M55 - Exterior Very Hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markinmd

Oct 30, 2010
Maryland
Just had a new Enviro M55 delivered and installed to replace an old Quadra Fire Mt. Vernon. Have run intermittently since it was installed and have noticed that the outside of the stove gets extremely hot to the point you can't even touch it, including the side panels and top. The Mt. Vernon always stayed cool on the exterior (with the exception of the glass and door). Is this normal for the unit or something I should be concerned about? I'll be contacting my dealer to discuss but wanted to see what everyone else is experiencing.

Thanks,

Mark

Not to hijack your thread, but why did you replace the Mt Vernon? I've been trying to decide between an M55 insert or a Mt Vernon and your experience would be interesting to know.
Flynfrfun

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to your question, but hopefully some of the Enviro owners/dealers will chime in.

BTW, we'd LOVE to see some pics of the new install....or, as we say on this forum, no pics=it really didn't happen. :cheese:

Hey Mark, Welcome to the forum!

We need to know what model you have. There is the M55 FS and the M55 Cast FS. I see the M55 FS and cast both have a warning in the manual about getting pretty hot.

WARNING: Parts of the appliance, especially the external surfaces, will be hot to touch
when in operation so use due care.

I am surprised the dealer didn't point that out to you. I would say this is normal. There is a safety on the stove that will shut it down if it gets too hot.

Please post a picture of your new toy when you have a chance. We love looking at stoves and installs.

markinmd said:
Just had a new Enviro M55 delivered and installed to replace an old Quadra Fire Mt. Vernon. Have run intermittently since it was installed and have noticed that the outside of the stove gets extremely hot to the point you can't even touch it, including the side panels and top. The Mt. Vernon always stayed cool on the exterior (with the exception of the glass and door). Is this normal for the unit or something I should be concerned about? I'll be contacting my dealer to discuss but wanted to see what everyone else is experiencing.

Thanks,

Mark

Nice stove and congratulations ! I have the enviromaxx and looked at online enviro manual for the M55 ,
which is similar if you have the steel construction. Yes, the top and outsides of
stove do get extremely hot ! 3rd year burning and am happy so far with the stove. Enjoy !

Thanks for the comments. Did notice in the manual references to the exterior getting hot but was surprised on just how hot it got, especially compared to the old Mt. Vernon which stayed cool on the top and sides. Been running for 4 days now and it's incredible how much heat the unit puts out. The fan doesn't appear to be as powerful as the Mt. Vernon but it seems to put out more heat overall. Still need to connect the programmable thermostat and then should be good to go. Attached is a photo to show the install did actually happen......

Flynfrfun, replaced the old Mt. Vernon for several reasons. It was the old version, not the newer AE. Had it for six years and had smoke issues to the point my wife wanted it gone. It was also maintenance intensive requiring almost daily cleaning to remove clinkers, ash and clean the glass. Had three different companies inspect and service the unit and none could find a problem. Main hassle was when I needed to remove the 4 cast iron plates to do a thorough cleaning - plates were somewhat difficult to remove and heavy. Hopefully the M55 will require much less attention and be easier to clean.

Thanks again for all of the help,

Mark

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 309
Looks great Mark! Thanks for the pic, and enjoy the heat!

Markinmd,
Thanks for the info on the Mt Vernon. I understand most people say they have worked the bugs out of the newer Mt Vernon AE. However, I'm just not quite comfortable with all the automation. I like the M55's agitator much better than the AE's dumping system. The dumping system just seems like it would eventually require a lot of maintenance and aggrivation when it doesn't work right. Also, I don't like the idea of it shutting down, dumping and restarting...seems like too many igniter cycles to me. But, I like the AE's brushless DC blowers and heat exchange design. Like most things in life, nothing seems to be designed "perfect". Now, if Enviro would just put DC motors in the M55, it would probably dominate the market.
Flynfrfun

Flynfrfn, went thru the same decision about the AE. Intended to go with the AE initially but more I researched the more I hesitated. Basically don't like the design of the fire pot and the automated cleaning, plus replacing electronics on the unit is very expensive if there's a problem. Second choice was the Harman XXV but concerned about the bottom feed and ignitor problem reports. Couldn't find any bad reviews on the M55, great reviews by Pelletdude. Loved the look of the flame, the agitator and fact it's manufactured in Canada using Vermont Castings. Only concern was that the agitator assembly adds another level of complexity. Good luck with the decision.

Markinmd,
Thanks, I'm pretty set on the M55 cast insert. I'm going to check it out one more time at the store to make sure. Mainly I want to see if the agitator noise is going to drive me crazy. Have heard some here online that seem kind of loud. When I first visited the Enviro dealer, he fired up the M55 steel FS and I was not impressed with how loud the agitator was. When I asked, he told me he thought it needed to be adjusted. The second time I went to check it out again, it was quiet. But he already had the stove running before I got there, so maybe it was in between agitation cycles? Or they adjusted it, I'm not really sure. At any rate, I'm going back and I want to see it start up from cold and get to operating temp and listen carefully to the agitator. This way, I know what I'm getting before it becomes a permanent part of my house. It's a lot of money to spend and I want to make sure I don't end up hating my stove if it makes what I consider an irritating noise. That was the one thing the Mt Vernon had going for it...it is very quiet. The Enviro dealer probably thinks I'm a little crazy, but I really hate ugly surprises after I've made a purchase.
Flynfrfun

Status
Not open for further replies.