M55 Ash bin gasket question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
Would I get an error code if my ash bin gasket is not making a tight enough seal? I have no error codes, but when I do a cleaning and I close the ash door there is almost no "snug" pressure. Is there a way to adjust the closure handle to snug it up? My glass door still fits very tight so I don't have a concern there. Both gaskets are supposed to be 9/16 Firm ( I guess there the opposite of soft?) and no one around here carries a 9/16 gasket. Every size is available but no 9/16! Could I go up one size if I had to? Thanks, Bill

I've thought about the same thing. From what I can tell, the Rutland 3/8" graphite rope gasket is very close to the same size as the factory gasket. But I don't know if it's too soft or not. I think you can tighten the screw, but you will have to peel back the gasket to hold the nut on the other side. Mine is not loose, but not nice and tight either. And, yes, if it doesn't seal the vacuum switch will not trip and will give an error code.

What is the "lower power capacitor and modified air diverter bar" you reference in your signature?

I've thought about the same thing. From what I can tell, the Rutland 3/8" graphite rope gasket is very close to the same size as the factory gasket. But I don't know if it's too soft or not. I think you can tighten the screw, but you will have to peel back the gasket to hold the nut on the other side. Mine is not loose, but not nice and tight either. And, yes, if it doesn't seal the vacuum switch will not trip and will give an error code.

What is the "lower power capacitor and modified air diverter bar" you reference in your signature?
Flynfrfun, As part of the new convection blower (which by the way is like a supercharged V8 compared to the old version) Enviro supposedly is shipping a replacement capacitor and diverter bar. Because the new blower is much more powerful and noisier in fan 4 and 5, the lower um Capacitor spins the blower at a lower RPM...thus a bit less noise. The modified air diverter bar, I think has the same angles but the fins are wider and a heavier gauge. This is supposed to reduce the air "Cavitation" noise. If I can find the name of the member who set me up with this I will post back.....Bill

Flynfrfun, As part of the new convection blower (which by the way is like a supercharged V8 compared to the old version) Enviro supposedly is shipping a replacement capacitor and diverter bar. Because the new blower is much more powerful and noisier in fan 4 and 5, the lower um Capacitor spins the blower at a lower RPM...thus a bit less noise. The modified air diverter bar, I think has the same angles but the fins are wider and a heavier gauge. This is supposed to reduce the air "Cavitation" noise. If I can find the name of the member who set me up with this I will post back.....Bill

Hmmm, I've got the new blower. But, I may have gotten one of the first ones they had available. Mine came with a capacitor, but you say they have a new lower um capacitor? Is the diverter bar you talk about the actual blower squirrel cage? I'm very interested in this improvement as I would like to reduce the noise of my unit. Would I need a whole new blower or can I just buy the new parts? I'm very glad Enviro is listening to us end users and improving the things we are suggesting.

Hmmm, I've got the new blower. But, I may have gotten one of the first ones they had available. Mine came with a capacitor, but you say they have a new lower um capacitor? Is the diverter bar you talk about the actual blower squirrel cage? I'm very interested in this improvement as I would like to reduce the noise of my unit. Would I need a whole new blower or can I just buy the new parts? I'm very glad Enviro is listening to us end users and improving the things we are suggesting.
The diverter bar is the metal bar in front of the blower squirrel cage. Yeah. I don't now which capacitor you have but.....the member you want to look up/contact is "Rory" He works for Enviro out of BC, Canada. He chimes in from time to time. I will try to get the rest of his contact info for you. Bill

bos
The diverter bar is the metal bar in front of the blower squirrel cage. Yeah. I don't now which capacitor you have but.....the member you want to look up/contact is "Rory" He works for Enviro out of BC, Canada. He chimes in from time to time. I will try to get the rest of his contact info for you. Bill
Boston fan, I bought my M55 Cast last oct and it came with the new blower, Even said right on box ( New Blower). Im wondering if mine has the capacitor and diverter you are talking about? How would I know?
Thanks

bos
Boston fan, I bought my M55 Cast last oct and it came with the new blower, Even said right on box ( New Blower). Im wondering if mine has the capacitor and diverter you are talking about? How would I know?
Thanks
Kykel.....If you did the install yourself and you didn't change the capacitor...then you have the old one! The new one is shorter and slimmer. I would call Sherwood Industries and inquire about the capacitor and diverter bar. Again the diverter bar is nothing more than two metal fins with maybe a 60-90 angle and is thicker and heavier than the old one. I would post a note to "Jory" and hopefully he will show up. Wen I get home I will try to find more contact info.

