M55 cleaning end of year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vinny11950

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2010
Eastern Long Island, NY
Just got around to doing the final cleaning of the year for the M55 steel. This was my first year with it and I have to say it was straight forward to maintain and clean. Excuse the poor and ugly connection to the pellet pipe. It was badly installed originally and I am going to redo it later in the summer with some ICC pellet pipe, I think.

Anyway, as you can see the motor mounts onto the housing unit with no gasket. It is held in place by 4 tiny screws. I was a little worried about this being there are gaskets everywhere else, but that is how it is made. I even called Enviro and they said that is the way it is. I do wish they would have made those screws sturdier and added a gasket just to be safe. But to be honest, it sits on tight and no smoke leaks so far as I can tell.

The other design flaw I wish they would fix, is how the heavy fire box liner on the back wall snaps into place with the fire box baffle on top. You have to hit 2 screw on the top baffle and then let it drop on the top end of the liner so they hit together at the perfect pitch to lock in. My elderly father can't do it and didn't even know that it had not locked in until I looked into the burning firebox and told him it wasn't locked into place. The only danger is that the liner will fall forward and get jammed diagnaly in the fire box (never happened to me). It doesn't look like it would reach the door glass to break it, but who wants to deal with that in a cold night with a hot fire going.

Overall, though, I like it very much. I can't compare it to other stoves as I have never had other stoves.

Oh, some of the firebox pictures look oily and that is because after cleaning the stove I added some PAM cooking spray to protect the metal against the humid months of summer in eastern Long Island NY.

Attachments

• Stove 1.jpg
    Stove 1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 474
  • stove 1.5.jpg
    stove 1.5.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 498
  • stove 2.jpg
    stove 2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,226
  • stove 3.jpg
    stove 3.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 521
  • notch pain 2.jpg
    notch pain 2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 507
Reactions: Threerun
Looks good. You got one heck of a unit there. Make sure to put some sort of moisture absorber in the firebox/ashpan area (dessacant). Also make sure to clean the squirrel cage on the Convection Blower (if you didn't already). That helps a lot with the efficiency of the unit. Many more years of enjoyment to come. Good pics to. I wish more people would show a Full Cleaning w/ pics. Gives you a better idea about the particular model.

I started a thread about a month ago. Threads name was "Spring Cleaning". I posted many pics similar to tours and also painted the inside of my Firebox. I would post a link, but I an doing this from my phone. Link to come later when I get home..

Good job and Good luck with your stove. Enviro makes a Heck of a Stove.

ICC is definitely a good brand of pellet pipe. It looks good, the seams are nice and clean, no twist-lock mumbo jumbo to deal with. Great stove also. I like enviro, they have a very good reputation and are solid, well built machines. Nice job on the cleaning. Keep up the good work!

Hi guys....

Thankfully we are near the end of the burning season and came on here once again to find some tips on year end cleaning. I like the pictures but saw you said that you put Pam on. Do you think this will burn?? I spray it on the bbq and it "flares up" but looks like a good idea. Any other tips?? Do you have to use 3 and 1 oil on this motor? Also, what is the little packet of grease that came with the stove?? I want to go buy some more but not sure what to look for.

Thanks again everyone.....really love this site.

Jimmy, you ask a good question, and I am assuming the PAM cooking oil spray will burn off quickly on the first burn. I saw it recommended on another post by someone else, and thinking about it it makes sense. However, I agree there is a possibility of it catching fire. It that happens, though, I am thinking and hoping it won't do any damage to the fire box. Also, I am thinking most will evaporate and drip off by Autumn. However, just to be safe, my first burn of winter will be a controlled one with a small amount of pellets in the hopper.

As for the exhaust and convection motors, I was under impression that the motors are sealed bearing and you can't add any grease or oil. I will double check the technical info, when i get the chance to dig through it.

Also, when I got my stove I didn't get any grease packet with it and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in the manual. I wonder what you got and what it's used for. Let me know if you figure it out. Post a picture is you can. And share any ideas and advice on cleaning the M55, i would surely appreciate it.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Really appreciate it and really appreciate all the time and knowledge people spend to make this a great forum.

Dexter, I had missed your Spring Cleaning post, but looking at it now, I feel like an amateur after seeing what you did cleaning that stove. It looked like you could eat off of it. I got a multi fuel just in case I could get my hands on anything other than wood pellets, but so far I haven't even seen anything other than wood pellets out here in Long Island, NY. And probably never will, being how expensive it is to ship and sell anything out here. However in April and May, I ran out of pellets and had to burn so nasty Inferno pellets. They were the dirtiest and smelliest pellets I have burned so far. But the stove burn them with no problem. The flames were weak and small. I thought I had a draft problem, but then I realized they are just crappy pellets. They are the reason I am thinking of changing from direct horizontal vent to over the roof vent, because it left soot on the outside wall and soffit vents. And it doesn't clean off easily either.

