Lymes disease.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shmodaddy

Burning Hunk
Sep 12, 2011
So IL
About 12 weeks ago I diagnosed with lymes disease. Wear tick repellent people because that is one day that I won't forget when I found a tick that probably wouldn't have been there with a good dose of OFF but its all to easy to look back at the coulda, shoulda, wouldas . So far the last 12 weeks have been a heath care roller coaster. Take an antibiotic feel better 4 weeks later feel like crap go back to dr get a stronger antibiotic. Currently im on the crappy cycle right now.

Has any one else on here been diagnosed with lymes? I completely understand if no one wants to disclose .

Im looking for real world experience with this from someone. Someone to compare what's happening with me and how they coped with it. Or a good forum I think I've read on what feels like a couple dozen but none that seemed to click with me.

I've spent hours and hours researching and the more I read the less I want to.

Thankyou in advance

Sent from my rooted and eclipse running X2--thanks nitro-- if im posting on here I'm probably supposed to be working! I can't help im addicted to HEARTH.COM!

A friends little girl got the dreaded bulls eye rash and the doctor ignored it, the little girl became so ill that she couldn't even walk. Finally she got diagnosed and put on antibiotics , she is fine and healthy now. Sorry I can't tell you more as it wasn't me or mine. The poor little girl went through alot....They live on the boarder of a game reserve and are overwhelmed with deer and regular ticks, State won't do anything about it. 3 people and 1 dog have contracted it in a quarter mile area. Hope you get well soon.

Had it twice, a few years ago. I spend so much time outside and in the woods that I'd have to pretty much bathe in DEET every day, which has its own risks, so I only use it on long hiking trips. Anyway, it knocked me on my ass for a week the first time, mainly zero energy and alternating profuse sweating and shivering chills. I was at my cabin, started feeling sick on a Saturday, spent four or five days in bed, didn't even have the energy to drive home and see the doctor... finally on Thursday I had the energy to drive home (2 hours), went straight back to bed and to the doctor the next day. He ran tests and gave me a week of antibiotics; on the second day I felt fine again but of course I continued the antibiotics until done.

Almost exactly one year later, same thing, not quite as bad. This time I was diagnosed with both acute Lyme and Babesiosis (another tick borne disease). This time, a month long course of antibiotics, more heavy duty stuff this time, took care of it, and several years now with no recurrence. At no time did I find a deer tick on me nor did I ever see the bullseye rash.

You need a long enough course of antibiotics to kill the active bugs, then keep taking them until the next batch hatches inside of you so they can be killed, too.

Of course I do live pretty close to Lyme, CT...

Thankyou very much for your reply. I hope to get "cured" soon hopefully this round will do it in.

Sent from my rooted and eclipse running X2--thanks nitro-- if im posting on here I'm probably supposed to be working! I can't help im addicted to HEARTH.COM!

There is a chemical out there that REALLY works to keep ticks off of you. It's called Permethrin, and it is the main ingredient in products like Duranon http://duranon.com/ and Sawyer bug repellent http://www.rei.com/product/768970/sawyer-permethrin-pump-spray-24-oz.

Permethrin is meant to be put on your clothes, but according to most sites I've looked into about it, it is perfectly safe to use (when used as prescribed). It attacks the nervous system of the tick, killing it within seconds. I use it on my hunting clothes and I am amazed at how it repels those bastages...we went scouting for deer last year without the permethrin and I had over 50 ticks on my clothes. Two days later, on the opener of deer season, I had the permethrin on my clothes and was in the exact same area as a couple days prior, and I watched several of them die within an inch of crawling on my clothes. It works, and it works great.

Make sure you read the following from wikipedia, and follow the manufacturers instructions when using it. It is harmful to fish and felines, from what I understand. Hang in there, I know many that have had Lyme's and they are Lyme's free, now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin

Reactions: PapaDave
Had 2 go-rounds with it as a teenager (16 and 18). Both times, no tick, no rash. Woke up one morning and half of my face didn't work (Bells Palsy). Both times they put me on Doxycycline (antibiotic) and while it worked, my job at the time required working outside in the sun all day. Not fun, sun + DC = nausea.

My SIL up in Marblehead was recently diagnosed with Lymes. She doesn't remember getting a tick bite but had the symptoms. She's on doxy now and feeling a lot better.

Back when I was in good shape and did a lot of backpacking/hiking/camping two of my best buddies got Lyme, one of them twice. Never found a tick and at least one case didn't have the rash either. Just started like a flu that would never go away. In all cases they had to go on a couple months of antibiotics.

At one point I had known enough people who got it I was thinking about getting the lyme vaccine, but luckily by the time I got around to asking my doc it had already been pulled off the market due to the complications.

I try to use deet whenever I'm going to be in or near the brush, but even so my wife and I have both been bit just in the backyard over the last year. No matter what you do you have to check yourself thoroughly whenever you go out.

Get well soon shmo.

My SIL up in Marblehead was recently diagnosed with Lymes. She doesn't remember getting a tick bite but had the symptoms. She's on doxy now and feeling a lot better.
Doxycline was my second antibiotic it seemed to work I felt great after about two weeks then after the month long treatment wham lymph nodes started swelling again so back to dr again. He game me clarithromyicine this time. Im starting to feel better so hopefully this will knock it out. This medicine has a nasty side effect, it makes a bitter taste in the mouth so been eating jolly ranchers next i'll have a cavity.

I've also became extremely scattered brained. Like walking in a store and don't remember what i'm even there for. I know people says that comes with age but damn I'm only thirty-four and I was never like this before. I guess im going to have to get a note book.

