M55 ci flame not really great

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

domenick

Oct 9, 2013
Im still trying to iron out my new m55 ci insert.Im new to the pellet world. I love the stove so far but my flame is barely there . It was a self install so i never set it with a mag.I was wondering if its because im not using the best pellets Stove Chow.On level 3 and up i have maybe a 3" flame but anything below 3 wont pass the burn pot. installed with a 4" liner to top of chimney with top plate. and stove is clean.

Im still trying to iron out my new m55 ci insert.Im new to the pellet world. I love the stove so far but my flame is barely there . It was a self install so i never set it with a mag.I was wondering if its because im not using the best pellets Stove Chow.On level 3 and up i have maybe a 3" flame but anything below 3 wont pass the burn pot. installed with a 4" liner to top of chimney with top plate. and stove is clean.

Get ahold of a dwyer/mag.... etc and set that draft correctly. Follow the instructions about burning on high for a certain time before taking the readings and to wait between the adjustments and taking another reading. You want to hit the bottom number of the range if possible. Also make certain your chimney block off is correct, block offs just at the top allow air up through the chimney and maybe into other areas if there are any other openings and can suck your heated air out of the room among other possible things. Block offs need to be sealed to the masonry and to the flue. Preferably they are just above the insert and fireproof insulation is above the block off.

I'm assuming you are sucking room air for combustion, if so it is possible that your stove might not be getting enough proper combustion air, depends upon the a number of factors.

you may have to adjust the restricter plate in the hopper. this will have more bearing on the flame than adjusting the damper. that unit has high side walls on the burnpot, so dont expect to see much on level 1, but you should see a good few inches of flame on 3...5 is all kinds of fire action...back up a bit, or suffer the consequences. FWIW, if the stove is throwing good heat, and running decent, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Not that I'd ever recommend you do this, without the gauge, but set the damper pretty close to the center favoring the less open side of it and you will be damn close to the correct setting. All my other settings are default no feed trim no combustion trim, at setting 3 the flame licks the heat tube plate with ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.