M55 Cast input BTU

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flynfrfun

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2010
Bonney Lake, WA
I did an experiment for you M55 owners that might be curious as to what the actual BTU input of our stoves are. I ran my stove on heat level 5, feed trim 3 for 2hrs and calculated the BTU input. I'm burning pellets that advertise 8200BTU/lb. My stove burned 14.5lbs during the 2hrs. I calculate that at 59,450BTU/hr. So, it will likely be around 60,000BTU with the feed trim up to 5.

So, for anyone wanting the Mt Vernon because it's bigger...not really. The M55 is just as capable.

Very nice! How did you get the number?

Now if the Quads list their efficiency percentage? We could compare to Enviro's 83.5 % for the FPI and 76.6% for the FS. And get the output which is really where its at! I honestly think the FPI percentage is a bit high though?

I got my Quad brochure right here. It says efficiency is between 81.4% and 83.6% for the insert.

Hope that helps.

I figured 14.5lbs for 2hrs is the same as 7.25lbs/hr. So, 7.25x8200 which equals 59,450. Did I do the math right?

flynfrfun said:
So, for anyone wanting the Mt Vernon because it's bigger...not really. The M55 is just as capable.

Do you feel like you need to prove something?

Just askin..

smoke show said:
flynfrfun said:

Just askin..

Just askin? Or poking?

Think he's just saying! That the M55 cast can crank out some heat and those that bought em shouldn't have second thoughts over the Mt vernon.

Now I'm playing! Wonder if any of the Mt Vernon owners have second thoughts????

smoke show said:
flynfrfun said:

Just askin..

Not really. My post was twofold. First, there have been posts in the past about the M55 feeding too many pellets and rumors that it is actually inputting something like 70,000BTU/hr. So, the stove was overheating...Enviro came out with an adjustable auger cover plate (like the Quads have) to reduce pellet feed rates and cut down on temp to stop the overheating. I was curious as to what the stove really is inputting since I hadn't seen anyone prove the rumors. And also to see if Enviro was using a "band-aid" fix (adjustable auger cover plate) for the overheating. That was my main reason for posting and yes, according to my data, I do believe the adjustable auger cover plate was just a quick easy fix for the overheating until they came out with the REAL fix which is the higher output convection blower.

2nd, I have seen some decide to buy the Mt Vernon because they felt they needed the 5,000 more BTU's over the M55. So, I was saying both stoves are similar in BTU input based on my real world test. But, the M55 is not inputting something crazy like 70,000BTU like has been rumored. It's actually, pretty close to advertised since there is variance in pellets burned.

I didn't mean to offend or bash. I would love to have a stove with attributes of both the M55 and Mt. Vernon combined. :)

I made a mistake...my pellet bag says 8300BTU, not 8200. So, with my pellets, the stove is inputting 60,175BTU. I'm guessing it could go somewhere around 61,000BTU with the feed rate all the way up. After 2hrs, my living room was 85F and the whole house (1900SF 2story well insulated, outside temps 35F) was heating up quick like how it does when my furnace runs.

Jason Robichaud said:
flynfrfun said:
I figured 14.5lbs for 2hrs is the same as 7.25lbs/hr. So, 7.25x8200 which equals 59,450. Did I do the math right?

how many setting do you have on your stove.

Jason...I have 5...so I had the stove full blast (on 5). I could have increased the feed rate 2 increments, which is more of a trim, so it wouldn't make a huge difference.

flynfrfun said:
Jason Robichaud said:
flynfrfun said:

how many setting do you have on your stove.

Jason...I have 5...so I had the stove full blast (on 5). I could have increased the feed rate 2 increments, which is more of a trim, so it wouldn't make a huge difference.

ok that's make sence 7.25 lbs/hr.

j-takeman said:
Wonder if any of the Mt Vernon owners have second thoughts????

I'm almost positive it wasn't available when I purchased.
So no second thoughts here.

flynfrfun said:
Enviro came out with an adjustable auger cover plate (like the Quads have)

Not all quads.

flynfrfun said:
I didn't mean to offend or bash. I would love to have a stove with attributes of both the M55 and Mt. Vernon combined. :)

No offense takin.

roadrunnermoore said:
flynfrfun said:

Okay time to open up a can of worms, plus, the M55 is not made in China.

