Lumberjack snacks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poindexter

Minister of Fire
Jun 28, 2014
Fairbanks, Alaska
I am partial to mixed tree nuts combined 50-50 with chocolate chips, a meat stick on the side, maybe some pepperoni or a beef log.

After the power tools are done I am partial to the darkest thickest heaviest beer I can find to make stacking go a little quicker.

How about you?

lumbersnack.JPG

Pepperoni rolls and haterade in the field. When stacking, Weiss or a good brown ale in the summer, octoberfests in the fall,begians and stouts in the winter.

I think I just realized why my stacks look the way they do.

I like plain ole salted sunflower seeds when I'm out cutting. For the after party I've been hooked on pork rinds and a good ginger beer, but Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat is always cold in the fridge

Man you guys are too fancy for me........ Slim Jim's and Pabst blue ribbon here lol.

Metrx Bar and water in the woods. When it's all done, some Sea Hag or Cone Flakes - local IPAs.

Massive breakfast and then just water in the field...

Massive breakfast and then just water in the field...

A 3 liter camelbak full of ice and water usually does it for me.

Reactions: mikey517
Sounds like you guys don't eat a lot when you are cutting firewood. I'm the same way. If I eat too much when I am working hard my stomach hurts.

I eat a light lunch when I am cutting firewood. I carry a 2 gallon Igloo round cooler full of water that I dispense into a quart Nalgene bottle. I alternate between water and Gatorade all day. There's too much sugar in Gatorade.

Just water in a Hydroflask in the woods. I try not to eat too much before or during outside work, makes me tummy hurt.

I don't spend that much time cutting wood in a day. Generally a reasonable breakfast is plenty for the 4-5 hours I spend cutting.

My workday, on the other hand, requires a snack. I graze all day. Fruit, nuts, granola, carrot sticks. Sometimes I have to resort to a PBJ, depending on what's in stock at home. My job makes wood cutting seem kinda leisurely, so any kind of midday meal is out.

And plenty of water. And Rockstars ;em

I am partial to mixed tree nuts combined 50-50 with chocolate chips, a meat stick on the side, maybe some pepperoni or a beef log.

After the power tools are done I am partial to the darkest thickest heaviest beer I can find to make stacking go a little quicker.

How about you?

View attachment 152548
Seems like you've the food pyramid about right, 'cept for maybe a good cheese.

Trail mix, store bought or home made, jerky of some sort (store bought normally, as I haven't had time to hunt :( ) and normally powerade or water in the field. I rarely eat when working. It's not that it makes me sick, I just don't think about food until I start slowing down.

I've been trying to cut down on alcohol, specifically beer as it increases the amount of aromatase in the body (the stuff that causes man bewbs) but I'll still grab a Killian's occasionally. Hard for me to say no to one of those.

High protein breakast, plenty of coffee, then just water. I don't usually have enough free time to cut all day, just 4 or 5 hours max, so I don't need any food while in the field.

My Grandfather used to cut wood for a living, as a lumberjack early on in his life. When he was in his thirties (1930's or so) he began as a coal shoveler (or a stoker as they called them) for the railroad and worked his way up to steam locomotive engineer over a period of time. He spent a good deal of his life cutting wood in northern quebec camps. He had a recipe for a special kind of bread that I still make, and it was used for the sandwiches that the lumberjacks carried. This is very much like the adapted recipe if you are interested: http://sectionhiker.com/logan-bread-recipe/

Reactions: Studdlygoof
Did you ever eat a tree? Many parts are edible. /Euell Gibbons

Sugar has a place in replenishing glucose stores in your muscles. That is why it is in gatorade. You don't want to chug it all day, but if you are at the end of a pretty strenuous day, the sugar is just fine for your body and helps prevent it from sucking nutrients from other places in your body.

I could stand to have my body use up some reserves. I have far more than I really should have and it makes me swell in places that should not. I'll take straight water thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.