M55 turbo convection blower is in!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flynfrfun

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2010
Bonney Lake, WA
Just to let you M55 owners know...the new "turbo" convection blower is now available. I intend to get one and see what I think once I start burning this winter. I hope this improves the heat output. I think it will help the stove to run cooler and people won't have problems with the high limit switch tripping. I'm thinking those who have had the auger plate modification might not need it if using the turbo blower (speculation on my part). Anyways, below is the email from Enviro....

We do have a blower that is improved and moves the air better and it is included with the units that are now being built. The part # is 50-2481 convection blower and you can purchase one of these through your dealer.

Regards,
Judy Prier
Sales & Marketing
Sherwood Industries Ltd.

That's good to hear, I wasn't plugging the M55 cast because of the whimpy convection blower. Please keep us posted on how it works.

Kudo's to Enviro for being on the ball!

J-,
Actually, I think all versions of the M55 share the same convection blower. So, I would assume the new blower would fit all of them.
Flynfrfun

Correct, But for some reason(might be board programming-Actual speed setting of the blower in the lower heat ranges?) the FS version has less complaints about lack of convection air. I also believe it didn't have the overheat issue the cast had AFAIK anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Any idea what the new CFM rating is???

J,
Not sure what the new CFM is going to be. I hope it is better than the old one (design wise). I had 2 of them start squealing last winter. The squealing comes from the bushing on the side opposite the motor. Oiling the bushing helped, but only temporarily. I'm going to try to get my dealer to get me the new blower as mine is still under warranty. I oiled the 2nd one in the spring and it stopped squealing, but I'm sure it will start up again at some point. The other thing I noticed is that the blower motor gets extremely HOT. So hot that I burned myself on it 30 minutes after my stove had shut down. The stove doesn't get that hot back there, so I'm thinking it might be undersized for it's application. But, I'm not an expert in that area, maybe it's normal for them to get that hot.
Flynfrfun

flynfrfun said:
Just to let you M55 owners know...the new "turbo" convection blower is now available. I intend to get one and see what I think once I start burning this winter. I hope this improves the heat output. I think it will help the stove to run cooler and people won't have problems with the high limit switch tripping. I'm thinking those who have had the auger plate modification might not need it if using the turbo blower (speculation on my part). Anyways, below is the email from Enviro....

We do have a blower that is improved and moves the air better and it is included with the units that are now being built. The part # is 50-2481 convection blower and you can purchase one of these through your dealer.

Regards,
Judy Prier
Sales & Marketing
Sherwood Industries Ltd.

Any idea on a price?

My dealer is going to replace my old convection blower under warranty. It was squealing last spring. I knew they were coming out with a new one, so I told him I would hold off on replacing it until it came out. Once I get it installed, I'll let you guys know what I think. Maybe I'll take pics if it looks any different than the old syle.
Flynfrfun

I just bought a m55. How would I tell what motor it has? Old or new?

I should be able to tell you when mine comes in. Might be a week or more though.
Flynfrfun

Millsk said:
I just bought a m55. How would I tell what motor it has? Old or new?

OK, here are pics of the new blower. I have installed it and have been testing for a day or so. As you can see the squirrel cage part looks to be the same. But the motor is completely different. The whole black disk spins. Appears to be some sort of outrunner motor. It puts out a lot more air compared to the old one. Of course it's noisier, but not bad.

I have emailed Enviro because mine has an electrical "hum" (like a transformer kind of hum). Don't know yet if this is normal or not as I have no other stove with the new motor to compare it to. The hum seems to be independent of blower speed. In other words the hum stays the same volume and frequency no matter what fan speed I turn it to. On low the hum becomes much more apparent.

Attachments

• IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,162
  • IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 1,128
  • IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,057
Shure looks like a EBM-Papst. Yep, Breckwell and Quad oldies had them. Dependable but pricey.

Any model numbers on it?

hmm do you have a picture of the old blower?

That looks similar to the blower I have...

Millsk said:
hmm do you have a picture of the old blower?

That looks similar to the blower I have...

Yes...here is the old one:

Attachments

• IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,069
j-takeman said:
Shure looks like a EBM-Papst. Yep, Breckwell and Quad oldies had them. Dependable but pricey.

Any model numbers on it?

I can check next time I have my stove out. I do remember it was made in Germany.

Figured out what the hum was. I had installed the blower and it ended up touching the heat exchanger area where it's not supposed to. I adjusted it and now the hum is all but gone. It sure puts out a lot more air than the old one!
Flynfrfun

Glad it was something simple. How about the noise level, Does it sound louder then the original? Some might be annoyed if it is severely louder in say the living room are.

j-takeman said:
Glad it was something simple. How about the noise level, Does it sound louder then the original? Some might be annoyed if it is severely louder in say the living room are.

Yes, it is quite a bit louder. I would have to say probably on par with most stoves. Can't say it's super quiet any more. In my opinion they jumped up in blower output way too much. I wish they would have just kicked it up a notch, instead of about a 100% increase in output. It really blows some air though...
Flynfrfun

Looks like new M55s do have the newer blower. I bought mine in Sept. and it has the new model.

I talked to dealer yesterday and they are going to order me one of these blowers. I have the FS in steel but I assume that the part number above will also fit this model. I am also hoping it is not too loud. I love how the stove is near silent now. I do hear a slight turn of the auger feeding pellets but that is it. If the agitator gets dirty you might hear a little noise there too.

Not sure when mine will be in but hoping it will be soon. Little nervous now because of noise.

I'll post feedback when I have it installed. I may keep the other one till I actually listen to the new one.

JimmyJ said:
I talked to dealer yesterday and they are going to order me one of these blowers. I have the FS in steel but I assume that the part number above will also fit this model. I am also hoping it is not too loud. I love how the stove is near silent now. I do hear a slight turn of the auger feeding pellets but that is it. If the agitator gets dirty you might hear a little noise there too.

Not sure when mine will be in but hoping it will be soon. Little nervous now because of noise.

I'll post feedback when I have it installed. I may keep the other one till I actually listen to the new one.

Please post your thoughts once you get it installed.

Could you guys/gals get me some numbers please, I'll need numbers to see if we have any OEM stuff that might be slightly bigger than the original, But smaller than the upgrade. What I'll need is the numbers from the blower, Not the Enviro numbers. I might be able to cross things with a little digging! Please pass on all numbers on the blower housing old and new!

JimmyJ said:

You'll want to hang on to your old unit. The blower isn't what I would call loud, but it is certainly not near silent. The wife and I can whisper to each other with no problem, but the blower noise is there.

J-,
Here are #'s from the old blower: (I took them before returning it to my Enviro dealer)

I'm thinking about buying the old version and then doing that variable speed setup you told me about earlier this year. It put out a decent amount of air on heat level 5 and was still pretty quiet. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the reason why is because the new blower has a slightly smaller diameter squirrel cage. So, it has to spin faster which will create more noise. But, I will wait to see what others say about their new blowers. If theirs is pretty quiet, maybe mine is a defect after all.

Attachments

• IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 736
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 680
Did some digging. I found the trial web site and had to register to get a catalog.

Trial 8A137B-011
80mm
137mm
950 rpm
63pa(max pressure) no cfm listed.

Looking at the EBMPapst the motor number is M2E068-BF70 RPM looks like 2800. Blower looks to be roughly same size, just a heck of a lot more RPM's. I didn't see a model number on the blower, It could help in my digging if someone finds it.

Status
Not open for further replies.