M55 Auger motor noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NC Burner

Dec 29, 2010
Sandhills of NC
Hello:

Anyone have experience with an enviro M55 auger motor making noise? After a few trouble free years, ours just started making a very light rattling/jingling type noise (hard to describe!). It sounds like a loose piece of metal lightly hitting or vibrating against other metal - every time the motor spins. I cleaned out the hopper (no change) and the auger feels solid as far as bearings. Below, everything looks and feels clean and solid and if I hold my finger against the bottom spinning shaft - below the motor - I can decrease the sound. It sounds like very light metal on metal type noise, but is not grating or grinding. Is there any service or lubrication that can be done to the motor?

Any suggestions on motor replacement, good prices, OEM vs after market?

thanks for any insights

My auger actually stopped spinning completely a couple days ago. I heard a horrible noise coming from the stove but by the time I got to it the noise was gone and everything seemed okay. It was similar to the noise you're describing except it was extremely loud.

I left it alone but when I woke in the middle of the night the stove was off. When I turned it back on the blower kicked on but the auger won't spin at all. I removed the cover and cleaned everything out of it with no luck. At this point I'm thinking it has to be the motor. It has a Gleason Avery model which is supposedly one of the best. I'm having a hard time finding the same model number but after some googling I did find the GA motors here: http://www.gleasonavery.com/catalog/pellet-corn-stove-motors.html

i had a rumble like that last year but it would be at a certain position in the turn cycle. i could even see the shaft and motor wobble a bit. eventually it cleared up on its own so i figured it was a pellet stuck on the shaft. it still worked and i didn't want to disconnect the stove to replace in the middle of winter.

in the offseason i took it out and cleaned it and lubed it. i used Wurth HHS 2000. it goes on thin but then thickens up and sticks/lubricates parts. if you do use it, let it thin out first for a few hours. the thinner has to evaporate first. there are other products that other members use with success too.

other than that, make sure everything is tight.

you can always order a new one from Mountain View Stove Parts or Gleason Avery like JBiBB suggests.

good luck.

Thanks for the input.

It looks like the Mountain view is OEM, if that matters (?) and both the ebay and Gleason Avery direct source are apparently made by Gleason Avery and in the U.S. They do look slightly different than the OEM, but not being from china helps. I would assume they would bolt straight up with headache (?). Gleason Avery model, particularly on the ebay link is 2 rpm, mine is 1. I would check the ebay source, they say they can confirm model. I wonder if in my case I could return if installed and the noise was not fixed!. $60 vs $180 is tempting as one could go thru 3 of them for the same price! Especially now when my original has not locked up, I could keep if for a backup....

Just make sure motor is the 2RPM one, not 1.

vinny: Are you talking about lubricating the auger itself or the auger motor?

I was talking about the motor itself. the auger does not need lubricating as the bushings that hold it in place don't need it.

and yes, Mountain View is more expensive but their service is good and they get you the parts you need. cheaper sources are available but require more research and know how.

it's good to have options.

i would spray some lube on the motor shaft and see if it makes a difference. let it keep working in case it is working through a pellet stuck somewhere in the auger.

The motor rotor spins with some pretty tight clearances within the motor and even though the bushings may seem good, the rotor can get pulled to one side when the magnetism -power is applied, and so it may freeze up once in a while, giving symptoms of low heat output, or a dead auger motor. Sometimes just taking apart and cleaning will give you a little more time but the end is probably near.

Wow. How confusing can this be! Is my manual wrong? It lists the motor as an EF-001 1 RPM. The motor Enviro used in the unit they sold me is a Gleason-Avery ((902) 2516-A0906T-1212 which does not list RPM but the Gleason website shows 902's as 2 RPM. They sell 902's direct for $74. But they don't show or confirm any other model numbers. One ebay source has my exact model number for $147, but another lists a 2RPM for this model stove for $62 but the G/A model is different (and it does not have the thick gasket in the motor housing that mine has, if that matters any). Both show them as Part# 50-2054. So the enviro manual is wrong, the motor mfg sells direct for$74 but the only sources that I can confirm are the same as Enviro put in the thing are over twice as much?! I feel like I am throwing away $100 for the exact same motor from the same mfg.

make sure you are looking at the correct motor in the manual because they also use the same model for the agitator motor for the stirring rod, except they have a different RPM.

and the same thing happened on my stove, as the manual listed a number for a Merkle motor but in the stove there was a Gleason.

i have looked at the Gleason site but never ordered so i can't vouch for their service. they could use more pictures and better descriptions to make better matches.

good luck.

I bought the one on eBay for $62, installed it, and it works fine. It's actually 2 RPM and the original motor was 1. I'm not sure if that really matters.

Turns out that the auger motor wasn't the real problem. I had the old convection blower that was basically recalled and I never went through warranty to replace it. At this point my warranty is up so I paid $260 for a new one. Sucks that I had to spend the money but I'm doing all of the work myself so I'm saving a few bucks there.

Hello Guys the Auger motor is the 2RPM motor, the agitator is the 1RPM motor. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.