M55 Tstat operation - did I switch the wires????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whlago

Feeling the Heat
Nov 30, 2011
NW Connecticut
Ok....so I hooked up the tstat (Lux TX500U) with the stove on Hi/Low and the heat setting 3. It appears the stove is on low when it should be calling for heat. If I change the heat setting to 5 it still looks like it still has a flame similar to the low setting.

At the tstat I hooked the red wire up to the RH and the white wire to C. At the stove I didn't think it mattered which wire went where. Should I try switching the wires at the stove? I'm sure I screwed up somewhere....just not sure where. Thanks for your help
Joe

I believe you should have one wire on the RH and the other on the W , at least thats how the Lux DMH 110 is hooked up.

Just checked the instuction for the TX500U and it should be the RH and the W1.

I just saw that in the wiring diagram....read it wrong. I am shutting the stove down now to change it and see what happens. Thanks

ByCo said:
I believe you should have one wire on the RH and the other on the W , at least thats how the Lux DMH 110 is hooked up.

Yuph, I do believe C is for cooling.

1Dtml said:
ByCo said:

Yuph, I do believe C is for cooling.

yup...thats whats happening....I'm friggin cold!

Should the RH-RC Jumper be removed? It seems like the stove is still doing the same thing after moving the white wire to W.

whlago said:
Should the RH-RC Jumper be removed? It seems like the stove is still doing the same thing after moving the white wire to W.

I do, but it's not absolutely necessary.

so I'll remove that...but you think it won't change a thing? Not sure why this is happening...the tstat indicates that it is calling for heat...the stove is on hi/low.

ok....jumper removed from tstat....before I plug back in any need to switch the wires at the stove? I think not but thought I'd ask before another start up shut down cycle begins.

The jumper only connects the hot side(RH) of the heat to the hot side(RC) of the cool, so as long as you have the red on the RH it will work with or without the jumper.
The W completes the circuit, and is where the second usually white wire goes to.
You may have to turn on a selector switch to heat from cool, but this depends on the t-stat.

At the stove there should be only two wires for the T-stat (usually both red at least with Enviro), and it shouldn't matter which wire goes to what.

Good luck, and I hope you are warm soon. ;-)

1D

ok...starting up again...Not very confident since it seems removing the jumper won't do anything. Looking back at the Lux manual maybe I should mention that I kept all 8 switches in the default (down) location. Looking back the only one I am not comfortable with is the 1st switch --- the system switch- Down for majority of all heating systems , eg. natural gas furnace, hot water baseboard and oil heat. Up would be for heat pump unit. Should it be up?

As I write this the startup cycle is done and the stove still on the low setting even though I change the heat setting to the upper levels.

I'm thinking that is won't let you change the settings during the start up cycle, so try to change the settings after the start up cycle is complete.

1Dtml said:
I'm thinking that is won't let you change the settings during the start up cycle, so try to change the settings after the start up cycle is complete.

You mean the stove settings 1D? Yes I wait until the startup cycle completes before I change anything. I'm thinking it may be that tstat system setting but no mas for tonight. Turning tstat off and entering manual mode for the stove to get some heat in here and try again tomorrow. I will give Lux a call tomorrow to see what the switch #1 setting on the stat needs to be for a pellet stove. Otherwise I'm at a loss.

Trying manual mode is a good idea.

1D

whlago said:
1Dtml said:

You mean the stove settings 1D? Yes I wait until the startup cycle completes before I change anything. I'm thinking it may be that tstat system setting but no mas for tonight. Turning tstat off and entering manual mode for the stove to get some heat in here and try again tomorrow. I will give Lux a call tomorrow to see what the switch #1 setting on the stat needs to be for a pellet stove. Otherwise I'm at a loss.

Just a thought....you DID remove the jumper wire on the stove stat connection, right?

imacman said:
whlago said:
1Dtml said:

Just a thought....you DID remove the jumper wire on the stove stat connection, right?

Ok Imacman...now you have me worried...I know it states there should be a jumper on the stove stat connection, but I didn't see any. Where the red wires came out of the connector to the plug in connector exterior to the stove, I took those out and connected the stat wire direct to the connector attached to the circuit board..didn't see any jumpers.

Are you able to change the heat settings when on manual mode?

1Dtml said:

Yes, with the stove in manual mode and the tstat off, the heat settings change normally.

whlago said:
...I know it states there should be a jumper on the stove stat connection, but I didn't see any. Where the red wires came out of the connector to the plug in connector exterior to the stove, I took those out and connected the stat wire direct to the connector attached to the circuit board..didn't see any jumpers.

Well, there should have been one there when it came from the factory, AFAIK. It is a pretty thin piece of wire....maybe it fell out when you loosened the screws.

I'd double check w/ a flashlight. The wires from the stat should go direct to the stat terminals on the stove, as seen on P. 8 in the Technical manual.

whlago said:
1Dtml said:

Yes, with the stove in manual mode and the tstat off, the heat settings change normally.

My stove is the insert version, so I'm not sure if your stove has the same hopper cover.

Does your hopper cover slide forward to load, and is your control board under this hopper cover?

If this is the case than the hopper cover can and will turn the mode switch to manual as you are sliding the hopper cover, thus not allowing the t-stat to be active.

I have learned to apply pressure when opening and closing the top so it doesn't touch the mode switch.

imacman said:
whlago said:
...I know it states there should be a jumper on the stove stat connection, but I didn't see any. Where the red wires came out of the connector to the plug in connector exterior to the stove, I took those out and connected the stat wire direct to the connector attached to the circuit board..didn't see any jumpers.

Well, there should have been one there when it came from the factory, AFAIK. It is a pretty thin piece of wire....maybe it fell out when you loosened the screws.

I'd double check w/ a flashlight. The wires from the stat should go direct to the stat terminals on the stove, as seen on P. 8 in the Technical manual.

I know but take a look at Nailer's picture in this thread:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/91701/

That's the set up I have on mine, only I bypassed that outside connection, disconnected the wires from the terminal and connected the Tstat wire directly to the terminal.

SmokeyTheBear said:
What is your temperature selector switch set to?

It best be heat.

Heat it was...one of the many things I double and triple checked....as well as the time/date/heat settings on the program.

You can rule out the t-stat as the problem by simply taking the red & white off the t-stat and short them together to complete the circuit. This will act as if the t-stat is calling for heat. If it still doesn't work than the problem is at the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.