M55 turbo convection blower is in!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on having my insert out again this weekend, so I'll get it for you then. Going to put some Lytherm gasket material under the rails while it's out. Since my setup is "built in" and not in a masonry fireplace, I tend to get some minor resonance from the fans and motors which transfers thru the house. I figure the lytherm should help isolate the stove from the tile. I also plan on putting a lytherm layer between the convection motor and where it mounts to the stove frame. It should isolate it kind of like how the exhaust blower is isolated. As you know I'm a tinkerer. The stove is fine as is, but I like to fine tune things. :)

j-takeman said:
Did some digging. I found the trial web site and had to register to get a catalog.

Trial 8A137B-011
80mm
137mm
950 rpm
63pa(max pressure) no cfm listed.

Looking at the EBMPapst the motor number is M2E068-BF70 RPM looks like 2800. Blower looks to be roughly same size, just a heck of a lot more RPM's. I didn't see a model number on the blower, It could help in my digging if someone finds it.

J-
Did they have any blowers less than 2800rpm?

flynfrfun said:
j-takeman said:
Did some digging. I found the trial web site and had to register to get a catalog.

Trial 8A137B-011
80mm
137mm
950 rpm
63pa(max pressure) no cfm listed.

Looking at the EBMPapst the motor number is M2E068-BF70 RPM looks like 2800. Blower looks to be roughly same size, just a heck of a lot more RPM's. I didn't see a model number on the blower, It could help in my digging if someone finds it.

J-
Did they have any blowers less than 2800rpm?

They have a funny motor system. I downloaded the catalog. But haven't had time to go thru it yet. Still digging.

I did find a place that has EBM's rather cheap. Have a look and see if there is something close.

http://www.galco.com/scripts/cgiip....115VAC&itemsperpage=50&pagenum=1&qo;=&mfc=EBM

Noise is subjective, so what is noisy to one is not to another. I'd say the new blower is quite a bit noisier than the old. I'm planning on putting Lytherm gasket material between it and the stove frame. That might isolate it enough to make a difference. Also, I own the insert and they tend to be noisier than the freestanding. That being said, I have seen one other post where the person said it was barely noisier than the old one. I believe that was on a steel FS unit. Of course there will be manufacturing variances from one fan unit to another. Also, I'm not talking air noise...mine has a slight motor whine. If I hear a lot of people say theirs is almost as quiet as the old one, then I'll start thinking mine has a defect. Otherwise, my wife and I am really happy with the amount of heat it puts into the room compared to the old one....HUGE difference! I believe it is heating our house much better than before.

This post seems to have taken a few turns along the way but here are a few comments that I can make about my stove:

1. I am heating just around 2200sq/ft. With the mild temps that we are having now in NH, I can keep the stove at heat level #1 and the house stays in the upper 60s downstairs and mid to upper 60s upstairs.

2. At heat level #1, the stove burns just a about 1 bag in a 24 hour period. I believe that my auger trim is at 2 and convection blower is at 3. I will have to check to be 100% sure. Pellet type setting is Premium.

3. I can easily get more than 1 bag of pellets in the stove. I have never measure the amount, but it has to be close to the 60 pounds that the manufacturer states will fit in the stove. Have to really get my hands in there and push the pellets into the back of the hopper.

4. When the temps start to get much lower (35 or less) for a consistent amount of time, I run the stove in Hi/Low mode with the Hi level being at heat level #3. With this, I have never had the high limit switch trip. Pellet consumption in the mode is surely going to change with the outside temps, and I have not owned the stove long enough in the really cold season to get an accurate measure. However, I don't think that it will be in the 3 to 4 bags per day range as is the issue with the person that started this thread.

5. I bought the stove last February, so I am not sure what blower is in it, however, it is nice and quite and I was able to compare it side by side with an Accentra and the M55 was much, much quieter. When I clean the stove this weekend I will take a peek at the blower to see which one I got. The air that comes out is nice and hot and seems to be doing a fine job heating our house (8 1/2 years old and very well insulated) so I don't see any reason to change it if it is the older fan motor.

