Lurker with pressurized storage tank?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VtRv

Jun 3, 2008
Morrisville, Vt
I’m in the process or researching boilers. I’m thinking either the Tarm or EKO after ruling out the Greenwood. The boiler will be going in my basement where I would like to hook it up to storage. I have found two 500 gallon LP tanks that I can pick up reasonably. I also have a way to get the tanks into my basement even though a garage hook up is also possible. Is the weight a problem on my concrete slab? It looks like each tank full will be about 5370 lb. 500 gallons x 8.34lb per gallon + 1200 lb for the tank. The hook up will be through my gas boiler and using a super store for my domestic HW. I’ve seen different schematics on how to hook them up to LP tanks. Do I need to have welding done on the tanks or would I be able to use the fitting currently on the tanks. Any advice for a novice with no plumbing knowledge would be helpful. Also if anyone knows anyone in Northern Vermont that puts in these systems I’d be interested in talking to them about doing an install.

VtRv said:
I’m in the process or researching boilers. I’m thinking either the Tarm or EKO after ruling out the Greenwood. The boiler will be going in my basement where I would like to hook it up to storage. I have found two 500 gallon LP tanks that I can pick up reasonably. I also have a way to get the tanks into my basement even though a garage hook up is also possible. Is the weight a problem on my concrete slab? It looks like each tank full will be about 5370 lb. 500 gallons x 8.34lb per gallon + 1200 lb for the tank. The hook up will be through my gas boiler and using a super store for my domestic HW. I’ve seen different schematics on how to hook them up to LP tanks. Do I need to have welding done on the tanks or would I be able to use the fitting currently on the tanks. Any advice for a novice with no plumbing knowledge would be helpful. Also if anyone knows anyone in Northern Vermont that puts in these systems I’d be interested in talking to them about doing an install.

Welcome to the forum - nice to see another Vermonter. I was up your way last week.

I don't think weight would be a problem. I don't know what fittings the tanks have. You want to be able to add or remove water from the top and bottom of the tank. A dip tube can be used to accomplish the 'bottom' part of the equation from a port on the top.

I've got my plumbing schematic on my site (link in my signature below). There are lots of other threads describing plumbing approaches. If you post a schematic here, I'll bet you'll get feedback.

I'm curious, why did you rule out the Greenwood boiler?

I'm putting the boiler in my basement and from what I've read on here and talking with people in person that have them they tend to smoke when you open the door and they tend to have creasote running down the seams onto the floor. I know how that smells and I don't want it in the house. They also weight a lot more then the Tarm and EKO which is why they claim that they hold the heat better. All three units as well as the Econoburn are available locally. Tarm has been around for a long time and have a very good name. I've been quoted $6,500 for the Tarm 30 EKO 25 (I believe it was) and a comporable sized Econoburn. Now I'm back and forth between the Tarm and EKO. I was talking with the Tarm dealer last night who told me they are delivered not assembled and he said it would be 4-5K for install and take about 4 days. That seemed high so I'm still trying to figure it all out.

4-5000 is alot, unless that included radiant floors, etc. I'm assuming that it doesn't include adapting your tanks, and connecting them.

Do you already have an oil boiler/ hot water heat system?

I thought it was high also. I'm told that was delivered, set in place and set up through my existing gas boilers. He said that the Tarm does not come assembled and estimated 4 days work to get everything running. I'm trying to get a second opinion.

Prices have gone up a lot. Pd $6000 May 2007 for the 40 from a local dealer, almost fully assembled and delivered to my door. I had to add supplied caulking around the doors. Did the install myself. Very satisfied with Tarm. After first full season, still have a bit of excitement to fire it up again next fall -- have to restrain myself to enjoy summer. Not.

Status
Not open for further replies.