Kykel.....If you did the install yourself and you didn't change the capacitor...then you have the old one! The new one is shorter and slimmer. I would call Sherwood Industries and inquire about the capacitor and diverter bar. Again the diverter bar is nothing more than two metal fins with maybe a 60-90 angle and is thicker and heavier than the old one. I would post a note to "Jory" and hopefully he will show up. Wen I get home I will try to find more contact info.
********It's [email protected]*********

OK, from what you are describing, the squirrel cage and motor are the same. But the capacitor and the housing the squirrel cage sits in is different? I wonder if this diverter bar is something that would screw into my existing housing? My housing has no diverter, it's just open to the air flow on the end where the air exits. My capacitor is about 1.25" round and about 2.5" tall. I had to screw it onto the back of the stove above the vacuum switch. I thought the capacitor was just for startup of the blower, not for while it's running, but I'm not knowledgeable on that sort of thing.

Pictures might help some of the others. Jory was the one that provided me the feed chart. Nice person. I forgot his handle, But he was a member here too!

OK, from what you are describing, the squirrel cage and motor are the same. But the capacitor and the housing the squirrel cage sits in is different? I wonder if this diverter bar is something that would screw into my existing housing? My housing has no diverter, it's just open to the air flow on the end where the air exits. My capacitor is about 1.25" round and about 2.5" tall. I had to screw it onto the back of the stove above the vacuum switch. I thought the capacitor was just for startup of the blower, not for while it's running, but I'm not knowledgeable on that sort of thing.
****Lets try this.....The Diverter bar is the length of the convection fan. It is about 3/4 wide on one angle and 3/4 wide on the other angle and is attached to the front of the blower...facing the front of the stove. It is mounted about an inch or so parallel to the blower fins. I don't think it would be possible to get the stove without the diverter bar and since you have the new blower, you must have "A" diverter bar and "A" capacitor!!!!!! At some point late last year Enviro, decided ( because of the noise associated with the new blower) to start suppling people with the different capacitor and diverter bar. And.....at some point in the production line these changes were added as well. I will pulling my stove out in a few days and will take a pic...but I think some googling should be able to show it as well. Hope this helps!! Bill

****Lets try this.....The Diverter bar is the length of the convection fan. It is about 3/4 wide on one angle and 3/4 wide on the other angle and is attached to the front of the blower...facing the front of the stove. It is mounted about an inch or so parallel to the blower fins. I don't think it would be possible to get the stove without the diverter bar and since you have the new blower, you must have "A" diverter bar and "A" capacitor!!!!!! At some point late last year Enviro, decided ( because of the noise associated with the new blower) to start suppling people with the different capacitor and diverter bar. And.....at some point in the production line these changes were added as well. I will pulling my stove out in a few days and will take a pic...but I think some googling should be able to show it as well. Hope this helps!! Bill
:cool: I wish I could change the original post "Subject matter" to the Combustion Blower subject so that more owners might benefit.......?

Yeah, I think I got my blower before the diverter and capacitor change. My blower does not have what you describe. It's a straight shot for the air to go out of the blower. No vanes or diverter at all.

Did you have the blower prior to these mods? I'm curious if anyone knows how much noise difference there is. I have emailed my Enviro distributor.

Yeah, I think I got my blower before the diverter and capacitor change. My blower does not have what you describe. It's a straight shot for the air to go out of the blower. No vanes or diverter at all.

