M55 Thermostat Hookup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markinmd

Oct 30, 2010
Maryland
Just pulled the side cover of our new M55 to hookup our programmable thermostat. Once I looked at the circuit board it does not appear to match the wiring diagram so I'm not sure where to hook up the thermostat wires. In the wiring diagram the thermostat terminal appears to be on the bottom of the circuit board, but it does not appear to be there on the actually board. There is however an identical terminal (blue, square in shape with screws) on the upper part of the circuit board (and no, I'm not looking at it upside down :) ) with two red wires which go to a plug/terminal on the back of the stove. Pretty sure that is the hookup but I'm going to contact Enviro to make sure. Has anyone hooked up a thermostat and encountered a similar problem? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

My Omega had wires to the board already. They were terminated with spade connectors on the back of the stove. I just hooked my stat to them.

Snap a picture and post. I'll figure it out for you.

The terminal and red wires in question do terminate in a spade connection on the back of the stove. Pretty sure that is the connection point, just need to confirm it. The wiring diagram does not show the red wires or terminal on the back of the stove so little wary of doing any electrical connections until I'm sure.

I hooked up a programmable thermostat on the Enviro M55 and it's working wonders. You're right about hooking it up on the plug at the back where the 2 red wires come together in it. All I did was to get a couple of terminals hooking them up to the wires coming from the thermostat. And Voila!! All working good.

I love the option of having the programmable thermostat as it makes the pellet consumption a lot more efficient :) It's only 35 bucks at the Home Depot :)

Thanks for posting this question. I just got my new M55 insert last weekend and will be installing this weekend. I've spent the last couple of days getting everything prepped/reading the manual and noticed the same thing. That is, the manual doesn't match the actual stove assembly.

I also wanted to say thanks to everyone on this site. I've spent the last couple months trying to decide on which insert to buy and all the great information on here certainly helped make up my mind. By the way, this is my 2nd stove. I have a Quad Castille freestanding unit in my finished basement, but it's not sufficient enough to heat the whole house. I'm hoping the M55 will take of that issue for me!

I'll post some pictures once I get it installed........can't wait!

Mike

Just heard back from Enviro and they did confirm that the red wires and spade connection on the back of the stove are for the thermostat connection. I'll be hooking it up tonight.

Thanks for all the help,

Mark

markinmd said:
Just heard back from Enviro and they did confirm that the red wires and spade connection on the back of the stove are for the thermostat connection. I'll be hooking it up tonight.

Thanks for all the help,

Mark

Mark, report back to the forum how it goes, and also how you like having the stat.

BenX said:
Can anyone tell me what model of thermostat they used successfully. The one I connected does not seem to work properly.

Any thermostat that is rated for millivolt will work.

Mine is a Lux TX500e

I use the SKYTECH 5310P. Works great.

cgbarbosa said:
I hooked up a programmable thermostat on the Enviro M55 and it's working wonders. You're right about hooking it up on the plug at the back where the 2 red wires come together in it. All I did was to get a couple of terminals hooking them up to the wires coming from the thermostat. And Voila!! All working good.

I love the option of having the programmable thermostat as it makes the pellet consumption a lot more efficient :) It's only 35 bucks at the Home Depot :)

What model did you get from Home Depot for that price. I would like to get one but not really wanting to spend over $100 for the Skytech. Thanks

With my stove on high/low mode, it seems to stay in low and never goes into high even when the thermostat is calling for heat. Any ideas?

Ben
try switching to hilo when stove is off. what kind of thermostat do you have. It has to be millivolt

Its an Enviro m55 stove insert. There is not a thermostat switch that I know of. A thermostat is required to run in high/low mode. The thermostat i'm using is a NOMA programmable. It is millivolt compatible.

I thought the insert was the same as the freestanding. My m55cast fs has a switch for manual hi/lo multifuel.

I just looked at the owners manual at enviro.com and it shows a switch just to the left of the pellet fuel type button

Status
Not open for further replies.