M55 Burnpot Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgrz0610

Burning Hunk
Dec 13, 2011
Eastern CT, Andover
So...I put off cleaning the stove for too long. Had some clinkers etc on the burnpot of my M55 so I went at it with the tool they gave me. That wasn't getting it done so I went at it with a screwdriver. That worked too well. I was cleaning the area by the ignitor section of the burnpot and I whacked it pretty good with the screwdriver. My daughter and I both heard a metallic sound...like a piece of the burnpot hitting the concrete floor downstairs. Problem is that she told her mother. She's convinced I ruined it, I am not. She told me since I spend so much time on "that stupid pellet stove forum" I should ask you guys. 20121217_194427.jpg20121217_194441.jpg So here's a picture of what I broke and hopefully you can confirm it's not necessary. If it will cause catastrophic failure and imminent harm to life and property let me know because she's already back on and heating up the house. I assume it's just to focus the heat from the ignitor? Any help is, as always, appreciated.

Its necessary, I don't think it will light properly without it. Contact the dealer that sold you the stove it should still be under warranty.

The less hassle way would to see if you can get it welded. Do you have a weld shop close by? Its only tacked on and should cost but a couple a bucks to get fixed.

I work in machine shops every day so I'm pretty sure I can get someone to tack her on there for me. The sacrifice will be leaving my house without sweet pellet heat for 8+ hours. The dog is gonna be pissed!

Thanks for the response Jay, I truly appreciate it.

Instead of tack welds, you might want to have it Tig welded for a stronger assembly....will probably eliminate that from happening again when you get too strong with the screwdriver.

Can't you manually light the M-55?? Run on a low setting or High/Low tonight till you get a new pot or tack weld that one.

I know I can manually light all of mine :)

It lit by itself, though admittedly a little strangely. Only the right hand side lit at first and it took a few minutes for the flame to move over to the left and burn the MASSIVE amount of pellets in the pot. I'll have it welded this week but it'll run until I do on hi/lo.

Thanks guys.

Have to shut her down while you have it welded, unless you have two burn pots! Trying my hardest to visualize how you broke that off. I never need to clean that side of my pot!

Good luck with the fix!

I was gonna run it until I'm ready for work, then grab my "Ove Glove" and pull her out of there, pellets smoldering. Have it welded and back in there before the last ember goes out...lol. I can force myself to shut it down for a day...twitch...twitch...it better be a warm day.

I was using a small screwdriver and it actually went through the air hole (the big square ones) in front of this plate and hit it. Idiot move...

I was gonna run it until I'm ready for work, then grab my "Ove Glove" and pull her out of there, pellets smoldering. Have it welded and back in there before the last ember goes out...lol. I can force myself to shut it down for a day...twitch...twitch...it better be a warm day.

I was using a small screwdriver and it actually went through the air hole (the big square ones) in front of this plate and hit it. Idiot move...

I myself am king of the idiot move, so don't feel bad...I often wonder if I am using too much force when I am trying to beat the carbon build up out of the pot!

Reactions: jgrz0610
Status
Not open for further replies.