M55 Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdavis

Jan 3, 2009
Kent Island
There is a piece of sheet metal attached to the top of the fire box in two places, it is perpendicular to the firebox liner. It is not permanently attached...it has two tangs with holes and the holes kinda sit on tob of these nubs...very descreptive I know.

I believe it could be called the baffle?? Ihave been looking at the enviro tech guide and it is not well represented.

It covers the heating tubes.

The piece is falling and bringing down the fire box liner with it. It has been happening about once a week. I performed a mega cleaning today and noticed it was kinda warped. Well when I fired it up this afternoon...it go BOOM.

I am afraid the fore box liner is going to crack the glass.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking call Enviro. The stove is roughly 30 days new.

call your dealer.. but make sure it's not ash or carbon hanging it up in some way! If its warped, they should replace it at only 30 days...

Shorebilly said:
There is a piece of sheet metal attached to the top of the fire box in two places, it is perpendicular to the firebox liner. It is not permanently attached...it has two tangs with holes and the holes kinda sit on tob of these nubs...very descreptive I know.

I believe it could be called the baffle?? Ihave been looking at the enviro tech guide and it is not well represented.

The piece is falling and bringing down the fire box liner with it. It has been happening about once a week. I performed a mega cleaning today and noticed it was kinda warped. Well when I fired it up this afternoon...it go BOOM.

Any ideas?

I know exactly what piece you are talking about, however, when I replace the pieces of the stove when I do my weekly clean, mine is slightly angled in the firebox. I find that it is a tricky balancing act to get it in the right place. Just a quick question so that I might be able to better help you:
1.) Is yours truly perpendicular? That might be the cause of the problem... While it fits both ways, it is designed to be parallel to the heating tubes as opposed perpendicular to the liner.

Ash Kisser said:
Shorebilly said:

Any ideas?

I know exactly what piece you are talking about, however, when I replace the pieces of the stove when I do my weekly clean, mine is slightly angled in the firebox. I find that it is a tricky balancing act to get it in the right place. Just a quick question so that I might be able to better help you:
1.) Is yours truly perpendicular? That might be the cause of the problem... While it fits both ways, it is designed to be parallel to the heating tubes as opposed perpendicular to the liner.

You are correct...it is parallel to the heating tubes...and it is a balancing act!

Shorebilly said:
Kevin C said:
Check out this video, it may help answer some questions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-0I307J56o&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

thanks. The problem - the baffle does not do a great job of locking in the fire box liner. The baffle is a little warped.
After seeing that video on the M55's baffle I am not at all impressed with that setup.
I guess I am just spoiled with my Quad MT Vernon AE's easy baffle removal and access to the heat exchanger for cleaning, flip and remove the 2 side locks, lift the baffle out and you find the heat exchanger.

Attachments

• Quadrafire 209 (Large).jpg
    Quadrafire 209 (Large).jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 295
Status
Not open for further replies.