M55 Cast Insert not dropping pellets???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
Hi folks! So after a trouble free winter, pellets not dropping. Went to bed, stove running fine, T-Stat turns the stove off at 11PM and back on at 5AM. Came downstairs this AM, stove not running and I think a flashing # 3 light. At this point my brain was turned on but my hearing was still fast asleep....
I pulled the stove, checked all the wiring and the fuses and all seemed well. (I believe, that it is possible for the auger fuse to some how blow and yet still look good....yes?
Pushed the stove back in and fired it up, only now my hearing was awake.....The auger moter is turning just fine.....I can here it and it turns on and off in pulses, as it would normally......only no pellets drop.
So.......is a nut/bolt simply loose on the auger shaft and that is why it is not turning? Or is something stripped?

Appreciate any replies......I plan on heating most mornings and evenings till the end of April! Bill

Empty the hopper and verify the auger is actually spinning when you hear the auger pulse

Reactions: bostonfan49
Empty the hopper and verify the auger is actually spinning when you hear the auger pulse
Thanks corkman for the reply.....with the insert pulled out, not sure I can do that, BUT....if the auger is spinning then I would think that the auger motor shaft is secure to the motor shaft....Because I can here the auger motor, I think either the auger motor is running but its shaft is stripped or loose or it is fine but it is not tight on the auger itself.....either something is loose or stripped...? Bill

My auger jammed one time. I was able to verify it was turning and wobbling by leaning over and looking in from the back. However, you can't do that because its an insert. Hmm....

When I took my auger apart years ago, I noticed the auger motor connects to the auger with a collar with a screw that screws tights on the flat side of the auger shaft. This keeps the auger from spinning around in the shaft. However, whoever had installed it in the factory didn't set the screw on the flat side of the shaft connection.

It could be the case with your auger now, and something is jammed in there and the screw collar has let go.

Or you have a jam in the channel somewhere.

Reactions: bostonfan49
All is well! Just one of those weird days......Pulled the stove out (twice) checked everything, did not change a thing. Vacuumed out all the pellets, took the auger cover off, no appreciable amount of pellet dust! No large pellets, in fact my current stash, the pellets are on the small size. Refilled and the stove started right up....I think it was playing a delayed April Fools joke on me. That's okay, we'll see how how she likes some "Ghost Chili powder" the next time I fill her up==c

Thanks all, Bill

Could also be that sensor switch is covered in ash? Or it is malfunctioning.

I've noticed that the feed rate alters over long stretches of time and on/off cycles. I'd suggest unplugging the stove when you do weekly cleaning to reset everything, I get more consistent temp outputs and burn by doing so. Curious if your feed control just fell completely offline from daily on/off cycles? Anyways, glad to hear it is resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.