Lurker turned member - New stove Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JStone

Aug 14, 2014
Central, NY
Hello everyone,

Fellow upstate New Yorker been lurking a while. Got some great info on installing my new stove and proper firewood care and seasoning. I've been burning wood in a Yukon Eagle Oil/Wood stove that's in my basement for a few years. The unit was in the house when I bought it. I had bad firewood seasoning practice and had a chimney fire the first year (was kind of controlled o_O) I was getting the fire hot enough to burn out some of the creosote but that ended with the single wall pipe turning cherry red. Was quickly put out with a fire extinguisher but the smoke triggered the smoke alarm and the fire dept did come over. They put a fan in the door in the basement to help with the smoke and offered to clean my chimney. Joking with them I told them next time I need my chimney sweep i'll put some incense on the smoke detector! They also offered me a job to come volunteer with them. They are fairly close by only about 3-4 miles away and it turns out the chief is within a mile of my house. Really nice people.

The Yukon Husky that had the chimney fire was setup to fail. I found out later that winter when the creosote began to drip down the pipe and onto my concrete floor that the single wall pipe going through the concrete foundation attached incorrectly with the female ends going into the male ends so the black gooy stuff was all over the place. It's attached at the stove with a very quick 90, then about 2 feet of pipe to another 90 out the wall to a T clean out and then up above the roof line with double wall. (I hope that double wall is installed correctly! Not sure how it could be mixed up). My house is also only 1100 sq foot with 1100 sq foot unfinished basement and I found myself having to damper this stove down a lot due to the heat I was producing keeping the fire in the burn zone. Which could be another reason for my creosote buildup. I sometimes had windows open upstairs!

So...this year i'm installing a PE Super in the living space and am going to use the downstairs burner with the oil for supplemental heat in the side rooms of the house (nationwide i mean primary heat source o_O ).

Here are some pictures, so far hearth is done. Still need to get the roof and chimney done, gotta figure out which way I want to attempt the roof flashing on my metal room. Local guy said to use the boot flashing. Says its the best way to do it now adays. Still going to get a few more opinions. Oh also, Nationwide Insurance didn't require anything, just that my premium go up $91 per year. No pictures, no nothing. I'm through Nationwide Direct (I just called the 800 number when I bought the house to setup insurance). My local office said I would need someone to come inspect/take pictures if I was with them at the local level. I know I saw a post about people asking questions about insurance and all. Just thought i'd point that out. Going to ask my neighbor the fire chief about an inspection etc to make sure I cover all bases. Anyways..here are the pictures of the hearth, will update with more as the install progresses. I think it came out pretty good considering I've never made one before and my first attempt at tile/grout. Thanks for looking and glad to be apart of the hearth community.

0811140723a.jpg

0811140722.jpg

Welcome. That's a very nice hearth. Looks like a great start to a warm home. How's the wood supply for this season? The PE will want well seasoned fuel.

Very nice looking hearth.

Thanks! The wood should be good this season, cut in winter/spring hard/soft maple a few cherry. Cutting blocking and splitting for next year and the years after is ongoing. Like most trying to get ahead of the game with at least a 2-3years on hand. I'm still at a little of a catch up at this time. May have to purchase some seasoned hard woods from my neighbor down the road to finish out this winters supply/early spring, he sells face's for $50

If your neighbor has truly seasoned wood (that tests <20% on a freshly split face) then I would get at least a cord at $150. Hard maple and cherry cut in spring probably will not be ready. It'll burn, but at a notably lower heat output.

Looks very nice.

This is a great flashing. I used it with Supervent pipe. I can dig up some pictures from @webby3650 if you want to see how to install it.
http://www.icc-rsf.com/main.php?t=chem_produits&i=95&d=&l=en

I would defiantly be interested in learning more about this flashing and how it was installed. My local stove shop told me that the boot flashing is better because i don't have to rip up my metal panels to get the other types of flashing installed. I've done some research and i haven't quite decided so anything you have that would help would be appreciated. Also, i don't remember finding the answer to this questions: If I did decide on the boot flashing, using the silicone boot, can the insulated class a triple wall pipe be put directly into the boot so they are touching, I have seen flashing "kits" that are priced way higher than if I were to get the actual silicone flashing by itself. The kit seems to come with a metal barrier that goes between the stove pipe and silicone boot. Couldn't I make something for this purpose if it's required, or use a piece of single wall stove pipe that I have laying around? Thank's again.