I'm getting mood swings like fine one minute and something little will set me off on a rant and then im ok again. I was never like that I was always happy go lucky. My poor wife catches the brunt of those and its no fault of hers when things go awry. Just seems she's in the wrong place at the wrong time when the volcano blows. She let's me vent then commences to kick my ass...lol not really she always asks if I feel better now. She's a great wife and mother to our two children; our four year old daughter and our six year old son.

I really appreciate all of your responses. Its good to hear that all of you have recovered completely. When I read of all the chronic illness associated with lymes it straight out worries me.

Thank you all again

SHMODADDY :)

Reactions: ScotO
There is a chemical out there that REALLY works to keep ticks off of you. It's called Permethrin, and it is the main ingredient in products like Duranon http://duranon.com/ and Sawyer bug repellent http://www.rei.com/product/768970/sawyer-permethrin-pump-spray-24-oz.

Permethrin is meant to be put on your clothes, but according to most sites I've looked into about it, it is perfectly safe to use (when used as prescribed). It attacks the nervous system of the tick, killing it within seconds. I use it on my hunting clothes and I am amazed at how it repels those bastages...we went scouting for deer last year without the permethrin and I had over 50 ticks on my clothes. Two days later, on the opener of deer season, I had the permethrin on my clothes and was in the exact same area as a couple days prior, and I watched several of them die within an inch of crawling on my clothes. It works, and it works great.

Make sure you read the following from wikipedia, and follow the manufacturers instructions when using it. It is harmful to fish and felines, from what I understand. Hang in there, I know many that have had Lyme's and they are Lyme's free, now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin

Scotty thankyou I am going to check this stuff out!

Reactions: ScotO
I have a friend that has multiple symptoms and has had issues for years. Not sure if she's got something else on top of it.

For your search, use "Lyme", not "lymes", as its named after Lyme, CT. Probably wont make a diff, but who knows

My father was recently diagnosed with it. Took his Dr over a year to properly diagnose - kept blaming his symptoms on other possible causes. End result is that he goes back and forth between various antibiotics which seem to help most of the time, but once or twice a month, he'll be out of commission for many days as his joints really flare up bad with severe pain...

Now that I have two young boys that tag along in the woods, I'm freaked out and try to do everything possible to keep ticks off them (and me).

^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's exactly what im scared of.....

Doxycline was my second antibiotic it seemed to work I felt great after about two weeks then after the month long treatment wham lymph nodes started swelling again so back to dr again. He game me clarithromyicine this time. Im starting to feel better so hopefully this will knock it out. This medicine has a nasty side effect, it makes a bitter taste in the mouth so been eating jolly ranchers next i'll have a cavity.

I've also became extremely scattered brained. Like walking in a store and don't remember what i'm even there for. I know people says that comes with age but damn I'm only thirty-four and I was never like this before. I guess im going to have to get a note book.

I'm getting mood swings like fine one minute and something little will set me off on a rant and then im ok again. I was never like that I was always happy go lucky. My poor wife catches the brunt of those and its no fault of hers when things go awry. Just seems she's in the wrong place at the wrong time when the volcano blows. She let's me vent then commences to kick my ass...lol not really she always asks if I feel better now. She's a great wife and mother to our two children; our four year old daughter and our six year old son.

I really appreciate all of your responses. Its good to hear that all of you have recovered completely. When I read of all the chronic illness associated with lymes it straight out worries me.

Thank you all again

SHMODADDY :)

I read where Lyme can cause personality changes in some people. Some how effecting your brain. At least your on antibiotics and hopefully nipping it in the butt! Been pulling them off our cat almost daily here, and anytime my dogs go out to the woods, they have them too. It sucks knowing when you come back in you'll be chasing ticks off of your animals.

Shmodaddy, I feel for you. I got this two years ago, but it was caught early. I got this god awful stiffness and aching in my neck and shoulder, and I was so run down, I could barely stay awake; I assumed the pain keeping me up was causing that, but the Doc suspected Lyme, as she'd seen some other cases recently, so since it was time for the routine blood tests, she added a Western Blot. That confirmed it, got a round of Doxy. I still don't know whether it was the antibiotic or the Lyme that caused it, but boy, was I ever sick to my stomach, and actually felt worse for the first week or two.
Course, Lyme Disease is like Chemo-brain--you can blame a lot of chit on it when you goof up;)
Hang in there, keep smiling, and don't turn down any offers of help!

I still don't know whether it was the antibiotic or the Lyme that caused it, but boy, was I ever sick to my stomach, and actually felt worse for the first week or two.

Yup, that's good 'ole Doxy for you. :confused:

About 12 weeks ago I diagnosed with lymes disease. Wear tick repellent people because that is one day that I won't forget when I found a tick that probably wouldn't have been there with a good dose of OFF but its all to easy to look back at the coulda, shoulda, wouldas . So far the last 12 weeks have been a heath care roller coaster. Take an antibiotic feel better 4 weeks later feel like crap go back to dr get a stronger antibiotic. Currently im on the crappy cycle right now.

Has any one else on here been diagnosed with lymes? I completely understand if no one wants to disclose .

Im looking for real world experience with this from someone. Someone to compare what's happening with me and how they coped with it. Or a good forum I think I've read on what feels like a couple dozen but none that seemed to click with me.

I've spent hours and hours researching and the more I read the less I want to.

Thankyou in advance

An alternative to antibiotics...........Lyme Disease | Oregano Oil Health Benefits

Hang in there, keep smiling, and don't turn down any offers of help!

Doing my best and again thankyou all for your experiences . Its encourging to know that so many of you have dealt with this bug and beat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.