Woops, put my last post on the wrong thread. That'l teach me for trying power blog!!!

Hi flynfrfun, can you give us an update on the new blower now that you have some time with it? I'm curious to know if it is worth the expense and possible increase in noise.

The turbo blower is working great. It definitely puts more heat into the house compared to the old one. I'm pretty well used to the noise level which is significantly more than the old...only because the old one was almost silent.

I tried to order the old blower from my dealer but he couldn't get it. I'd really like to put it back on and then wire in a fan control and just run it on hi. I do miss how quiet the stove used to be. The new blower in my opinion has a slight "whine" to it almost like if you could barely hear your neighbor using a vacuum. It's not "in your face" kind of whine, but a very slight in the background. Keep in mind that I'm a perfectionist, so am listening for anything annoying. If I knew the noise increase before I changed over, I would still be 50/50 on whether to do it or not. Let me put it another way...old blower I didn't have to turn up the TV volume (TV is 5' from stove), new blower TV volume is up about 3 clicks.

About my best advice is that it would be worth trying if you're curious. You will probably notice a big increase in the heat the stove puts out. In a very cold climate, I'd say it would be worth the extra noise as it should help heat the house better.

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the update! Was the new blower cost covered under warranty? I know that mine would not be considering it is running just fine so I think I would rather put the money into a ton or two of pellets. Maybe I will do it over the summer, then the noise increase won't be as noticeable either since I would not be going directly from the old blower to the new blower.

I believe they upgraded the blower due to overheating issues with the insert. If this is the case I would think you should be able to get the new one for free. I have the new one and the only reason I think its loud is because the dealer has same stove with the old blower and it is very quiet. Compared to my old stove its the same. I would guess its on par with most stoves. Its not an issue for me and it throws the heat much better.

Brad,
My old one started squealing, so I asked for the new one during the warranty exchange. I don't know if Enviro is admitting that the new blower is the fix for the overheating. So, getting a warranty exchange for the new one might be a little difficult if it's working OK. They said the adjustable auger plate is the fix. But, IMHO I think the real reason they went with a bigger fan is because of how hot the stove got with the old one. Especially if you burn a hot pellet. I heard of some guys that were just fine with the old blower until they changed over to Okanagans or some other hot pellet and all of a sudden the high limit switch kept tripping. It was because their stove was on the ragged edge of being too hot, then add in a hotter pellet and that's all it took.

Edit: One plus to the new blower is that it keeps the stove much cooler. Probably a good thing for the electronics...especially the control touch pad on the insert since it is up by the hopper.

So far I have not had the high limit switch get tripped due to a high temp. I have been burning NEWP 95% of the time, but have 3 tons of Okies waiting in the barn. I guess I will f ind out if they cause high temp issues fairly soon. I want to keep the 1/2 ton of NEWP for late winter so Okies are going to be going into the hopper very soon.

Mine never did trip the high limit either...until I tried 2 bags of Bear Mtn pellets. Then it finally tripped. With the new blower, I can tell by how cool the stove is that it will likely never even come close to tripping it again.

So I picked up my m55 two months ago ordered from my local dealer should I have the new style motor? So far seems fine how do I tell which one I have?

Thanks Im on it I'm just not going to open my new unit unless I can get to it from the side or without disconnecting the venting to see the motor. I would though love to know which motor I do have.

I know this thread is old but here we are almost exactly one year this thread was started and I have the same problems. I have a M55 Cast FS. I've had it for about 2 3/4 years. From day one I have never been able to turn it on or above 3 without it popping the reset. I have always thought the blower was suspect as it always sounded like it was rubbing. Well last night we are in bed and the blower started making such a racket it woke my kids up who were upstairs. I ran down and turned the stove off. This evening I took the stove apart and found that the end of the bower opposite the motor actually came out of the bracket! Upon examination I can see why this has always been a problem. The riveted cast bracket on the fan side of the motor is visibly crooked. So from day one this thing has been running at an angle and rubbing. The bushing that goes on the shaft is completely shot. I wish I had complained earlier.