Quick snapshot of the label on the back of my quad.

No doubt its full of fine china, its a global market we live in.

Attachments

• IMAG0202.jpg
    IMAG0202.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 263
smoke show said:
roadrunnermoore said:
flynfrfun said:

Okay time to open up a can of worms, plus, the M55 is not made in China.

Quick snapshot of the label on the back of my quad.

No doubt its full of fine china, its a global market we live in.

Yes it is H&HT; is a regular visitor in the importgenius database, funny thing about customs is what comes in is recorded and it is a public record. Stuff also comes across from Mexico and other places that still make things.

I attempted to look at an M55 before I pulled the trigger on the Mt. Vernon. The local dealer was closed each of the 3x I went there during their advertised store hours... Gave me a bad feeling.

John97 said:
I attempted to look at an M55 before I pulled the trigger on the Mt. Vernon. The local dealer was closed each of the 3x I went there during their advertised store hours... Gave me a bad feeling.

John,
Sounds like you made a good decision. It is very important to have a good dealer that can and will support you when things go wrong. I know you will enjoy your Mt. Vernon.

Too the best of my knowledge the Mt Vernon is still built/assembled in Colville WA. Not true of the 1200 which comes in from overseas. If you want to throw a rock at Enviro, those boys have never had an original thought. Their product line is made up of ripping off other manufacturers. Particularly so in their gas products. Travis, Valor and Mendota have all been victims of Sherwoods research and duplicate department.

IronFire said:
Too the best of my knowledge the Mt Vernon is still built/assembled in Colville WA. Not true of the 1200 which comes in from overseas. If you want to throw a rock at Enviro, those boys have never had an original thought. Their product line is made up of ripping off other manufacturers. Particularly so in their gas products. Travis, Valor and Mendota have all been victims of Sherwoods research and duplicate department.

A lot of stoves are assembled here and above the border in Canada out of large imported sub assemblies it isn't just complete stoves.

As near as I can tell all of the stove makers have participated in research and duplication.

Maybe Enviro has done more of it, I don't know, but it sure seems like a lot of common parts, sub assemblies, and designs through out the industry to my eye.

Not throwing a rock just noting where the parts are coming from.

SmokeyTheBear said:
A lot of stoves are assembled here and above the border in Canada out of large imported sub assemblies it isn't just complete stoves.

As near as I can tell all of the stove makers have participated in research and duplication.

Maybe Enviro has done more of it, I don't know, but it sure seems like a lot of common parts, sub assemblies, and designs through out the industry to my eye.

Nobody in the hearth business is building their own valves, electric motors or fans. So if those are the sub assemblies, you speak of, I agree. Sherwood is probably the most guilty of buying another companies unit and reverse engineering.

Have you seen Pacific Energy's pellet stove? The pot stirrer looks awfully familiar.

IronFire said:
Have you seen Pacific Energy's pellet stove? The pot stirrer looks awfully familiar.

To bad Enviro's self cleaning pot came before PE's! ;-) First seen in the Omega's in 06/07 and the PE's wasn't seen until late 09 season. If they barrowed it? It was more of the likes of American Energy's corn stoves. Many have an agitator in the burn pot. Englander, US Stove, Breckwell are just a few others. Not sure who was the first.

IronFire said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Nobody in the hearth business is building their own valves, electric motors or fans. So if those are the sub assemblies, you speak of, I agree. Sherwood is probably the most guilty of buying another companies unit and reverse engineering.

Nope the sub assemblies include but are not limited to the heat exchangers, casting for stove bodies and other parts of the stoves.

SmokeyTheBear said:
IronFire said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Nope the sub assemblies include but are not limited to the heat exchangers, casting for stove bodies and other parts of the stoves.

Why should it be any different than the auto industry? Once a new concept or feature comes out, The others just follow suit.

I'm betting the stove company that grabs all the best feature's and incorporates them into their line up will make a killing.

Status
Not open for further replies.