Lurker/Newbie question....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldjammer

Sep 10, 2008
upstate NY
Hi folks! I've been lurking and doing some searches but I need your help. I "pulled the trigger" and laid out a down payment for a Hearthstone Clydesdale insert.
Single level ranch house with a straight shot from the fireplace through the living room, dining room, and kitchen( approx.60' X 16' total ) with hopes of expanding the heat range using fans
into adjoining rooms. My question is regarding install....I have measured inside a million times and I'm sure she will fit(not the flush mount) but it's tight...
How much minimum interior clearance, if any, is necessary??

Here's the fireplace she's going into( I hope!)......

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 398
I'm not an insert authority, but FWIW by brother's Lopi insert has about the width of a finger between the back top corners of the stove and the back wall of the fireplace. Larry

As long as it fits in, your golden.

Is it a masonry fireplace its going into? Not a prefab I hope?

What are the dimensions of the chimney (flue inside dimensions & height from fireplace floor to daylight)? Is it on an exterior wall? What's the chimney's current condition? Have you had it cleaned & inspected recently? Are you going to have a chimney liner kit installed? Insulated? Block-off plate? Welcome to the forum! Rick

thanks folks...here is some more input:
single story ranch
masonry fireplace
exterior
exterior "pointed" 3 years ago (the house is 39 years old)
I clean with a wire brush and rods every year
liner will be installed
installer uses insulation but thanks to this forum I have been considering a block off plate

I guess my biggest concern at the moment ( install scheduled for Oct. 7) is:

IF it protrudes even 1/2 inch is that doable??

I just measured again. Based on the catalog diagram it appears that at a depth of 13 and 5/16 inches I need a width of 31 and 1/16 inches.
It is very, very close so:

Is it OK if the insert touches the interior sidewalls of the existing fireplace?

If there is a gap between the surround and the stone face of the fireplace(there will be anyway because the stone is not flat like brick)
what would you recommend?
Thank you.

my setup is almost exactly like yours. One option is to ask for a larger surround. My stove had a larger surround, that I purchased, to take up that half of inch around the insert. They would of put it in, with the smaller surround, but said that it would just look funny with the gap. I thought of ways to put a medal place painted the same color around it, before the stove went in to take up the slack but it was not needed. The surrounds do have some insulation that you can pack behind them, to make it more airtight. I have heatilator holes above my insert, in the rock, so mine is not airtight, so they said don't bother, some of the heat will just radiate out the holes, which is fine. When they were measuring, it was purely just making sure it would fit, including the slant in the back of the firebox. I am not an expert, by far, but I asked a ton (I know some people are nodding their heads right now and rolling their eyes :) ) but I think as long as you can get it in the hole all the way, it is fine. It pulls air from the room. Yes the insert box gets hot, but so would a fire, in that fireplace. Someone will correct me if I am mistaken. My rock is not flat either, so unless you were to put insulation in the surround, lots of places it is not airtight, around the outside of the insert, in my situation.

oldjammer said:
I just measured again. Based on the catalog diagram it appears that at a depth of 13 and 5/16 inches I need a width of 31 and 1/16 inches.
It is very, very close so:

Is it OK if the insert touches the interior sidewalls of the existing fireplace?
Yes, thats fine. Hope it fits without having to force it too much.

If there is a gap between the surround and the stone face of the fireplace(there will be anyway because the stone is not flat like brick)
what would you recommend?

If the gap isn't real noticeable, leave it be.
Prolly best to leave it as is. Larger surround is the ticket for the gaps from stone side to insert side. Once you cover that up, any gaps behind prolly won't be that visible.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.