Lunenburg Foundry "Campfire" stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jamie327

Oct 2, 2012
I recently inherited a Campfire model stove made by Lunenburg Foundry, which as far as I can tell dates from the early-mid 1970s. I'm interested to know two things. One, whether or not anyone has heard of this company and/or this model of stove. But more importantly I'm interested in determining the specs for this stove related to clearances and heat output so I can build the appropriate pad and surround. My local code officials state that they use manufacturer data when inspecting wood stove installations, however in this case I can't provide it to them since the manufacturer doesn't exist anymore.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

thanks!
jamie

It will probably need to be installed as an unlisted stove if there is no label on it. Does it look like either of these stoves?
sardine_little cod.PNG

I recently inherited a Campfire model stove made by Lunenburg Foundry, which as far as I can tell dates from the early-mid 1970s. I'm interested to know two things. One, whether or not anyone has heard of this company and/or this model of stove. But more importantly I'm interested in determining the specs for this stove related to clearances and heat output so I can build the appropriate pad and surround. My local code officials state that they use manufacturer data when inspecting wood stove installations, however in this case I can't provide it to them since the manufacturer doesn't exist anymore.

thanks!
jamie
Jamie, welcome to the site! Just my opinion, but that stove probably isn't listed in the Underwriters Laboratories. I think you would be much much better off to buy a more modern stove, one that has a hard-lined reputation AND is UL listed, because you are gonna benefit from both the safety AND the efficiency of a modern stove. I looked all over the internet and could only find the marine stoves (like the ones BeGreen showed you in his post) and this one in the picture below.......no pictures of the "Campfire" model.

Just my two cents.

b19d7515-61fd-4ff2-890b-01ff01f25d50_photo2_487.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I've done quite a bit of searching myself and came up with pretty much nothing. I reached out to the company in Oregon that makes a couple ship stoves based on old Lunenburg plans but have yet to hear anything.

I would really like to use this stove if possible. There's a bit of family history that goes with it, plus I don't think I've seen any newer stoves in the same style. But I'm definitely open to other options if need be. A photo is attached so you can see what I'm talking about.

View attachment 75987

That's a beauty. With some sanding and wirebrushing and then some high-temp paint or stove polish it would really look great. This will need to be installed as an unlisted stove. That means 36" clearances in all directions. However the clearances could be reduced with a proper NFPA wall shield to as low as 12".

Here's an article that covers installing an unlisted stove:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/wood_stove_clearances_installing_it_safely

Reactions: ScotO
That's a beautiful little stove! I'd look into the NFPA shield that BeGreen mentioned, if you plan on installing it. They just don't make them like that anymore.

Too bad Blaze King couldn't put their legendary firebox in a stove that looked like that.......I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

thanks!
jamie

Just thought I'd pop in and let you know that the Lunenburg Foundry does INDEED still exist and while they quit making wood stoves in 1986, they still do refurbs on their stoves - I recently purchased one of their Peacock cookstoves which they had done the refurb on. I'm led to understand that they are very helpful and courteous folks to talk to - they might be able to help you out.
http://www.lunenburgfoundry.com/Marine-Industrial-Manufacturing/Manufacturing-Home/welcome.html

Reactions: CreosoteCowboy
Just thought I'd pop in and let you know that the Lunenburg Foundry does INDEED still exist and while they quit making wood stoves in 1986, they still do refurbs on their stoves - I recently purchased one of their Peacock cookstoves which they had done the refurb on. I'm led to understand that they are very helpful and courteous folks to talk to - they might be able to help you out.
http://www.lunenburgfoundry.com/Marine-Industrial-Manufacturing/Manufacturing-Home/welcome.html

Wow, that's great, thanks! For some reason when I came across them before I assumed they were a different company. I'll have to contact them and see if they still have any relevant info on the stove.

thanks!
jamie

Hi Jamie- we have a client with two of these little beauties. No Manual, No Listing, No Plate.
They have been installed as Uncertified units with clearance reducing metal shields.
No problems and a great little heater for their northern properties.
Here is the info we have on the company

Attachments

• 1933.JPG
    1933.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 415

thanks!
jamie
Hi...i also have a lunenburg campfire stove. We will have to follow maximum clearance all around due to being so old and not UL listed....I'm looking for a flue collar for mine. Oval shaped and exits fron rear of stove. Thanks

Hi...i also have a lunenburg campfire stove. We will have to follow maximum clearance all around due to being so old and not UL listed....I'm looking for a flue collar for mine. Oval shaped and exits fron rear of stove. Thanks
Try antique stove rebuilder shops.

Reactions: DenisRonan

thanks!
jamie
Hi...do you still own the campfire stove? I'm seeking a flue collar for same stove

Hi....I'm not very good at sending photos....can only do using phone via text...my phone # is 781 856 9697....could you possibly contact me so i can send photo...thanks.

Thanks for getting back to me. Would it be possible for you to send me a photo of back of your stove so that i can see what the flue collar looks like? Thanks for any assistance.
I don't have one. That's why the suggestion to check with some antique stove repair shops. Or contact this shop. Looks like they may have taken over the foundry.

Thanks for getting back to me. Would it be possible for you to send me a photo of back of your stove so that i can see what the flue collar looks like? Thanks for any assistance.
I'm currently refurbishing one of these stoves. I didn't know if you were still looking for pictures but here it is. Very hard to get information on the "campfire" which is a shame as its a beautiful little stove.

tempImageL9bdA7.png

Reactions: begreen