh cut cordwood, which may be insufficiently seasoned. Judge your cordwood accordingly, and mix the two to achieve something near net 20% moisture by weight.

However, if you're talking about kiln dried cordwood, that's a different matter, as that's usually only dried to 15% - 20%. The kiln's goal there is killing bugs and fungi with heat, not drying for use in building.
It is dried dimensional lumber. From pictures in add it looks like 2x10's. I am a brand new burner and just getting ready to put in first insert. Only recently learned about wood seasoning and the 20 % MC. For me i think this will be a good score as this year will be buying from a local "seasoned wood" guys around me. so you wouldnt worry about the chimney sweeps findings? do you think that is more from over firing than chemicals and what not?

This wood burns GREAT!! I used to have access to a truss builder that produced a lot of cut-offs from 2x4's and 2x6's, unfortunately the company moved out of town, but prior to that i hauled soo much wood home from them for years and burned in my stove. Just dont go crazy loading the stove with it because it burns hot and fast. I typically burned in the shoulder seasons where it didnt a lot of heat produced. Go for it!!!

Reactions: brownclown
It can be a PITA in older stoves with lousy air control. Once lit KD lumber wants to take off and burn hot unless the air can be controlled. its can be hard to keep a long slow burn.

As noted, mix with less-seasoned cord wood as required, aiming for 20% MC. If you don't already own a moisture meter, buying one and learning to use it properly is the rite of passage of all new stove owners. Start with the General, available at Lowes or Amazon for $30'ish. Just make sure it's the long probe version.

I burn cut offs and rejects from a molding shop. Its about 8 to 10 MC. Its burns very well,but not duration wise. BUT, its free.....