Did you have the blower prior to these mods? I'm curious if anyone knows how much noise difference there is. I have emailed my Enviro distributor.
flynfrfun, Now I am confused...for you when you say that you you have "no" diverter bar at all.....:oops: It was Rory (from Enviro) in Canada sent me the new (replacement) diverter bar and capacitor. My "new blower" came from a parts distributer in New York with, at that time, the diverter bar and capacitor that Enviro had engineered for their new blower. So what Rory provided was essentially a "fix" to the noise problem that people were having with the new blower.... Me thinks that if your new blower was shipped to you without any air diverter bar than someone screwed up. Iam off to work but this afternoon I will try to find and then cut and paste my correspondence with Rory.......In the meantime, you could try to look him up in the member list and try to reach out to him.....Bill

I have emailed my distributor. If he doesn't respond I will try to get in touch with Rory.

Bill...did the new capacitor and diverter bar make much difference in noise?

OK, here are some pics I took when I first got my blower. Unfortunately I didn't take one looking exactly at the diverter bar. Bill...maybe you can tell what I've got here (including the capacitor)? Is that the diverter bar in the first pic? IMG_0435.jpgIMG_0436.jpg

OK, here are some pics I took when I first got my blower. Unfortunately I didn't take one looking exactly at the diverter bar. Bill...maybe you can tell what I've got here (including the capacitor)? Is that the diverter bar in the first pic?View attachment 77224View attachment 77225
Its hard for me to say no for sure......but unless they have come out with a new blower design, I would say No! In about two hours I will be home, and after I have shut the stove off (assuming my wife has it on..) I will pull the sucker out and take a pic of what I have and we will compare.....Bill

Its hard for me to say no for sure......but unless they have come out with a new blower design, I would say No! In about two hours I will be home, and after I have shut the stove off (assuming my wife has it on..) I will pull the sucker out and take a pic of what I have and we will compare.....Bill
Wow, thanks Bill! I've got mine running right now idling along on heat level 1. Did you notice a big noise difference with the new diverter and capacitor? I've just GOT to know:)

Wow, thanks Bill! I've got mine running right now idling along on heat level 1. Did you notice a big noise difference with the new diverter and capacitor? I've just GOT to know:)
OK! Iam looking at mine and then your pic...Your pic on the left with the blower sitting on what looks like the floor or a counter....it is that other side that would expose the diverter bar to view. In other words, in your pics the blower is in the wrong position to see the diverter bar.....but now I think you do have it. I will post a pic asap........but it may take awhile, Bill

I spoke with my distributor the other day. Apparently, the diverter bar and capacitor didn't really make much difference...

The original convection blower was not a “split capacitor motor” so the replacement motor kit comes with the correct capacitor as specified by Enviro working with SIT (the fan company).

I spoke to the factory this morning and they are aware of only 2 examples of anyone “field testing” a different capacitor. (however they suspect another one or two tests may have been done outside their circle).

One of those field test units was also supplied a “test” diverter… (only very slightly different from the standard diverter that is part of the fan assembly).

From both the field testing and factory lab testing the results indicate a mixed result about how helpful the change of either part (or both) will be in a given situation. At this time they have labeled that line of investigation as “in-conclusive”. No changes have been made on any production units or any replacement parts.

I expect that you understand that slowing the fan down likely would help to decrease a noise issue… that same model of pellet appliance, in a different installation, and if we slowed the convection fan down could potentially result in heat buildup and then might even reach a point where it could cause unintended consequences like tripping the “high limit” temp sensor… (length of fuel, natural air flow of the room and size of the fireplace an insert might be installed in… all are variables that must be considered when reducing the air flow of a convection fan… and the factory has to plan to make sure they have enough air flow to avoid high limit sensor tripping in as many cases as possible)

How can I tell if I have the new or old blower? I bought my stove last September.

JBiBBs5, very simple....if your convection blower motor looks like Flynfrfun's (a few posts back) as seen from the right side of your stove, you have the new blower! If for some reason you can't access your blower, it's still simple! Old blower: fan noise increase from Fan 3 to Fan 5 is a sutle increase in air and noise, means you have the old fan. At that time Enviro was pushing the fact that the M55 was one of the "quietest" stoves on the market....New fan fan noise from 3 to 5 is substantial and the amount of air blown is very strong....plus noisy. Hope this helps, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.