I have the old Trial 8A137B-011 blower. I'm in NW Connecticut and need to find someone that can order me the new blower. Anyone on the board here know of someone dependable? I bought it from V&V in New Milford but I can not get anyone to ever call me back. They take a message and I never get a call back. I left a message tonight at the place in Naugatuck (off the Enviro site). I have to get this stove up and running as soon as possible and will even travel if necessary. Again I apologize for resurrecting this old thread.

Thanks,
Dana

I know this thread is old but here we are almost exactly one year this thread was started and I have the same problems. I have a M55 Cast FS. I've had it for about 2 3/4 years. From day one I have never been able to turn it on or above 3 without it popping the reset. I have always thought the blower was suspect as it always sounded like it was rubbing. Well last night we are in bed and the blower started making such a racket it woke my kids up who were upstairs. I ran down and turned the stove off. This evening I took the stove apart and found that the end of the bower opposite the motor actually came out of the bracket! Upon examination I can see why this has always been a problem. The riveted cast bracket on the fan side of the motor is visibly crooked. So from day one this thing has been running at an angle and rubbing. The bushing that goes on the shaft is completely shot. I wish I had complained earlier.

I have the old Trial 8A137B-011 blower. I'm in NW Connecticut and need to find someone that can order me the new blower. Anyone on the board here know of someone dependable? I bought it from V&V in New Milford but I can not get anyone to ever call me back. They take a message and I never get a call back. I left a message tonight at the place in Naugatuck (off the Enviro site). I have to get this stove up and running as soon as possible and will even travel if necessary. Again I apologize for resurrecting this old thread.

Thanks,
Dana

I read my PM before I read this post. V&V didn't give me much of a warm feeling when I was looking at stoves. To bad they sold you a unit and don't help after the sale! Pretty crappy IMHO.

Try Long Pond. Good guy to deal with and If you mention my name he won't raise the price any(kidding). He is a member here pelletdude
https://www.hearth.com/talk/conversations/add?to=pelletdude

Also we have another member that sells Enviro(stovelark), He may be a little closer. Hopefully he chimes in and enlists his services. Send him a PM.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/conversations/add?to=stovelark

Hi Dana If you need a blower, I'd call Gabe at Preston Trading Post he'll probably have one. PTP 8608861484, they'll ship it to you if in stock. If you need it installed, you can try Cedar Mountain Stoves 8604366387, they'll probably have to order one in for you. Good luck with that. The M55 has been a great stove, its achilles heel if it had one was the convex blower but to achieve the quietness they desired, it kinda had to be that way. The new turbo blower has worked out fine, its just not the super quiet stove it was and it does disappoint some folks that are used to the quietness prior.

Stovelark
Enviro EF3 FS pellet
Enviro Empress FPI AC
Enviro Kodiak 1700 FS wood (burning presently)

Thanks! I tried the people local to me. I had to leave messages and never got a call back from anyone. I just called PTP and though I had to wait a couple of minutes to get someone on the phone but I was promptly helped by people who knew exactly what a needed. Unfortunately they only had the old blower in stock but I have the newer one ordered and hopefully will have in a few days.

Glad it worked out. Good luck Gabe and Joe at PTP good people to keep in mind for parts and info.

Stovelark

Not that I have heard. Mine still makes that same noise. I've gotten used to it now. But, I do plan on more experiments down the road. I think the noise might be caused by the curvature of the blower vanes. It may not be possible to fix without a different squirrel cage. I tried taping over the holes in the end of the motor (black endbell) thinking they may be "whistling", but it didn't make a difference. I have thought about adding some vanes to direct the air that is exiting the blower in case it is setting up a whistle at that location. I wish I still had the old blower. I would like to retrofit the new blower with the old blower's squirrel cage and see if the noise is still there. At least that would tell me whether it's the blower or the motor making the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.