M55/ Gc 60 owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokenwing

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2012
Northern Maryland
I noticed the other day when cleaning the stove, If you open the door to the fire box, and look at the 1/8 inch gap for what I guess is the air wash, how do you clean this. I shined a flash light down in there, and it goes down about 4 inches or so, and I can see fly ash down there. I tried to suck it out with a shop vac, but no such luck. I am wondering If you could take a very tiny piece of tubing and try to suck out the fly ash. If that does not work I might try to take a air compressor and blow it out. There is not much down there, but I could see where it could accumulate over time. It is such a tiny void, with no access!

My Omega has a similar area. I use a smaller tube adapted to the vac hose. I got the adapter with a kit that had all kids of trinkets for cleaning Personal computers. Try to figure out what tube size that will fit down thru the crevis and then look for an adapter that will fit your vacuum hose and the hose that fits.

Sorry if complicated, I have already started the weekend. Couple a brewski's and I begin to babble! Its been a longgggggggggggg week! :oops:

Reactions: Brokenwing
Haven't tried it, but a pipe cleaner would probably be perfect. You know the little fuzzy ones. Don't even know where to get them nowadays. If not that, then a strip of moderately stiff plastic cut to about 1" wide and 6" long would probably knock the fly ash out too.

Thanks guys, I have never thought to clean there, till the other day, and shined a flash light down there, and thought to myself, how the heck am I going to get that out. I know It will not keep the glass clean, this stove builds up ash on the right side of the glass, but still, I need to keep her clean!

Status
Not open for further replies.