On the wood situation, I have tested the moisture content I got a meter this year so I could have a better idea on what I am burning. It seems as though most of the wood I tested from the late winter/spring is around 20-23% MC and i'm hoping i get that down a little before burning season, I may plan on purchasing a little more from my neighbor to make sure i don't have any problems with the new PE Super. Next year I should have plenty. Felled a doz or more trees to make a clearing the wife wanted, still blocking splitting that up.

+1, for metal roofs the ICC flashing is superior.

Last edited:
Oh also, Nationwide Insurance didn't require anything, just that my premium go up $91 per year. No pictures, no nothing. I'm through Nationwide Direct (I just called the 800 number when I bought the house to setup insurance). My local office said I would need someone to come inspect/take pictures if I was with them at the local level. I know I saw a post about people asking questions about insurance and all. Just thought i'd point that out. Going to ask my neighbor the fire chief about an inspection etc to make sure I cover all bases.

$91 is quite a surcharge. I would get it inspected also for peace of mind and then shop around if you can find any cheaper insurance. If the rest of your install will look remotely like your hearth you should not have any trouble finding another insurance.

ICF that is the flashing Jeff linked for me?

Yes, typo, hit the wrong key on the cell. It should say ICC. I corrected it.

dude! , that hearth is TIGHT! looks great. don't forget to post a pic of that PE mounted there.
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I'll defiantly post more as the project progresses.

On that ICC flashing. Any of you have that installed? I'd love to pick your brain on a few of its details. Thanks!

That Hearth looks great....can't wait to see it with a stove on it....good job:cool:

I think I've made the decision to go with the ICC flashing. Makes the most sense. Gravity will shed water down when properly installed. The boot will need repair as well as silicone sealing every few years I imagine and will have more likely places for water to get trapped.

Reactions: jeff_t and begreen
On that ICC flashing. Any of you have that installed? I'd love to pick your brain on a few of its details. Thanks!

Mine slid up under the ridge cap, so I didn't have to do any cutting.

webby3650 sent me the pics in that other thread. I know he uses that flashing often as an installer. The instructions looked a little overwhelming, but made sense after I saw the pics. And then I ended up not having to cut anything.

Okay. Got advise from another wood stove shop about my installation. The guy I put $100 down on the super 27 is not very helpful. When asking questions only gives me the answer of "yeah I can get it, whatever you need" without actually answering my questions.

This other shop has been so helpful. Drew up some diagrams for me the first visit. Second visit he convinced me on getting a different stove. He also said he'd come out to my house for free and measure and look over everything and tell me exactly what I need to purchase for the flu etc. He lives about 15 minutes away. I thought this was extremely nice. He also offered to take $100 off the price of the stove to make up for the lost $100 if the other stove shop won't give me my deposit back. The stove he is recommending is the Lopi Endevour. What do you think about this stove? Thanks everyone for your help!

Both the Lopi Endeavor and the PE Super 27 are excellent stoves. You will be happy with either purchase. The Lopi is stoutly made with a firebrick baffle and a bypass damper. The Super 27 is also well made with a unique one piece baffle secondary chamber and a linked secondary air control. Between the two I would venture that the PE will have the longer burn time during milder weather, but during cold weather they would probably have equal burn times.

What about maintenance? I like the design of the firebrick baffle and not so much on that bafffle on the super. The lopi is more expensive but seems like its made better,better materials. Do you think the price of the lopi is worth it $2300 with tax vs super at $1750 with tax. The lopi does come with the upgrade of legs vs pedestal on the super. Oh I don't know what to do. Don't think the new stove shop I'm working with sells pe

The Super 27 is the lowest price of the series. The Spectrum is a bit classier and closer to the Lopi price. Both are fairly easy to clean. The PE has a bit of an advantage with just a single pin to remove the entire baffle assembly, but that may save all of a minute or two when cleaning. As for materials, not much difference really. PE uses stainless for the baffle assembly and rails. I like Lopi's latch better though. The main differences are the secondary control and baffle design on the PE and the bypass damper on the Lopi. The blower addition is a good benny. PE occasionally has included it too during summer specials. Not sure it there was one this year.

Sounds like you want to get the Endeavor. If so, go for it. It's a good stove.

Reactions: JStone
I think I'm going for the Lopi. That bypass damper is real nice and I don't want the ash pan that came on the super he had in stock. Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.