I am also interested in your setup, as I see you have an Englander NC 30 in the basement. In April I bought a small Dutchwest 2460 convection wood stove that I plan to install in the finished basement of a small 3 bedroom ranch house. I think it will help the heating down there when it gets real cold in February. I will be coming back here, but to the Wood stove forum, to get advice on install.

But how do you like it so far? I heard great things about the Englader.

Vinny

Thanks for the reply. The grease is for the agitator. It came in my little kit for the stove. Usually once a week I pull the agitator out and give it a little sand on the end and than apply a little of the supplied grease.

Vinny.. I just got my Englander around the beginning of April. Its in the basement. But not hooked up yet. Waiting till further in the year. I have been spending a great deal of my time getting firewood stocked up for the next few yrs. You will quickly find out that wood takes 2-3 yrs to properly season. Hopefully we can learn something from one another in the Process.

Glad you seen my thread. After 3 yrs, you will be cleaning yours the same way.. I too hope to get a multi-fueler to replace the Quad. But until then, I will just have to wait.. Congrats in the Pellet and Wood stoves. Looking forward to your upcoming threads this season.

Jimmy, I never got that grease. Instead, on advice from someone else here on another thread, I went to the auto parts store and bought some high heat lubricant. Keeps the squeek off the agitator. I imagine that's why you use it too. Kind of difficult to think of pellet stoves as the heat and humidity rises. Glad I cleaned mine last week. Though i have to go back later and clean the convection fan and give a good dusting to the electrical on the back of the stove because it sure gathers plenty of dust. Good luck with yours.

Dexter, I got of cord of wood delivered in April. Guy said it had been sitting around for a few months already, so I am thinking it will have close to a year of seasoning by December. I have them stacked into interlaced columns all over the backyard with plenty of space in between so they dry out a little faster. Hope it works. I plan to keep adding more fire wood for the following years as the summer goes on. I have to say, though, I see how people change to pellet heat, as moving and chopping firewood is not easy. First day my arms, legs and hands were really sore and tired. Good thing I following some youtube instructions on using an axe or else I would have done some damage to myself. Anyway, I will post a thread on the wood stove forum when I install my stove (with pictures). The toughest part is going to be going through the basement wall and up the side of the house. I think I can drill it myself, as some contractors are asking $500 at least to punch through it.

And I am going to use Duraplus triple wall pipe all the way up. Duratech is more expensive. Any way, good luck with your install.

vinny

Another you can do for Easy help. Is add your stoves to your Signature. You have 2 fine units. Let's people know what you got. Then they also don't have to ask what you got, when you need help with something..

I'm using Simpson Triple Wall also and because of the basement install, I too must blast a hole through my Block Wall. Looking forward to the Heat of the Woodstove from the basement. Lots of Hardwood floors upstairs. Hope to get it Warm enough downstairs, to warm the floor upstairs.. I got a few cord of wood already. Going to pick up 3 cord of 2 year season Ash and Sugar Maple (trading a buddy). Your wood should be pretty good. Of its getting a lot of sun and wind. The guy I'm getting the wood from has an Englander 13 that he would sell for $300 o.b.o. Tempting..... I have a large barn in my backyard that I plan to store wood. That would be a good way to make my Wood dry faster. Make it 100 degrees in there.... LOL..

Good luck and don't forget to add a Signature line. You got some expensive stoves.(show them off!, lol)

Another you can do for Easy help. Is add your stoves to your Signature. You have 2 fine units. Let's people know what you got. Then they also don't have to ask what you got, when you need help with something..

I'm using Simpson Triple Wall also and because of the basement install, I too must blast a hole through my Block Wall. Looking forward to the Heat of the Woodstove from the basement. Lots of Hardwood floors upstairs. Hope to get it Warm enough downstairs, to warm the floor upstairs.. I got a few cord of wood already. Going to pick up 3 cord of 2 year season Ash and Sugar Maple (trading a buddy). Your wood should be pretty good. If its getting a lot of sun and wind. The guy I'm getting the wood from has an Englander 13 that he would sell for $300 o.b.o. Tempting..... I have a large barn in my backyard that I plan to store wood. That would be a good way to make my Wood dry faster. Make it 100 degrees in there.... LOL..

Good luck and don't forget to add a Signature line. You got some expensive stoves.(show them off!, lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.